Who wants to be interviewed then?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
BigLeedsFan72
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Who wants to be interviewed then?

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. It makes a good read :thumbup:

1. Why Leeds United?
I was born in Leeds so felt drawn to the club, despite my family of 'Palace supporters' (only one genuinely interested in football). My paternal grandfather was also born in West Yorkshire.
2. What is your favourite funny thing seen online and can you please add a link to your answer?
Memes about football or things, perhaps of a sexual nature. Football videos that epitomise player antics and whatnot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr-UQRYnb24). On the subject of football I also found watching 'football's hard men' on youtube in Enrichment last year hilarious due to the tackles and fights they engaged in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5XlldAOzdg). On the bawdy side of humour, I saw this joke yesterday which made one laugh more than it should've, for about an hour - it's a 'pick up' line: "Did you press F5? Because your a*s is refreshing."
3. Your boss has corporate box seats at Old Trafford and insists you attend all manU home games as it's where he does all his client entertaining. Do You?

(a )Go and be the true professional you are

(b) Go and cheer every time MuaU concede a goal and do cartwheels when they lose
I'd celebrate when they concede and laugh when they lose but probably wouldn't do cartwheels - one's not that athletic or outlandish.
(c) Tell the boss to stick his job where the sun don't shine...

4. Who is the most famous person you have met and how was the experience for you?
Some hockey player when I was in year 4, came to my school to give us a taster of hockey - wasn't particularly starstruck as, after all, he's a hockey player. A guy in my class currently who was in the pilot of the Dirk Gently series that was on BBC4 a few years ago. And also at my primary school, one of the guys in my class is now in the Arsenal U18s.
5. The transfer window is nearly upon us. If you could pick two players we could bring to the club who would they be and why?Messi and Ronaldo- joking. Michail Antonio - because of the raw pace and power he possesses, although he'd be expensive and Poleon could become something similar. Otherwise, maybe Benik Afobe - young, quick and good in the air, was once wanted by Barcelona but things haven't really worked out for him.
6. How do you rate Englands chances of getting through the group stage of the World cup and who do you really fancy to win it?
I think we'll get through the group stages and get through to the quarter finals as we'll face one of Colombia, Japan, Greece and Ivory Coast - all beatable. But after that I can't see us getting much further. I think Germany'll win.
7. You are on a plane and it is going down in flames and there is only one parachute left between you and a female ManU supporter who had the audacity to be rerading Red Noses Autobiography. Do you?

(a) Do the chivalrous thing and give her the chute

(b) Try wo work out a way for both of you to use the one chute
If she's fit ;)
(c) Know in your heart of hearts that the only good ManU supporter is a dead one

8. Who is your all time favourite:
Footballer - Tomas Rosicky
Movie Star - Sean Bean
Singer/Band - Charlie Simpson/Fightstar

9. Great to see ManU slipping down the ladder. Have you heard any good jokes about their demise?
Great Man Utd joke? How about 'Man Utd' :D
Not necessarily about their demise, but when Palace came to Old Trafford, Palace fans told Man Utd fans 'race you back to London.'
From an Arsenal perspective, but isn't it typical of some midtable team to beat the league leaders and cause a blip?
10. Beer, Wine, Spirits or Teatotal?
Apple juice.
"Be like water my friend" Bruce Lee
BigLeedsFan72

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

OK who is next on the hit list??? I'm standing on the grassy knoll waiting...
BigLeedsFan72

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

Come on Guys don't be shy...I really don't want to interview myself. So I'll just wait here for a response Image
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

I'll go for it if you are that desperate!
BigLeedsFan72

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

dlw10 wrote:I'll go for it if you are that desperate!
No worries. I will pm you in a day or two. Good luck :lolno:
BigLeedsFan72

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

BigLeedsFan72 wrote:
dlw10 wrote:I'll go for it if you are that desperate!
No worries. I will pm you in a day or two. Good luck :lolno:
I have them for you Dave. Will send them later today Australia time...
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

OK.....I'm trembling already!
BigLeedsFan72

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

dlw10 wrote:OK.....I'm trembling already!
They aren't too bad mate have fun with them :thumbup:
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Any of the new guys fancy this?
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

Right, thanks for setting such thought provoking questions...I have probably missed some very important LUFC developments whilst doing this! It was not easy but here goes.

