You and Sport

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

You and Sport

Post by Selby White »

1. If we had a Lufc Talk Football Team what position would you play ?

2. If you were talented enough to be a Pro and make a good living at any sport what would it be ?

3. You could go to watch any major sporting event in the World (other than football) all expenses paid what would it be ?

4. If you could attend any Club Football match all expenses paid which would you choose ?

5. What do you consider your best sporting achievement ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: You and Sport

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:1. If we had a Lufc Talk Football Team what position would you play ?

2. If you were talented enough to be a Pro and make a good living at any sport what would it be ?

3. You could go to watch any major sporting event in the World (other than football) all expenses paid what would it be ?

4. If you could attend any Club Football match all expenses paid which would you choose ?

1. Centre forward

2. Football

3. Open Golf

4. Everton v Liverpool at Goodison Park

5. Scoring both goals in the 2 - 1 West Riding County Cup win against Farsley Celtic (1961)
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Would have to be defensive midfield as love a good tackle and I'm not quick enough to play up front.
At school/junior level a long time ago I actually played in goal but didn't grow tall enough so switched to defensive midfield at senior level.
As I got older (40ish) I actually formed, managed (and played) the works team and organised weekly training sessions but we never entered a league. kept us active. What we did was play regular friendlies against local league sides (word got out and many contacted us when they didn't have a game). The advantage was we had our own pitch along with a social club for a pint afterwards, great times.

Snooker can keep playing until a good age

Masters Golf at Augusta :thumbup:

Boca Juniors v River Plate.
Have actually been to both stadiums but reckon getting to that match would be an amazing atmosphere

Played a few sports competitively (Golf, Pool, Badminton) but as many of you know played Table Tennis since I left school and have won plenty of things locally over the years (helps playing in a small local league ;) . Also represented Yorkshire a few times.
However I also did lots of coaching back in the day and coached a few players to National standard and worked at National training camps. I got qualified to a high level and once got selected to coach a England Junior team in a European Tournament against 17 other countries.
The tournament was held in Luxemburg and played over 4 days, we came 6th which at the time was good for England because our players were ranked lower than lots of our opponents.
So getting to coach at International Level I'm putting down as my top achievement.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote: 1. Centre forward
That's the Centre Forward and Defensive Midfielder sorted just need a few that can run around a bit :thumbup:
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Selby White wrote:1. If we had a Lufc Talk Football Team what position would you play ?

1. As a 10.
2. Football.
3. Space Jam.
4. Leeds United vs. Newell's Old Boys/Athletic Bilbao
5. Does Football Manager count?
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Holding midfield

Football - if not, then snooker

World Speedway final

Lille v Lens - local derby and I've not been to my French club Lille's new ground since they built it

5. What do you consider your best sporting achievement ?[/quote]
E-sports : Taking control of my mate's struggling Lincoln City side in CM3 for a cup tie away at Premier League Derby. It was at the SU at Pompey Uni in the "IT Suite" - this is the early days of the internet, remember - and there was an audience in the room because my friend was one of the sabbatical students (they run Student Unions) and he was a popular chap. The final result was 5-2 to Lincoln :D
He's now a policeman in Lincolnshire, with a patch of 250 square miles and we met up recently and it was the first thing we talked about :)
Real life : Having played 3-400 matches in Sunday league, when I worked for Tower Records we challenged HMV to a game. I'd played in defence or midfield most of the previous twenty-odd years and hadn't scored since I was about 15. We beat them 14-0 and I got two, then wrote a press release and sent it to the trade paper, Music Week. They published it the following week and the CEO of Tower called me up to congratulate us :D
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Always played centre midfield in the old 433 formation. Very much a box to box player. Unfortunately suffered a double leg break the weekend before I was due to sign a professional contract. Ironically, it was supposed to be my final match with my local club anyway, a farewell of sorts. Cup final, so I couldn't not play it :sick:

It was always football, but if I had to pick another, probably golf.

Think I'd pick something different from what I normally watch. Maybe the deciding game of an NBA Basketball final.

Barca v Real

See Q1, but oddly it was always the small things that I took personal pride in. E.g. I'm right footed, but scored most goals with my left. Was always Captain and designated penalty taker, regardless of age, club or county. Little things like that always satisfied me.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Never really found my position. I'd liked the idea of being a world class goal hanger (the name might give that away) but in organised games I was usually at left back.

Football for the money but I'd always wanted to be a cricketer.

Aus v Eng Boxing Day Test.

Any Leeds match in the Premier League next season. ;)

I played cricket to a decent standard when I was a lot younger: the county schools team and Somerset youth teams. I even got a mention in the Somerset 1982 Handbook for my 4-24 as a 15 year old playing for the Under 17s. I was a leg spinner back then. I can hardly bowl it straight enough to keep it on the cut strip now.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Left wing as it used to be

Formula 1 racing

The Ryder Cup

El Classico

Winning the Player of the Tournament in a Police 5-a-side Competition. I was playing against several famous players such as Billy Smith, Marty O'Hagan, Sammy Spiers and Brian Lowrey. I'm sure you've heard of them!!!!!!

PS I still have the trophy.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

1. Right winger

2. Golf. Unfortunately had to give it up due to varicose vein problems in my legs and ankle.

3. The Masters golf

4. El Classico

5. Playing cricket at school, I returned figures of 4 overs, 3 maidens, 4 wickets, 2 runs. I was on two hat tricks in my third over.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk