Have You been ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Have You been ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote: 16. Edinburgh
To be honest it’s years since I visited if we visit Scotland I much prefer to go the Highlands, one of my favourite places anywhere.
We tend to do Edinburgh as a stopover on the way further north, another worth a stop is Stirling.
Have you been over or seen the new Forth road bridge its a beautiful piece of engineering ?
I’ve island hopped a fair bit as well. I worked on Rum for 7 months so took in Eigg, Muck, Lewis,Canna, North Uist, South Uist & Benbecula. Have also been on Shetland, North Ronaldsay & Skye. ( the Cullin is something to see, magnificent) Fantastic area why 25 years ago this month I married Sue at Morar. :D
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote: 16. Edinburgh
To be honest it’s years since I visited if we visit Scotland I much prefer to go the Highlands, one of my favourite places anywhere.
We tend to do Edinburgh as a stopover on the way further north, another worth a stop is Stirling.
Have you been over or seen the new Forth road bridge its a beautiful piece of engineering ?
I’ve island hopped a fair bit as well. I worked on Rum for 7 months so took in Eigg, Muck, Lewis,Canna, North Uist, South Uist & Benbecula. Have also been on Shetland, North Ronaldsay & Skye. ( the Cullin is something to see, magnificent) Fantastic area why 25 years ago this month I married Sue at Morar. :D
Would love to do the islands, only one so far was Arran which we had a few days on and loved it.
The bloke who run the B & B we stayed at recommended a Pub for food and drink so we gave it a go. Each week they had a guest beer and to my surprise while we were there it was Old Mill Bitter from Snaith (about 7 from where we live).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Just remembered did Mull & Iona a few years back on a coach trip. Would love to go back to Mull as it was stunning. What’s not to like about a place called Tobermory :D
So 11 Scottish islands so far. We have such a beautiful country we really do.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Of the 2nd ten i mentioned the 3 (Madrid, Edinburgh & Shanghai) I have been to of the others I've not here are my thoughts/plans :-

11. Hong Kong - When we toured China we had the option of a Hong Kong extension but declined as we thought it wasn't long enough to do the place justice and were planning to do it independently. but the troubles along with the curfews its still on ice.

12. Tokyo - Although tops a lot of peoples list not mine.

14. Athens - Aim to eventually visit all European capital cities so one for the future, have done a couple of Greek Islands in the past so the country is ticked off.

15. Prague - Same answer to Athens, done Czech Republic (Cesky Krumlov) but not yet Prague

17. Seoul - see Tokyo

18. Sydney - Maybe or maybe not in the future, still got to do Oceania for my ambition of visiting all continents but torn whether it will be Aus or NZ.

20. St Petersburg - Got to go at some stage never heard anyone thats been say a bad word.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:
18. Sydney - Maybe or maybe not in the future, still got to do Oceania for my ambition of visiting all continents but torn whether it will be Aus or NZ.

For Antarctica as a continent we went with Celebrity Cruises. Flew to Buenos Aries a couple of days later board the ship. First port of call was Puerto Madryn in the province of Chubut, not a lot to do there if I’m honest we didn’t do an excursion. From there we travelled down to Ushuaia which I’ve talked about on another thread. Then down to Cape Horn which was unbelievably calm, having feared the worst. It was a lifetime ambition for me. The next part of the journey was once in a lifetime experience as we cruised down to Elephant Bay. Upon docking in the bay dozens of whales were breaching & Wandering Albatrosses flying across the ship. The highlight was seeing icebergs & the fantastic white scenery. We spent a couple of days cruising around the area before heading to Port Stanley where I managed to blag a couple of places on the first tender. We jumped in a taxi & travelled a few miles to an establishment penguin colony, had to be done. Spent an hour here before walking the coast back to Stanley. By the time we got back the town was full of people off the ship. Went into shop & bought 3 pairs of penguin socks for the girls. At sea for a couple of days before arriving in Montevideo where we had 2 large steaks washed down with a bottle of excellent vino.
I enjoyed typing that :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:

For Antarctica as a continent we went with Celebrity Cruises. Flew to Buenos Aries a couple of days later board the ship. First port of call was Puerto Madryn in the province of Chubut, not a lot to do there if I’m honest we didn’t do an excursion. From there we travelled down to Ushuaia which I’ve talked about on another thread. Then down to Cape Horn which was unbelievably calm, having feared the worst. It was a lifetime ambition for me. The next part of the journey was once in a lifetime experience as we cruised down to Elephant Bay. Upon docking in the bay dozens of whales were breaching & Wandering Albatrosses flying across the ship. The highlight was seeing icebergs & the fantastic white scenery. We spent a couple of days cruising around the area before heading to Port Stanley where I managed to blag a couple of places on the first tender. We jumped in a taxi & travelled a few miles to an establishment penguin colony, had to be done. Spent an hour here before walking the coast back to Stanley. By the time we got back the town was full of people off the ship. Went into shop & bought 3 pairs of penguin socks for the girls. At sea for a couple of days before arriving in Montevideo where we had 2 large steaks washed down with a bottle of excellent vino.
I enjoyed typing that :D
In Montevideo was the steaks at one of the many food restaurants in the old market hall just a couple of streets inland from the cruise terminal ?

If yes you were about 50yds from the hotel we stayed in :wave:

We had 8 nights in Montevideo, loved it apart from one day it rained really heavy. We met a few people on a cruise ship doing similar route to you sheltering in a cafe, felt sorry for them as it was just too wet to see the city and it was only day they had there.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Yes definitely near the cruise ship terminal. We deliberately didn’t have a lot of steak on the cruise as we had planned on doing what we did. I’ve had steaks in the USA, South Africa & Argentina but that was the best I’ve had.

City wise currently on 9/20 not too shabby.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Yes definitely near the cruise ship terminal. We deliberately didn’t have a lot of steak on the cruise as we had planned on doing what we did. I’ve had steaks in the USA, South Africa & Argentina but that was the best I’ve had.

City wise currently on 9/20 not too shabby.
One up on me 8/20, just looked at next 10 and only 2 for me, will publish later but off out now.

Some fantastic food in Montevideo along with excellent wine (which rarely see over here :( )
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Next ten and as I said earlier only two on this list I've visited -

21. Amsterdam - A yes from me but to be honest can't remember too much apart from lots of beer and a couple of football matches, went over to see Leeds in a Pre-season tournament back in the 70's. Only about 18 at the time and other countries cultures were judged by the quality of the beer. Must go back to meet the real city.

22. New Orleans - Another yes but only just, my first intended trip there was cancelled when the city was evacuated and flights in cancelled in panic as were expecting hurricane Gustav (couple of years after Katrina) to hit. Was already in the States and ended up spending the week in San antonio which I loved but that is another story for another day. For the record Gustav missed but hit land further along the coast.
Anyway did eventually get a few days in the Big Easy as did a road trip which ended there a few years later.
Cracking city and some great spots around the French quarter, did a Jazz dinner cruise on a paddle steamer and went to play with the Alligators in the Louisiana swamps on one of them boats driven by a big desk fan.
Was a big warehouse near our hotel you could visit where they stored and prepared the floats for the Mardi Gras which looked amazing, now there is something I would like to go back for.

23. Vancouver - Been to some of the cities in the east and over the border from it (Seattle) but on the to do list.

24. Auckland - As I said previously we are toying between New Zealand and Australia

25. Bangkok - In the planning stage, hope to do a trip from Bangkok to Singapore through Malaysia, watch this space.

26. Damascus - Never considered Syria but apparently back in the day was a great place.

27. Jerusalem - Don't fancy it

28. Cape Town - Yes please its one i really want to visit.

29. Cairo - Never fancied it.

30. Marrakech - Don't know anything about it other than know its in Morocco I believe.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Just the also for me as well.

Amsterdam

Went here for the day. Did most of the touristy things like a trip on the canal & was going to go to Anne Franks house but the queues were snaking down the road. Went window shopping in the red light district where I wouldn’t have spent a lot of cash if I’m honest. Found a nice little bar where I wanted a lager but was amazed when it was all head, soon sorted that out.

Cape Town

Our first ever long haul holiday we were based near Simonstown in the Western Cape which is a very popular as a tourist destination lots of great restaurants & bars. When we were there it was when meat on the bone was banned here so t bone steaks were always going to be on our plates. We had a couple of days at Stellenbosch which is where the counties majority of wine is produced, paradise :D did whale watching seeing southern right whales at Hermanus which was amazing. When we were there the exchange rate gave us 15 rand to the £, lived exceptionally well.

Running total 11/30