1. Why Leeds

Long story really, but as concise as I can be: I was born and lived in Great Malvern , Worcestershire, in the shadow of the Malvern Hills. I had two older sisters, one who is 17 years older than me (honest) and one who is ten years older than me. I was interested in football from a very early age mainly as my Dad was a local amateur footballer – he was still playing when I was born even though he was already 44 by then! In my early years (under ten) I supported the biggest local side which was Worcester City and of course I still do today whenever their games don’t clash with Leeds’. But when I was five, my elder sister married a Yorkshireman and they went up to Harrogate and then Wetherby where they lived for many years. When I was old enough, I would go up there and eventually got to see Leeds at Elland Road although my first Leeds game in the flesh was in 1969 at the Hawthorns (drew 1 – 1 with an Eddie Gray equaliser). Leeds were a big side then of course and there were several other lads at school who supported them as well as the usual crowds of Man U, and Liverpool fans and due to our location in the Midlands, many Villa, Birmingham and Wolves’ fans too. Somehow in the process I became a Leeds fan…and as you all know, once a Leeds fan, always a Leeds fan.

2. What would be a perfect result for the club at the end of the takeover debacle?

The perfect result would be if yet another White Knight would come steaming in; someone with mega millions to spend on us, a Leeds fan all their lives and currently living in Yorkshire. It goes without saying I’d ideally want a decent, honest, charismatic business person, well respected already….someone like Ken Bates maybe (for ONS that one)!
But we know that’s about as likely as Hell freezing over. Of the two options we currently have – assuming GFH are not already committed to Cellino alone – I find it hard to decide who I’d prefer. Cellino is clearly a very loose cannon and the way he charged into Elland Road at the weekend and began hiring and firing even before he owned us is very worrying. His background also suggests that he is not above bending the rules whenever it suits too. He is typical of most of the super-rich…you just don’t get there without being involved in shady deals and once they have the wealth they believe they are bullet proof with their ability to buy their way out of any problems with fancy lawyers and tax accountants. SO , would I want him running us? As Brian would say, “Probably not”….except that he has boat loads of cash and there is every reason to believe his desire is more fame not necessarily more fortune. We have never had that before.
The other party also comes with questions – mainly what money do they have and how much can they afford to plough in to Leeds. We know a couple of them profess to be Leeds fans which is a positive, but in general what is their motivation for involvement? With so many of them likely to be in the consortium – let’s call it SCTL- none of them individually is likely to make a killing even if we do make it back to the Prem – and I see that as a positive. The negative is how on earth will they all agree on anything?
At the end of the day though, apart from it getting dark, I am a mere fan. Someone will take over the club and the best we can hope for is that they are sensible and they help us get where we want to be…out of this Godforsaken Championship. We have no say in it but should give whoever it is a chance to show they are sensible and that they do the right things, whatever they are. Protesting against the owner should only come from the fans when it is clear that they are doing things they have no right to do – as was the case at the weekend, not just because we don’t like what they are doing with their own money.

3. If you were stranded on a desert island, what two things and one person would you like to have with you?

Taking the person first, it would be easy to say someone famous, one of the many famous folk I admire like say, Jackie Stewart or Murray Walker (only picked them because my mind is on motor racing hoping that Michael Schumacher pulls through) or from football I might go for someone like Paul Reaney! He always seems to be bright and cheerful and always has a joke or two! BUT in reality you know, if I am on a desert island and likely to be there for ever, I would honestly want my good lady there!...and before you blokes jump to the conclusion….no, not just to do the washing, cooking and ironing! We have been together for some thirty seven years now and I can’t imagine, don’t even want to imagine, life without her!
As to the possessions or things; If I could have a plentiful supply of music I could get by so a radio or an iPod (obviously I’d need to be able to recharge it too so electric and a charger would be handy!) I like almost all forms of music from folk to classical, jazz-rock to pop, you name it.
I’d quite like a lap top too please, if that was possible!!!!If I had that (and assuming I could have access to the cloud or an ever expanding hard drive…oh, and another charger of course) I could continue to write and to research on the web…I would promise not to Google “How to escape from a desert island”.

