Whats your Favourite UK Cities ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Whats your Favourite UK Cities ?

Post by kk white »

Not much to do in Ballinasloe (very close to where I now live - you'll see the signposts for my house :lol: ), but as you said Athlone is nearby. The wonderful (my adopted) city of Galway is just 10 mins further in the opposite direction.
You are just north of central Ireland in Ballinasloe, so most places would be no more than a 2 hour drive, tho the coasts of the sunny south-east and Burren/Kerry/Cork south-west would be closer to 3 hours.
We can put you right when it's closer to September anyway... :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

kk_white wrote:Not much to do in Ballinasloe (very close to where I now live - you'll see the signposts for my house :lol: ), but as you said Athlone is nearby. The wonderful (my adopted) city of Galway is just 10 mins further in the opposite direction.
You are just north of central Ireland in Ballinasloe, so most places would be no more than a 2 hour drive, tho the coasts of the sunny south-east and Burren/Kerry/Cork south-west would be closer to 3 hours.
Thanks KK
Its a tiny village we are staying in as I've just looked at our booking, a place called "New Inn", (thats the name of the village not the Pub).
Don't mind the quiet area after hard day touring or walking as long as we have plenty of wine in stock :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

Selby White wrote:
kk_white wrote:Not much to do in Ballinasloe (very close to where I now live - you'll see the signposts for my house :lol: ), but as you said Athlone is nearby. The wonderful (my adopted) city of Galway is just 10 mins further in the opposite direction.
Thanks KK
Its a tiny village we are staying in as I've just looked at our booking, a place called "New Inn", (thats the name of the village not the Pub).
Don't mind the quiet area after hard day touring or walking as long as we have plenty of wine in stock :thumbup:

If you like walking then look no further than the Mourne Mountains when in the north. The town of Newcastle sits at the bottom. The coastline has some great views. :thumbup:

Also we have been to Kilkenny for the past 2 years and love it.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Gilford_NI_Whites wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Thanks KK

If you like walking then look no further than the Mourne Mountains when in the north. The town of Newcastle sits at the bottom. The coastline has some great views. :thumbup:

Some fantastic walks in the Mournes, well worth a visit but I know your stuck for time, visit 2 perhaps. You'll love the North coast as well (as we've discussed) stunning scenary.

Hope to grab a pint during your travels :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Gilford_NI_Whites wrote:If you like walking then look no further than the Mourne Mountains when in the north. The town of Newcastle sits at the bottom. The coastline has some great views. :thumbup:

This 100%.
My father-in-law is originally from Camlough just outside Newry, though his family moved to Omeath, highest house in the Cooley mountains. Unspoiled view looking across Carlingford Lough to the Mourne's. We spend a beautiful week up there with the kids every year. You must know the area well Gilford (assuming Gilford is your home town)?
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Some great advice on here and taking it all onboard.
Mourne mountains is a good call (thanks Gilford) but will as Davy says be in the locker for trip 2.
This trip our NI part is only 3 days/4nights and are staying at Coleraine, her indoors wants to see the giants causeway.
Will spend one day in Belfast that's for sure.

So reckon when we come over for trip 2 will try stay south of Belfast for the NI part then maybe your the East Coast and down to Kilkenny as KK suggests.

Thanks for all the great input.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

Leeds
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Gilford_NI_Whites

kk_white wrote:
Gilford_NI_Whites wrote:If you like walking then look no further than the Mourne Mountains when in the north. The town of Newcastle sits at the bottom. The coastline has some great views. :thumbup:

This 100%.
My father-in-law is originally from Camlough just outside Newry, though his family moved to Omeath, highest house in the Cooley mountains. Unspoiled view looking across Carlingford Lough to the Mourne's. We spend a beautiful week up there with the kids every year. You must know the area well Gilford (assuming Gilford is your home town)?
Yeah know it well enough. Also know Cooley. My grandfather came from Cooley. It's a small world :D
Gilford_NI_Whites

Davycc wrote:
Gilford_NI_Whites wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Thanks KK

Some fantastic walks in the Mournes, well worth a visit but I know your stuck for time, visit 2 perhaps. You'll love the North coast as well (as we've discussed) stunning scenary.

Hope to grab a pint during your travels :thumbup:
Hey Davy, stop stealing our tourists. :D
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Love York & Harrogate for a day out, but for a long weekend it has to be Oxford. There's a lovely pub just outside Oxford that has converted 4 stables into bedrooms where we have stayed a few times. Supposed to be going again in a couple of weeks when treating my Father-in-Law for his 70th, but unless I can get someone to cover my shifts at work they'll be going without me. :( :evil:
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.