54. Chicago
55. San Francisco
56. Montreal
57. Irkutsk (Russia)
58. Ulan Bator (Mongolia)
59. Macao
60. Krakow

Another 3 for me among this 10.

54. Chicago - Well into double figures visiting the Windy City (which actually isn't windy in my experience) and love the place, fantastic parks, superb coast line (on a lake that looks like a say), picturesque skyline, interesting music and prohibition history, great skyscrapers, superb festivals virtually all summer world class museums and even the largest "Free" Zoo in the world for a tight Yorkshireman who likes anything for nowt.
If a place is good enough for the likes of Muddy Waters, Al Capone & Oprah Winfrey along with it been Frank Sinatras kind of town its good enough for me.
I've been in all four seasons and it certainly goes from one extreme to the other when it comes to tempreture.
My No1 City anywhere :thumbup:

55. San Francisco - Another great American city for tourists (not quite as flat as Chicago for walking around though), have been on 3 separate occasions twice at the start of a road trip but first time for week long city break in December a good few years back. Climate is mild so a good place for a winter trip, never snows in SF.
last visit was last year to start a tour along the road to Seattle but we went out there a couple of days before the rest of the tour group to see more of the city and stayed in the Tenderloin district close to the city centre. Its a fantastic area which some reviews say is dangerous but its not in my opinion. However sadly its full of homeless people who never bothered us at all but think that puts a lot of people off. I just find it sad that a country like America has so many homeless, seen it everywhere over there and the West coast cities are certainly the worst hit (suspect that is the mild climate).
Walking from the train station (train from airport) to the hotel it really did feel you were walking through peoples bed rooms, with sleeping bags and make shift beds everywhere.
Hotel was great and a fantastic restaurant over the road whose walls were decorated with thousands of Vinyl records.

56. Montreal - Just been the once loved it, was there a week before the F1 Grand Prix and accidently walked most of the circuit. Its held on a Island on the St Lawrence river which is normally a park, We visited to do a walk and they were putting all the stands up but to our surprise nobody stopped us walking around.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Have You been ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Here are 10 more -

Worst one so far for me ;)

55. San Francisco
Loved the city don’t know there’s just something magical about it whether eating on Pier 39 or watching the sea lions it’s got a fabulous vibe to it. We did the Bullit hill, visited Alcatraz, drove across the Golden Gate Bridge & ate in Chinatown. Really enjoyed the cable car system a great way of getting around. Highly recommended Titan Travel if you fancy a coach trip in the USA, met some fantastic people on trips.

56. Montreal
Spent a couple of days here as part of a coach trip did all the touristy things like a tour of the Olympic Stadium & a visit to the old port. One of the most surreal things was our coach doing a lap of the Grand Prix circuit.

Running total 25/60
Winner of the Europa League
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Munich
Yep, been there. Don't remember much about it other than walking through the beer garden.

Irkutsk and Ulan Bator are both on the Trans-Mongolian railway so I technically visited them. I remember nothing of Irkutsk so may not have even got off the train but we had an hour or so in Ulan Bator so I definitely did. I remember there were a few local blokes wearing big fur hats and the intensely coloured silk-looking coats. Its weird when you think of traditional dress you imagine it would have been replaced by something more modern, but these guys were just hanging around chatting or buying train tickets. They just happened to be wearing a stunning sky-blue or bright red ankle length coats.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:Munich
Yep, been there. Don't remember much about it other than walking through the beer garden.

Irkutsk and Ulan Bator are both on the Trans-Mongolian railway so I technically visited them. I remember nothing of Irkutsk so may not have even got off the train but we had an hour or so in Ulan Bator so I definitely did. I remember there were a few local blokes wearing big fur hats and the intensely coloured silk-looking coats. Its weird when you think of traditional dress you imagine it would have been replaced by something more modern, but these guys were just hanging around chatting or buying train tickets. They just happened to be wearing a stunning sky-blue or bright red ankle length coats.
Do love to see people in traditional clothes, adds to the experience of visiting these places.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Meeting famous people has happened on 3 occasions to me in Chicago.

1st - Met Buddy Guy in his own Blues Club but he wasn't performing (he apparently gets up occasionally and joins the act playing) as was more interested in sitting at the bar drinking beer and watching the baseball. Did say hello and shook hands with him, seemed just a nice ordinary Guy (pardon the pun :D )

2nd - Another trip went with mates (lads trip) and we called in a Pub on way back to our hotel late one night for a last night cap. One of our group was insistent that another group of blokes in the Pub were Australian Rock band Jet (he had seen them perform). We thought he was pulling our legs and we were drawing straws to see who asked.
Of course I won :roll: so went and asked and it was them and we got chatting.
Told us they were a bit worried that a group of blokes were starring at them for 20 minutes or so and we had a good laugh especially when they bought our drinks.
The were amazed and thrilled they had been recognised as weren't big in America.

3rd - Again walking back to our hotel same trip different night a giant approached us to ask for directions.
He started laughing because we didn't recognise him and said "Don't you play basketball in England"
Apparently was some American superstar we hadn't a clue, still don't.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

On one cruise on a small ship we did we befriended Martin Sixsmith & his wife. They were a lovely couple who had 6 grown up children.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Here’s an interesting question :D whilst moored up at Cape Horn we were virtually within touching distance of Chile plus we were in Chilean waters. So the $64,000 question is have I been to Chile ?
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

Have visited 18 of these cities so far - and have attended at least one match in 16, with Paris and Reykjavik the exceptions.

Have seen football (or icehockey) in London, Rome, Berlin, Moscow, Madrid, Prague, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Mexico City, Helsinki, Stockholm, Dublin, Barcelona, Zurich and Krakow.

Many matches, but lots of culture as well. And thousands of miles walked in cities, towns, villages and countysides. Most of them in Britain.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

The last time we flew to the UK from Kathmandu it took 41 hours in total. They redirected the flight so instead of a direct flight to Heathrow we were send via Delhi & Dubai. On the first two flights we were upgraded to business class, a small perk given the situation. By the time we landed in Dubai where we had a 6 hour wait to get a connecting flight we were absolutely shattered. We made our way to the Irish Bar there where I sat Sue down & went to the bar & ordered a bottle of Sauvignon which to my shock was £55. Eventually we boarded our last flight with Emirates, the previous 2 flights had been with Jet Airways, where I asked the stewardess if we could upgrade & explained all we wanted to do was sleep. I’ll go & check with the captain upon returning she looked embarrassed & said the upgrades would be nearly £4500 which we obviously declined. In all fairness to her she cleared 2 rows of seats so we were able to stretch out. Half an hour before landing the same stewardess came up & said the captain has sent me & he’s invited you into 1st class for the landing. I’m sure you can guess my response :twisted: she said sorry & she would pass on my comments to the captain, she smiled at me winked & said sorry. This was before you could make claims from airlines based outside of Europe. Almost put us off travelling as we felt like Tom Hanks character in Airport as no one wanted responsibility for us.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Here’s an interesting question :D whilst moored up at Cape Horn we were virtually within touching distance of Chile plus we were in Chilean waters. So the $64,000 question is have I been to Chile ?
Got the same issue with US States as slowly been ticking them off (its around 30ish now). The only time I've been in Florida is a couple of hours at Miami airport on the way back from New Orleans. Should it be counted ?