4. What are your thoughts on FIFA moving the 2022 World Cup to the winter months? Do you think they are as corrupt as the Mafia?

Oh don’t get me started! The people running football are all either lunatics, fools, or power mad and corrupt. No one will convince me that at the top level of FIFA, UEFA, the FA, the Scottish FA, and every other FA, the people there are running their associations more in their own interests than those of the game – everything is geared to maintaining their own status quo. We have all read about the corruption in the game in various memoirs but for whatever reason these people are never brought to book – I often wonder if that is why the periodic match fixing charges seem to fade away without conclusion...is it all too close for comfort for those running the game? No one wants a World Cup tournament in our winter, it is absurd. If the heat issue had not been considered when the bid was made and accepted then all those responsible should be sacked. To now try to make the whole thing still work by messing every FA’s season up is bonkers….but it will probably happen. I confess I don’t know much about the operations of the Mafia….yet….Ma, Io sto facendo la mia ricerca come parlo!

5. What interests or hobbies do you have outside of football?

These days, now that I’m retired, my main interest is my writing…but since I only write about Leeds United that isn’t really outside football is it? I could say photography…but as many on the forum will be aware…most of my photography is of Leeds United away days !!! So that is football too. Ask my family, and they will say I don’t have any hobbies outside of football! I am a bit of a beer connoisseur and fully paid up member of CAMRA (Campaign for real ale) so I suppose that counts, and I have been at various times a big Formula One fan. I have over the years been to many of the overseas Grand Prix including Monaco, Monza, Indianapolis and Hockenheim, and I did go to the British Grand Prix for many years right back from the 70s to recent years but have not managed the last couple of races. I also loved going to club race meetings when the kids were younger at Oulton Park, Donington, Silverstone, Brands, Thruxton, etc. etc. But they have moved onto different things these days. I am aiming to do at least one race this year. I play a bit of golf but could never get any good at it and when my elder son started to thrash me every time we went out, my interest declined! I love travelling too, and there are still many places I want to visit…..But really, most of my life revolves around the Leeds United fixtures.

6. What is the single most enjoyable Leeds game you have had the privilege to watch?

Impossible question! Like all things, the memory fades and we constantly find ourselves saying “that is the best” or “that was the worst” such and such “I’ve ever witnessed”. I am sure my very first game at the Hawthorns all those years ago was one of the most “enjoyable” simply because it was the first. I can still remember the whole trip vividly even down to the blue and white rosette with the little kicking figure in silver in the middle; the big Leeds United glossy poster my dad bought me and that I somehow carried rolled up under my arm throughout the game. We were in with the Baggies fans too as it was an Albion fan, a mate of my Dad’s, who took us. I also will never forget the series of games at the end of the 89/90 season when we won the title and promotion, there were some magic games at Elland Road then with Gordon Strachan strutting his stuff and Vinnie Jones. There are all sorts of “enjoyable” too aren’t there? The Bristol Rovers game is one I often talk about because my son Mark was there with me for that one and we can share that memory whenever it crops up. Too many to isolate one…and in fact I haven’t seen the most enjoyable yet…I hope!

7. You win the National Lottery of 100 million quid and donate 5 million to Leeds for squad building. Who would you like BM to buy (2 players max) and why?

