You and your music

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

You and your music

Post by Selby White »

1. What music era did you grow up with ?

2. First live Music concert you attended ?

3. Last music concert you attended ?

4. First Album you bought ?

5. Last album you listened to ?

6. Do you play any instruments ?

7. What instrument would you like to learn ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: You and your music

Post by Selby White »

Here are my answers :-

Early 70's and it was Glam rock all the way, a time when music was fun and we knew how to dress.
Did once injure my ankle ligaments at a Leeds match, platform shoes not a great idea stood in the Kop.

First I remember was Slade at Queens Hall in Leeds, superb remember it like it was yesterday was 1972 or 1973 I believe.

Its a while since I saw a live music act (over a year) an not sure about timing or who it will have been, was possibly at Selby Town Hall or possibly a Jazz act when we were in Canada (went to a Jazz Club a couple of times when there).

1971 "20 Fantastic Hits", bought for me by my parents with my first record player. Still got it, the album not the record player.

"Call me John Primer" Chicago Blues artist.

Nope

Saxophone, love the sound of a good Sax player
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Born in 1967, so mid-70s onwards I would say I took an interest.
Growing up, we had jazz in the house - Ella and Louis - although no record collection to talk of really, just a few discs. I got given The Beatles' debut LP - a really scratched original mono copy that needed a couple of 2ps plasticined to the headshell for the turntable to play it without jumping all over the place. We also had a fair few singles : rat pack, Connie Francis and some Harry Secombe, all of which got played to death. My dad used to pick us up some cover version EPs from the local cash and carry too, so we had Popcorn and Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep performed by some session bands on 45rpm rather than the more usual LPs from the Top Of The Pops range.
Serious interest took hold of me at around 9 or 10 as one of my mates had an older brother into punk and my sister had some punk friends. Ska/2-Tone was the first era I felt part of something ..

.. because Madness was the first gig I went to. I think it was 1979 or possibly 80 and it cost £1 to get in. They did one show at 6pm for kids and another at 8.30 for adults.

I go to loads of local gigs across the city as I write a music column in a local paper. I can pretty much get in to anything for free on the back of that, which is fantastic. The last "proper" gig was Metronomy in November at the O2 Guildhall here in Southampton.

Kool & The Gang "Something Special" on cassette. I have always loved soul, funk and disco.

Deodato "2"

I have owned several harmonicas, a keyboard and still own a sax and an electric bass. I can't play any of them for more than about a minute. I was lead singer in a rock band for several years but I don't have the application to pick something up and study it, unfortunately.

It's all about the bass for me, so that would be the one ..
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Influenced by my parents and elder siblings. Dad was country music, Charlie Pride, Cash, Jim Reeves. Mum loved her classical music (but couldn't tell you a thing about) it so enjoy the more popular compositions. Sister introduced me to Simon and Garfunkel and the New Seekers etc. My brother had a few Eagles albums and they are my favorite group. From my time its Queen, ABBA and strangely for a 70's teenager big band/swing music.

Heart must have been around 86

UB40 this year

Donna Summer greatest Hits :crazy:

Ed Sheeran

The Harmonica - very badly (It's a very small one BB)

Guitar
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Born in '64. Earliest musical memory is probably Octopus' Garden by the Beatles on the radio when I was 4 or 5. Also their For You Blue is deeply ingrained for some reason. First proper interest was a couple of years later watching Top of the Pops and listening to my dad getting irate at the glam popsters. Apart from the Old Record Club and Family Favourites on a Sunday as an accompaniment to the preparation and devourment of the Roast there wasn't much music played at home so I had to discover it all for myself. In chronological order, starting in the 50s and working my way forward. "My era" though would have to be late 70s/early 80s as after that I started playing more and listening less.

The Kinks June 27th 1981, a seriously uncool band at the time as they were just coming in to their Come Dancing period. Bristol's Colston Hall was less than half full, I got up the front and touched the sainted Ray Davies' foot - no barriers back then. At least I think that was the first. I was 16 and allowed to travel to Bristol from our village at night. I saw loads of bands back then.

Gaz Brookfield and The Company of Thieves. Christmas gig that he does every year. He usually tours as a solo artist, and he's very good, but when he gets together with his band it's something special.

Hits of the Sixties (or something similar). First I was given was a Top of the Pops one from '73-ish, first I asked for was Buddy Hollies Greatest Hits and The Beatles '62-'66. Both on cassette.

Lost Folk. The above mentioned Gaz's latest. Bought at the gig.

I can pick out a tune on most instruments but I'm not proficient on any. I have 4 guitars, a semi-acoustic bass that doesn't work (neck's warped), 2 mandolins, a Yamaha CS-5 synth and a tambourine. Oh, and a couple of djembe-type drums and a couple of didgeridoos.

Guitar. I play the same things over and over again.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Earliest memories are listening to whatever records my eldest (by 9 years) brother bought, was the Glam Rock era from bands like Mud, Sweet, Mott the Hoople, that sort of thing.

Queen at the Birmingham NEC in 1984

Take That and Rick Astley at Huddersfield's John Smith's stadium a few months ago. Mrs BW wanted to go and was the longest 2 hours of my life

The Fine Art of Surfacing by The Boomtown Rats

The Blessed Unrest by Sara Bareilles. One of my all time favourite albums

No

Would like to play the guitar. Have an acoustic and electric guitars hung on the wall in the dining room, tried to learn but don't have the time or skill to achieve it
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:
The Kinks June 27th 1981, a seriously uncool band at the time as they were just coming in to their Come Dancing period. Bristol's Colston Hall was less than half full, I got up the front and touched the sainted Ray Davies' foot - no barriers back then. At least I think that was the first. I was 16 and allowed to travel to Bristol from our village at night. I saw loads of bands back then.
Saw Ray Davies about 10 or so years back while in America at the Taste of Chicago festival. He did a mix of Kinks stuff and his later solo stuff.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

BrighouseWhite wrote:
Think I have that very album (vinyl) from back in the day.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Selby White wrote:
BrighouseWhite wrote:
Think I have that very album (vinyl) from back in the day.
Me to :thumbup:
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

1: I grew up with sixties music in the house from my 2 older sisters and brothers.
2: Leo Sayer in Brighton around 1973
3: The National in Brighton.
4: Catch Bull at Four, Cat Stevens.
5: The Pixies, Beneath the Eyrie.
6: No.
7: The piano.