What do you Spend/waste money on ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Deleted User 728

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Selby White wrote:Continued from my previous post :-

My other big spend is I play on the national tournament circuit

.. er .. have I missed something ?? :wtf:

What "activity" is the tournament circuit of which you speak ?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:
Selby White wrote:Continued from my previous post :-

My other big spend is I play on the national tournament circuit

.. er .. have I missed something ?? :wtf:

What "activity" is the tournament circuit of which you speak ?
Whoops it's table tennis, my mistake trying to cook our Sunday meal as I write. :oops:
Now corrected :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

My mind - not exactly clean at the best of times - was beginning to boggle ;)
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Gigs and festivals and holidays. The rest is just frittered away. :)
Last edited by Sniffer on 26 Mar 2018, 22:19, edited 2 times in total.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

Firstly its the kids and family holidays or days out, then for myself its photographic equipment (a long term process of continual upgrades) and then a few trips and travel on my own or with a coupel of mates to go and use the said camera equipment
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

10 years in our house this year. Moved in before it was fully finished, then kids came along, so trying to get some outstanding jobs completed now:

Garage (28' x 17')
Front & side wall (110m)
Fence other side (50m)
Driveway gates
Plaster boundary walls
Paint (in and out)
Repairs to heat and plumbing
Some soft furnishings to finish a couple of rooms

Budget 16,000 euros :cry: ...
Just 360 euros over budget so far, but doing a lot of the small plumbing/painting myself and the Father in Law is a builder, so no labour costs for the garage and walls means I might just squeak in under the total...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 728

Loving this thread :D
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Apart from the above, my only 'luxury' is 3 pints on a Friday or Saturday evening when the kids are tucked in bed. Herself enjoys the couple of hours to catch up on her TV programmes (Away in a Home, or whatever it's called). Otherwise most spare cash is spent on kids football (both gaelic and 'soccer'), karate and swimming lessons.

We took our first family holiday abroad in May of last year - a week in the Algarve, beautiful 2 bedroom apartment on the beach - 1,300 euros the lot, flights, accom, transfers. Made a promise that we'd go every year so looking at October now. Small problem tho... have realised that we fluked a brilliant deal last time and there's nothing remotely similar in value this year. To spend the same budget, we're looking at a 1 bed apartment, not on the beach. Pity.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Interesting subject!
I guess for me it's just football, holidays and cars these days. For Leeds, now that I'm getting the over 60s reduced rate home and away season tickets I reckon I'm spending about £2,500 to £3,000 just on doing the Leeds games - including season tickets, travel and booze. Then add to that about £500 on various other games.

Holidays is the big one for us these days - we tend to do one big trip each year and then about half a dozen smaller ones. We've just booked up our main trip for this year - doing Toronto, Niagra Falls, Washington and Boston this time. Then we'll arrange long weekends and 4 or 5 day trips to places in Europe that we haven't yet been too. It's not really a bucket list, we just look at the atlas and think "what about such and such a place". The only bucket list thing I have is to do all the overseas Grand Prix - we were supposed to be doing Singapore this year but it doesn't tie in with the international break; I don't mind missing games but then we came up with the Canada and USA trip first. This time last year I was in Oz for the Australian GP.... and to visit our lad out there of course - so we often build our main holiday around the grand prix.

Cars I find is a huge expense - all my working life I had a fully expensed company car so it has come hard having to actually buy them and then put fuel in em! The wife always had a car allowance until she packed up work too so it's a double whammy! We tend to swap them every three to four years.

Of the top of my head I can't think of anything else that I spend/waste money on - although I am still forking out £77 a month on Sky TV! Incidentally, that was supposed to go up to £86 this month but I rang them up and complained and they straight away said they'd put it down to £77 for me!!!! In fact Iv'e recently discovered that you shouldn't accept any price for anything (I know Barlow Boy often does this too) - I rang and moaned when they put our motor insurance up this year, they put it back down to the same as the previous year; they tried to charge me more for my boiler and heating cover, did the same with that and they instantly put it back down! The moral of the story is, ring them and complain!
Deleted User 728

dlw10 wrote:The moral of the story is, ring them and complain!
Absolutely.
You can actually do this in shops too as the laws of the land state that the price is only an "invitation to treat" so prices aren't enforceable in any way.
Obviously don't waste your time trying to get 10p off a chocolate bar, but if you're spending over a ton on anything I would ask the question "Is that your best price ?" or "Is that the best you can do for me ?"
Usually you'll either get a little off for paying cash or you might get a free accessory if it's a TV or something bigger like that.

My car insurance has actually come in lower this year - I'm about to renew - but I'm still going to look around and see what I can get. It's only about £200 anyway, but the lower the better :)

Also, I just bought some new storage racks for my CD collection and as I wanted two of them I emailed the company and asked for a discount.
They were trading on eBay and were happy to give me a lower price so long as I paid direct via PayPal while avoiding the actual site itself, as it saves them on fees so it was a win-win for both of us :)