Point of order Mr Chairman! I believe that would have to be the Euro Millions for that amount! Are you sure everyone else had questions this hard? Keeping it to the realms of at least a possibility I will refrain from saying Ronaldo or Messi. I know exactly what we need, but I struggle to come up with a name that fulfils the requirement. We need another Gordon Strachan, or a Billy Bremner, or a Bobby Collins. Even a Gary McAllister would do the job. We need someone who can dictate the play for us, know instinctively when we should be tight, when we should be expansive, someone who can “see” the game as it unfolds, spot gaps into which a pass can be threaded, a player who the rest of the team regard as the obvious captain, a leader on and off the field; a cocky b****rd to boot. But who is there at the moment that looks even remotely like that and who would consider playing for a Championship side with an outside chance of getting back to the Premiership? Every side we play, I look through their line up and try to see this mythical beast…but, you know what, no one has him…yet! If I had to go out and buy a midfield player for Leeds today, I would try to get Craig Bryson from Derby but even he doesn’t really match my requirements. So I haven’t really answered that one very well!

8. The names Beckford and Gradel always get banded around every transfer window, excluding these two players is there an ex Leeds player still plying his trade that you would happily see back in the squad?

The one I’d like back is Rob Snodgrass. Funnily enough, in the weeks and months leading up to his sale, I thought he was really underperforming and he only showed glimpses of what he is capable of; for that reason I wasn’t bothered when he was sold. I remember at the time I often referred to him saying we were effectively playing with ten men until he would suddenly do something good. But Norwich appears to have really got the best out of him and whenever I have seen him in the yellow and green he has been excellent. It may be too late now, in that we may just have got two wide men worthy of their places in Kebe and Stewart. I lambasted both in their first couple of games, but ever so slowly they are proving McDermott was right to place his faith in them. Stewart looks more confident with each game, is clearly very quick which worries defenders who will often panic and foul him, and I think he now just needs to blast in one of his trade mark “worldies” and he would really settle to his task. Kebe was magnificent in the second half on Saturday….having been very poor in the previous three and a half games. But Snoddy has lots going for him and he doesn’t seem anywhere near as slow these days as he often was with us.

9. Chelsea parking the bus has thrown the Premier league wide open, who do you think has the nerve and squad to cross the finish line first come May?

I think Man City will still win the title…and I think by a bigger margin than we might expect. The way they have scored goals for fun all season tells me they will continue to do that and in doing so will win more points than their rivals. Arsenal and Chelsea are both top sides with astute managers but they don’t seem to quite have the panache of City. I also think Liverpool can be very close by the end of the season if Sturridge and Suarez stay fit as I think Suarez is capable of winning most games on his tod! But it’s City for me.

10. Beer, wine, spirits or tea total?

Well, it’s not “tea total” and definitely not Teetotal either! I never make myself a cup of tea and would never choose it. My wife drinks tea for England though and now and again I’ll have a cup with her. If I have a hot drink at home it would always be coffee or drinking choc. (I confess I have discovered that my morning coffee is even more perfect with just a capful of brandy in it….!
But, “beer, wine, or spirits?”….”yes please”, “which?” “Any mate!”
I have already declared my love of ale and would always seek out the real ale if drinking in a decent pub. That is with the sole exception of at the football. Usually, at football, the beer is lousy if available and so I would tend to drink lager as a) it tends not to have much effect on me at all (Pecky be quiet if you are reading this) and b) it is easier to drink in volume I find.
Wine – I will always drink red unless I’m out with the wife and we don’t have time for more than one bottle; she only drinks white or rose. I am happy with any red apart from Shiraz which for some reason I have gone right off, most seem a bit spicy to me these days.
Spirits? Always whisky. I am gradually building a “library” of malts at home – in fact that is another hobby now which I should have mentioned earlier. I currently have 12 different malts on the go and am trying to add to that before any run out, just to keep the momentum going!!!!My favourite at the moment is a 12 year old Glenkinchie which I bought during a visit to the distillery last year somewhere north of Edinburgh.

That was bloomin’ tough folks…..has anything gone on with the takeover today?