Have you been "2" ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Have you been "2" ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Mr Russell please confirm. Mind having watched Wanted Down Under they do a price comparison & they’re always shocked at the difference.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Three more for me -

St Louis - actually been 3 times once for a city break and twice on road trips. Is worth a visit and the Gateway arch is impressive, another high structure I've ticked off my list.

Bath - Visited on a day trip when staying in Bristol, visited the Roman Baths & the crescent.

Funchal - Lovely island is Madeira have been for a week, last time was when Portugal won the Europeans and that was some party.
Not for beach lovers though, lot of rock and not much sand. Basically a mountain range in the middle of the sea.
Happy memories as last time there we won a weeks holiday with a hotel chain (Pestana) and had the option of going back to Madeira or one of their hotels on the Algarve, we opted for a 5 star break on the Algarve. Best part we weren't even staying at one of their hotels just walking past and pulled out the lucky ticket. :D

Cagliari - Not been but have been to Sardinia which we loved but was in the North. Would love to try the south if we go again so every chance we will get there.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote: Funchal - Lovely island is Madeira have been for a week, last time was when Portugal won the Europeans and that was some party.
Not for beach lovers though, lot of rock and not much sand. Basically a mountain range in the middle of the sea.
Happy memories as last time there we won a weeks holiday with a hotel chain (Pestana) and had the option of going back to Madeira or one of their hotels on the Algarve, we opted for a 5 star break on the Algarve. Best part we weren't even staying at one of their hotels just walking past and pulled out the lucky ticket. :D
Funchal, wan't to visit and accomodation prices are great, just no direct flights from here. Always an issue when planning hols. :(
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Mr Russell please confirm. Mind having watched Wanted Down Under they do a price comparison & they’re always shocked at the difference.
Yes parts of Australia especially the Cities or the tourist area are expensive, if thats what you are asking.

For beer drinkers (as i am) i can get a pint (yes we do have pints in some places especially the Cities) in my home town for 6-8 dollars but if i was in Sydney or Melbourne say i would be paying up to 14-17 dollars which is way too pricy! Food is the same, Woolworths and Coles are more expensive but others like Aldi or IGA are much cheaper.

As there have been some Aussie Cities on the second 100 i can comment.

I love Melbourne, great vibe and the restaurants are super especially the hidden ones in the back streets. Usually head ther for sporting events, catch up with friends and just to sit back and watch the how a busy city moves around, although won't be for a while till i'm back with them having a COVID outbreak in a bad way.

Brisbane is another great city although it feels like its back in 1984, love visiting the Southbank area and in the main city are some top places to eat, one time we spent 10 days there and eat at all the hatted restaurants we could, pricy but so good. The Pig & Whistle is a huge pub which is where all the Leeds fans meet up and worth a visit.

Not seen Perth or Cairns or Hobart but they are on the list to do especially Hobart (well Tasmania itself really). Cairns like the Gold Coast is pricy and i'm not surprsied by that. Perth here in the east coast we call little Britain which should give you a clue about the place.

To be honest i prefer the regional areas which have more history and culture to them than the big cities.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Next 10 -

72. Ottawa
Spent a night here, nice city did the usual things like a trip to a Parliament Hill, a walk along the Rideau Canal & a walk in the Jacques Cartier Park.

73. Philadelphia
Another single night went to see that bell, yawn.

75. Brighton
I like Brighton as a resort ( prefer Scarbados or Whitby ) spent a dirty weekend here back in the 80’s. The city is home to my favourite copper Roy Grace so I feel I know the place like the back of my hand :D Did enjoy seeing the Royal Pavilion.

Running total 29/80
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Next 10 -

73. Philadelphia
Another single night went to see that bell, yawn.
Must agree about Philly my least fav American City, spent a few days there as part of a double city break and much preffered Atlanta.
Area around the Liberty Bell is nice but stray a couple of streets away and expect streets lined with garbage.
And of course the other main attraction is the Rocky statue, yes it exists :thumbup:
At least I've had a Philly cheesesteak in Philly :D

Brighton - saw Leeds play at the Goldstone Ground on my only visit.
Cant remember the match but do rember the 30a-side + match in a car park on the front among Leeds fans while waiting for the pubs to open. Still got the bruises :shock:

Kotor - Did on day trip when staying in Dubrovnik, nice place and fancy going to Montenegro.

Nicosia - Again a day trip to the only segregated capital when on holiday in Paphos. Didn't take my passport so Greek side only.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Yes agree the area around the bell is nice. We found a cracking bar where a few of us snook off to next to the bell building. Other than that don’t remember a great deal about the place, as I say we were only there the one night.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:
Next 10 -
71. Canberra
72. Ottawa
73. Philadelphia

Been a couple of times, once to attend a conference and once to stay with my bestie from Uni and his family. Although I did see the famous bell can't say I remember a whole lot about either visit :roll:

74. Kotor (Montenegro)
75. Brighton

Quite a few times, one of Mrs MW's favourite places to visit. It strikes me as an outpost of London, based on how people talk and act, can't really explain it more than that. There's a lot to see and do with plenty of indie shops/restos which is good.

76. Graz

Watched a video on youtube about Graz recently - my interest was peaked by its large population, 250K I think. It looked absolutely beautiful.

77. Nicosia
78. Tirana

During the time I was single (Early 00's) I had a meeting in Naples on Friday and I had to be in Athens on Monday so I pursauded my boss it was more economical to stay in that part of the world rather than fly home - it was summer so was hoping to enjoy some nice weather.

Flew from Naples to Milan (was sat next to a pleasant young lady with whom I'm still in touch with to this day) and then on to Tirana. We landed in what could best be described as an airfield and there was a massive scramble when the bags appreared in the tiny reclaim area, with people almost coming to blows. It was about a 40 minute drive to the city and I saw the famous bunkers ready for when the Imperial fascists - or was it the Soviet revisionists? - invaded. The recently-built hotel was part of an Austrian chain, so modern and comfortable. The food during the trip combined both Italian and Turkish influences, but nothing remarkable and plenty of aubergines.

First problem: somebody had taken my suitcase at the airport and I'd picked up an identical one that wasn't mine. All ended well though as I was reunited with it later the next day and Alitalia tracked down the girl whose suitcase I had. But Saturday morning it was throwing it down and I was pretty bored. It stopped in the afternoon so I walked to the famous Skanderbeg Square and took a few photos, including the Et'hem Bay Mosque. Mooched around a few shops looking at clothes in case I needed them. My strong recollection is that I felt like I was invisible to the locals - I was expecting sleeve tugging and 'hey mister you come looky-looky' but nothing of the sort. Maybe the mistrust of foreigners engendered in the isolation years was very deeply rooted.

Sunday had a nice bit of R'n'R by the hotel pool.

Went back to the airfield on Monday morning where I had to collect my ticket for Athens. Second problem: the airline didn't accept credit cards. From nowhere a guy appeared with an enormous wad of Albanian Leks, the outcome being that I exchanged all my cash - US$, Canadian $, Swiss francs, Italian Lira, sterling - to pay for my ticket. I was $20 short but I gave him my business card and convinced him I'd make good the shortfall. He called me when I'd got back to the UK and I was able to get the hotel where I'd stayed to take the money from my credit card and he went to collect it.

Greece was a lot less eventful.....

79. Cancun (Mexico)
80. Siem Reap (Cambodia)
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Hope all you guys got your vaccinations, eg. typhoid, malaria, yellow fever, before going to Philadelphia. :) :)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Saxon wrote:Hope all you guys got your vaccinations, eg. typhoid, malaria, yellow fever, before going to Philadelphia. :) :)
:lol: