£331,426

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: £331,426

Post by johnh »

davidbattyspants wrote:
phil62 wrote:Sorry, but that is flipping ridiculous. Would any of us get that for constructive dismissal? Real world required.
Depends on your contract.
Anyone connected with 'football' at a football club will be on fantasy wages. Those connected to 'real world' jobs at a football club, Cleaners, Bar Staff etc., will most likely be on minimum wage (if they're lucky).
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Another Northern Soul wrote: Fantastic effort BB - so good in fact that really you should think about changing your avatar from a tax avoiding superstar :P My last two 'proper' jobs were part time with a couple of charitable orgs, I was in accounts/admin. There were always Volunteer roles available too within a hub of community concerns we over-saw but I remember it was quite hard to actually get the 'job' as a Volunteer.

If I'm being too nosy, ignore this question mate - what has made you decide to retire at 45 then?
Cheers ANS, apparently my avatar is down to pure looks (not that Mrs BB would concur :D).

I am looking at volunteering roles within the two charities mentioned, purely on the basis of I love dogs (particularly how their minds work etc) and I want to help someone/people with disabilities. I have also looked at Dogs for Autism and loads of other charities involving dogs but the various roles within Guide Dogs and Hearing Dogs are very interesting if you like that sort of thing (appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea). You are right though, the process has been very long, arduous at times, but I have persevered as it is what I want to do, and I think I did ok at the Hearing Dogs interview and hopefully the Guide Dogs one will go ok. I cannot do anything for a few weeks yet, so plenty of time to get things sorted.

In terms of retiring at 45, as you probably know, my wife and I went through an horrendous time a few years ago now when severe complications with her pregnancy meant we lost our baby daughter and my wife ended up on a life support machine for 3 months and in a coma for 6 months. She ended up in hospital/rehabilitation units for one and a half years. At that point, my focus on life changed, and I have been thinking about pursuing other opportunities for some time. Then we sold our company, and the company we sold to were themselves purchased, and the whole company has changed (not for the better in my opinion), so a catalogue of things came to a head (the lady who did my exit interview yesterday counted 10 solid reasons) and I decided enough was enough, and off I go into the future with my head held high and excited about what might happen next.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Good show BB, always good to hear when people are wanting to put something back into society.

Nothing but admiration for your attitude :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Inspirational stuff, BB. No, sorry I didn't know very much about your personal tragedies mate, I was possibly away on one of my sabbaticals (from the forum :P ) as well as having a lot on my own plate with caring for poorly parents and the like. (Just to say that none of it ended well but I'm proud of how me and my partner always did our utmost to make things easier for them). I left the 'rat race' in 2002 and have just about survived since. I'm far from comfortable financially but I'm rich in other ways which isn't a boast but a compliment to my loved ones :D When I took the plunge again, after leaving work and finishing my 2 year course at 'uni', i decided to sell my house, a little semi-detached home. A mate said, 'No matter what happens, you'll never be without a roof over your head while you have friends around you', Thankfully it never came to that but what a comfort it was.

As I said, I worked for a couple of charities just to pay my bills really over a couple of years but realized that I would have loved to do Volunteer Work if in a position to, I sensed how good and honorable a cause such commitment is. Very impressive outlook you have there :)

I hope life's treating you and yours better now.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote: Fantastic effort BB - so good in fact that really you should think about changing your avatar from a tax avoiding superstar :P My last two 'proper' jobs were part time with a couple of charitable orgs, I was in accounts/admin. There were always Volunteer roles available too within a hub of community concerns we over-saw but I remember it was quite hard to actually get the 'job' as a Volunteer.

If I'm being too nosy, ignore this question mate - what has made you decide to retire at 45 then?
Cheers ANS, apparently my avatar is down to pure looks (not that Mrs BB would concur :D).

I am looking at volunteering roles within the two charities mentioned, purely on the basis of I love dogs (particularly how their minds work etc) and I want to help someone/people with disabilities. I have also looked at Dogs for Autism and loads of other charities involving dogs but the various roles within Guide Dogs and Hearing Dogs are very interesting if you like that sort of thing (appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea). You are right though, the process has been very long, arduous at times, but I have persevered as it is what I want to do, and I think I did ok at the Hearing Dogs interview and hopefully the Guide Dogs one will go ok. I cannot do anything for a few weeks yet, so plenty of time to get things sorted.

In terms of retiring at 45, as you probably know, my wife and I went through an horrendous time a few years ago now when severe complications with her pregnancy meant we lost our baby daughter and my wife ended up on a life support machine for 3 months and in a coma for 6 months. She ended up in hospital/rehabilitation units for one and a half years. At that point, my focus on life changed, and I have been thinking about pursuing other opportunities for some time. Then we sold our company, and the company we sold to were themselves purchased, and the whole company has changed (not for the better in my opinion), so a catalogue of things came to a head (the lady who did my exit interview yesterday counted 10 solid reasons) and I decided enough was enough, and off I go into the future with my head held high and excited about what might happen next.
Can't but applaud the move you are making Kev. You and I have spoken about it many times I know but to reiterate again, "This is not a rehearsal!"
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:
rigger wrote:I would hazard a guess that 80% of the population would retire on that kind of windfall.

Really? 80%, that's a lot of people.
Yeah, I think a lot of people could pay off what remains of their mortgages and work part-time in a job they either like or can forget about at 5pm ..
I'd bite yer arm off for that if there was a clause which said I had to stop working.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:I retire a week tomorrow, at the grand old age of 45.

However, I will (hopefully) be doing some volunteer work for a number of animal charities. Does that mean I have retired or not :?
Beat you to it BB

I retired at 40 and do work for animal charities.

OK so I had to restart work but that doesn't count :(
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

dlw10 wrote: Can't but applaud the move you are making Kev. You and I have spoken about it many times I know but to reiterate again, "This is not a rehearsal!"
On that point Sir Dave, thank you for your advice and patience, very much appreciated :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Davycc wrote: I retired at 40 and do work for animal charities.
If you don't mind me asking, which charities did you work for Davy ?
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Davycc wrote: I retired at 40 and do work for animal charities.
If you don't mind me asking, which charities did you work for Davy ?
Nothing global,I do work for a local dog and cat charity http://www.midantrimanimalsanctuary.org/ and I rescue unwanted pet birds through my own contacts

MAAS is a really worthy cause, they refuse to put down any healthy dog or cat. A small charity that needs every penny
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders