Your First Time ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Your First Time ?

Post by Selby White »

Tell us about the first time ?

1. You saw Leeds Utd ?

2. You went on holiday without your parents ?

3. Your first driving conviction ?

4. You were ill because of alcohol ?

5. You saw a well known music act ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Your First Time ?

Post by Selby White »

1. You saw Leeds Utd ?
Back in the late 60's beat Chelsea 7-0, was hooked from that moment.

Believe it or not was in May 1975 to Paris, was a coach run from Selby and 4 of us young uns (16 & 17 year olds) went along. Great adventure just the one thing went wrong.

Over taking on double white lines, started to overtake a slow moving white van before the lines started but didn't get back in quick enough. Knew I was in trouble when I read the word "Police" on the side of the van. Was in my first ever car (Vauxall Viva) and had only been driving less than a year.

First Year apprentice got taken on a Pub crawl with the older lads who were a bit more alcohol experienced than me at the time. Was ok until we finished the night on shorts and went for a curry, was I bad.

Was on holiday with my parents when a young snapper and saw Lulu at some theatre can't remember where.
First proper concert was Slade at Queens Hall in Leeds, gang of us from school went, loved it.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

1. You saw Leeds Utd ?
Tolka Park Dublin, Mon 13th May 1991 v Shelbourne - Drove in a battered minibus for 3 hours, late getting to the ground, had to stand on each others shoulders to take turns looking over one of the gates. Still got to see WGS and the mad Vinny Jones though, brilliant.

Couldn't afford holidays until I was in my late 20's, but went to a music festival when I was 17 for a weekend of drinking, smoking and listening to music from outside the venues because we couldn't afford tickets.

Speeding, but that was by a speed camera and letter in the post. Only pulled over by police once, for using the mobile phone - fair enough, guilty as charged.

15 years old, perhaps 3 occasions, all blurred into 1 now.

Pixies, Point Depot Dublin, 1991, same year as Leeds :D
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Tell us about the first time ?

1. You saw Leeds Utd ?

At Craven Cottage 6th January 1968, Eddie Gray in his pomp propelled us to a 5-0 win

When I went off to university?

I'm thinking at age 20 when I went with with two mates and my GF to Paguera, Mallorca. Huge problems with air travel in the summer of 1974 (Laker airlines collapsed?) Poor GF got put on a separate flight to the rest of us on the way home and we flew through a massive thunderstorm over the Pyrenees

:oops: Age 18; we'd been to a concert at Finsbury Park Astoria I was showing off to my mates and overtook a car on the inside without realising there was a police car behind me. One year ban for driving without due care and attention (does that still exist?)

My lifelong mate Colin had a house party. I'd been seeing Gaynor for a couple of dates, so we got a bunch of her - very attractive - mates to come along, hot pants and all. I was violently sick after drinking a couple of ciders; oddly I remember the song that was playing at the time - John Mayall's 'Room to move'

Curved Air played our school concert in 1970 where I met the aforementioned Gaynor. Next would be Santana at Hammersmith Odeon May 1971; I still have the ticket stub - 50p entrance :lol:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

1. You saw Leeds Utd ?

At the ground? Then at Elland Road against Birmingham City in 1989, Vince Hilaire scored the winner in a 1-0 win

Weekend in Bournemouth/Portsmouth 1990 - Yes it was the last game of the 1989/1990 season, went down by coach with the Keighley branch, stayed overnight in Portsmouth after the game.

Never had one, i'm a good boy ;)

1990 went for a long weekend away to Mudgee (inland NSW), i was still taking car sickness tablets at that time (was the last time as well) and we drank for the whole day/night, the next 3 days i was unable to function bar drink water. Lesson - don't mix car sickness tablets and alcohol, really bad idea :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Level 42 in Birmingham around 1989
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

[quote="Selby White"]Tell us about the first time ?

1. It was a friendly in Belfast against Glentoran in 1971 Leeds lost 3-1

2. We didn’t do holidays when I was a kid. Not unless you count Scouts trips to Scotland (Cue violins) First time was 1983 to Ayia Napa on honeymoon. Back then there were only five hotels and one Main Street the beaches were empty.

3. 1980 doing 95 down the M2 on my motorbike whilst on R plates (restricted to 45mph)

4. 18 and in the army, mates got me drunk and I ended up locked up for signing at 3am in the parade square

5. The Eagles on their Hell Freezes Over tour
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

1. You saw Leeds Utd ?
On TV, sitting on my dad's knee in the centenary FA Cup Final against Arsenal.
In the flesh would be at The Dell, early 80s I guess.

1985 to the Costa Brava with a mate, my sister and her boyfriend. I was 18.
I nearly drowned following a mix-up with a buoy rope and my snorkel and it's true that your life flashes before your eyes ..

Funnily enough, on the way to ER. A mate was late in meeting me at Waterloo as it was his birthday the day before and he went on the lash in London. I was to pick him up from the station in his sports car - a Renault Megane coupé - but he was almost two hours late, meaning I had to floor it all the way to Yorkshire. We were playing Everton and due to meet some more friends in The Peacock and they had the tickets.
I got stopped by a police bike going round a bend on the final approach to Leeds on the M1. I know I was doing 125mph but he clocked me at 115mph, I think - it was about twenty years ago. Totally wrong, I know, but he was a Leeds fan and when I explained we'd driven up from the south coast for the match he was sympathetic and gave me a three point fixed penalty notice.
I should, obviously, have been banned ..

The first time I can remember was actually not alcohol, but smoking a cigar when I was about 9 years old. One of those slim panatella things ..

1979 or '80 Madness and the ticket price was the princely sum of £1.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

1. Saw Leeds United.
1952 Can't remember who we played, or the result!

2. Went on holiday without your parents.

When I came out of the army. Met up with two guys I served in Singapore with. One had a car and we went to Bridlington for a Bank Holiday week-end. Had a great time but, sadly, they are no longer with us.

3. First driving conviction.

In the 1970's on the A1. Like Rigger, late for a meeting. Doing 110, got pulled by an unmarked police car. He said 'will you settle for 92/94? I said 'yes please'. Got fined but no penalty points in those days. (Never had any penalty points on my license.)

4. You were ill because of alcohol.

Never.

5. You saw a well known music act.

Leeds Odeon 1958 - Oscar Peterson, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington.
I once played against Don Revie.
Scott
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Scott »

1. You saw Leeds Utd ?

Just a little bit later than most of you lads. My first time was in September 2011, just a couple of weeks after I moved to Leeds from Scotland. Having grown up a supporter of neither of the Old Firm, I always valued watching your local team, so it had to be Leeds when I moved here. First game was against Portsmouth, 1 - 0 with an early Danny Pugh header. Can't remember much of the game, apart from the sun shining into my face for the majority of the first half in the East stand and Snodgrass causing problems on the wing for the whole game. Must have caught the bug though because I was back the same midweek to watch us draw 1 - 1 with Coventry.

When I was about 16, went to Paris on a school trip.

None so far.

Day two of freshers week. Ended up throwing up in one of my new flatmate's pot in the kitchen. Photographic evidence was on the wall of the kitchen for the rest of the year as punishment.

Biffy Clyro, Edinburgh Corn Exchange in 2003.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Tell us about the first time ?

1. You saw Leeds Utd ?

Bradford City at Elland rd with a few school mates. The chant "the bradford end is always full" stuck out, aswell as the Bruno Bruno Bruno chant

Mabblethorpe with a few school mates camping. We struggled to get on the site we wanted because they didn't let all male groups on, anyway we managed to find a couple of girls to say they were with us, it was so obvious they wasn't but they let us on anyway. I'm so glad they did because i pulled a cracker that weekend and she was 7 years my senior.

Riding Motorbikes on old pit land and the Police used to give chase, most of the time i got away.

Pernod. I still hate the smell of the stuff today.

Oasis at Finsbury Park. We went by coach "it was harsh lesson" we had a great laugh with lots of booze and there was a great lineup at the gig.