Are Steve Evans' days numbered and should they be?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Are Steve Evans' days numbered and should they be?

Post by gilesdriveby »

Excellent interview.

Best thing Massimo could do is offer him a contract in early May. No room for doubts, just let him get on with preparing for next year.
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

Enjoyed that, Evans has confidence in his own ability.

I think he can get us further up the table next season with 2 or 3 quality signings and 2 or 3 'squad' player signings.

Hope the owner recognises this but that will be proved shortly.
john stubbs
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by john stubbs »

Alas the performances are too inconsistent for me to think that Evans is the man to take us forward- a couple of wins and then this. Neither is Cellino the man to lead us, too erratic and prone to do things on a whim. But we are stuck with Cellino unless there is a fairy god father somewhere. So I will just have to unpin any reference to Leeds and stay in France and try and support PSG or something. But then, look what Leicester have done with owners who let the manager get on with his job, and buy who he wants- because they trust him
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

john stubbs wrote:... support PSG or something.

NO !!
Don't do that.
I don't know where you live, but pick another team - don't follow that lot.

My French team is Lille because an old girlfriend's brother lived there and I went to see them a few years back.
The city is actually twinned with Leeds, officially France's second city I believe, and they're both northern, former industrial centres whose name starts with an "L" and has five letters in it :D

Plus, they beat ManU in the CL a few years ago :D

Need any more reasons ??
balster
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by balster »

Evans has shown countless times that his tactics are poor. Too many inconsistencies from the team and it's down to his tactics and lack of leadership.
Billy Bremner: "Every time Leeds concede a goal I feel like I've been stabbed in the heart."
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote:
john stubbs wrote:... support PSG or something.

NO !!
Don't do that.
I don't know where you live, but pick another team - don't follow that lot.

My French team is Lille because an old girlfriend's brother lived there and I went to see them a few years back.
The city is actually twinned with Leeds, officially France's second city I believe, and they're both northern, former industrial centres whose name starts with an "L" and has five letters in it :D

Plus, they beat ManU in the CL a few years ago :D

Need any more reasons ??
Sold, my French team is Lille :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

The city is a beautiful mediaeval settlement with an ancient citadel slap bang in the heart of it, with a winding river surrounding the fortress almost like a natural moat. The town square is cobbled - a bit like Brussels - and there's a wealth of great restaurants, bars, markets and shops.
I would recommend you seek out one of three Trois Brasseurs brasseries if you ever stay there - they serve fantastic, traditional French cuisine but they also brew their own ales on the premises : http://les3brasseurs.ca/eng/

The club have an interesting history in French football, having been founded at the end of WWII and last won the league in 2011 (actually the double) having not won anything since 1956. They also have a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium in time for the Euros which I've yet to visit, though the old one was a tight, open bowl style on two sides, holding about 30k.
Their big rivals are Lens, who play about 30km up the road - a bit like Saints-Pompey.

When I saw them, they beat PSG 1-0 on the opening day of the season, funnily enough. It was a blisteringly hot day in August and the football was very technical, but slow-slow-quick-quick-slow in nature - I liked it.

Eden Hazard was the lynchpin of the side back then, even though he was about 12 years old ;)

The main stars now are Nigerian keeper Vincent Enyeama and France international hardman midfielder Rio Mavuba, though they also have Morgan Amalfitano (ex-West Ham) on their books along with a young Ghanaian striker called Yaw Yeboah, who's on loan from Man City.

Joe Cole played a season there a couple of years ago and took the league by storm - they loved him over there, and it was like a mini-version of the adoration enjoyed by Hoddle and Waddle in their pomp at Marseilles - another horrible club you should avoid ! ;)
He was known simply as "L'Anglais" :)

It's a proper football club.
The city's great and really well located to get to Belgium, Holland and Germany - not to mention England - and it's an hour or so to Paris on the superfast French trains.
There's also a massive FNAC (best record shop chain in the world) and a really good second-hand record shop too.

Blimey, I want to move there myself now ..
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

gilesdriveby wrote:Excellent interview.

Best thing Massimo could do is offer him a contract in early May. No room for doubts, just let him get on with preparing for next year.
Completely agree. It takes time to develop a team and a squad - ask Nigel Pearson! He has missed out on reaping the benefts of his own hard work.

If Cellino gets rid of Evans for some other ridiculous choice then that is me done with it all!

He says he want a foreign manager (He has apparently asked Mourhinio). WHY?
We are in the Championship, we need a manager experienced in this - does he not learn anything by his mistakes. Makes me so angry!

Rant over!
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

Erm...Boro have a Spanish manager, Watford had an Italian when they went up. Just depends whether the manager he brings in, if he does, is better than Evans.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the guy, but if there is a better one out there, with more chance of getting us up next season, then I would hope he/she would be brought in. Evans is a little naive tactically and his substitutions and team selections sometime make me scratch my head in disbelief. Passion, which he clearly has, isn't enough on its own.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

I'm with Frankie on this - I've said for a while now that despite all the very stupid and mostly very wrong stuff Cellino has done thus far, if he does not give Evans the chance I will consider it the most stupid thing he's done and i too will be so very angry and annoyed. ( That will be the extent though... I still couldn't go on to say "I'm done with it!")
As to those who point at Evans tactics and the erratic nature of the side - I can't blame Evans for that, he is working with what he has at his disposal. We all acknowledged that the arrival of Bridcutt and Dave helped us greatly and I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that given the opportunity he'd find us more good players - we only need a few. The inconsistency of the results I put down to the number of young players we have too, not a failure of Evans.and in fact Evans himslef has pointed this out.
Having said all that though I am still sure I am going to be very, very angry.