Individual +/- stats

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Individual +/- stats

Post by lufctrav »

I follow a number of sports and one that i really enjoy is ice hockey. A stat that is used a lot is a players plus/minus numbers - basically an individual goal difference. A plus is achieved by being on the pitch when a goal is scored and a minus is when a goal is conceded.
I'll try and update it after every league match (within 24 hours) and see what we come up with. Make of it what you will but i believe it will reveal our better players over the course of the season and influences a game in one way or another. The midfielders especially.
After Cardiff away

+/- (starts+apps)
Green -2 (8)
Berardi -1 (1)
Bamba -5 (2)
Bartley -2 (8)
Taylor -2 (8)
Diagouraga -3 (1)
Vieira -1 (5+1)
Dallas -1 (4+1)
Grimes -1 (1)
Roofe -3 (2+5)
Wood -2 (7+1)
Coyle -2 (+1)
Antonsson -5 (6+2)
Sacko +2 (6+2)
Ayling +2 (7)
Hernandez 0 (5)
Mowatt 0 (3+3)
Cooper 0 (3)
Phillips -1 (2+5)
Bridcutt -1 (4)
Doukara +1 (+2)
Jansson +2 (3)
O'Kane +2 (2)

I believe that helps to confirm what a lot of us on here have been saying, that the new players have improved on what we already have. Antonsson's -5 surprises me while there aren't any surprises to me amongst the rest really.
Deleted User 728

Re: Individual +/- stats

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Ahhh, stats.

I know what you mean, but you really can twist 'em to fit any argument.

I was at Saints v Palace in the League Cup on Wednesday and said to my mate that Yoshida's Opta figures would be amazing for the night simply because he made 4 or 5 interceptions, won half a dozen "key" headers, passed the ball ten yards or so about 20 times, all with 100% completion rates and the cherry on the cake was a punted clearance upfield with his wrong foot that Nathan Redmond somehow managed to get on the end of (it was the 86th minute) meaning he never gave the ball away once.

.. and yet he wasn't amazing on the night. He was just doing his job.
I was more impressed by the three distinct centre-half "nudges" he gave to the player he was marking - normally the much bigger Conor Wickham (seriously, Palace is like Land Of The Giants!) - when he'd just use his elbow or shoulder to wrong-foot his opponent for a second or two just before they'd both leap for the header.
The incidents happened right in front of us and as both of us watching used to play in defence we applauded them more than anything else he did, the wily old pro ..

... but you won't see those kind of things in the stats pack after the match.

It's like with "Assists".
Yes, it's all well and good that Gary Mac set up 9 goals the year we last won the league, but what about the "Assist assist" by Batty on no less than twenty three* occasions ?

*figures may have been made up to support my argument
lufctrav

Post by lufctrav »

After Ipswich

+/- (starts+apps)
Green -1 (9)
Berardi -1 (1)
Bamba -5 (2)
Bartley -1 (9)
Taylor -1 (9)
Diagouraga -3 (1)
Vieira -1 (5+1)
Dallas 0 (5+1)
Grimes -1 (1+1)
Roofe -3 (2+6)
Wood -1 (8+1)
Coyle -2 (+1)
Antonsson -5 (6+2)
Sacko +3 (7+2)
Ayling +3 (8)
Hernandez +1 (6)
Mowatt 0 (3+4)
Cooper 0 (3)
Phillips 0 (3+5)
Bridcutt -1 (4)
Doukara +1 (+2)
Jansson +3 (4)
O'Kane +3 (3)
lufctrav

Post by lufctrav »

rigger wrote:Ahhh, stats.

I know what you mean, but you really can twist 'em to fit any argument.

I was at Saints v Palace in the League Cup on Wednesday and said to my mate that Yoshida's Opta figures would be amazing for the night simply because he made 4 or 5 interceptions, won half a dozen "key" headers, passed the ball ten yards or so about 20 times, all with 100% completion rates and the cherry on the cake was a punted clearance upfield with his wrong foot that Nathan Redmond somehow managed to get on the end of (it was the 86th minute) meaning he never gave the ball away once.

.. and yet he wasn't amazing on the night. He was just doing his job.
I was more impressed by the three distinct centre-half "nudges" he gave to the player he was marking - normally the much bigger Conor Wickham (seriously, Palace is like Land Of The Giants!) - when he'd just use his elbow or shoulder to wrong-foot his opponent for a second or two just before they'd both leap for the header.
The incidents happened right in front of us and as both of us watching used to play in defence we applauded them more than anything else he did, the wily old pro ..

... but you won't see those kind of things in the stats pack after the match.

It's like with "Assists".
Yes, it's all well and good that Gary Mac set up 9 goals the year we last won the league, but what about the "Assist assist" by Batty on no less than twenty three* occasions ?

*figures may have been made up to support my argument
I understand what you are saying but i do believe that stats do tell a story.
'Score involvements' is something that's recently started to be used in the AFL here and it's a good stat. The NHL gives out assists in similar fashion
Fordy88
Giddy Kipper

Post by Fordy88 »

Hi,

I think stats being misleading is a good argument when based on one or two games.

The point of this is that over a season trends will show and I think that stats do reflect form and performance.

For example, early this season and last Harry Kane hardly scored for Spurs, by the end of the season last year he was at the top end of the scorers charts and will be this year too. We all know he is a quality striker/finisher with the knack of right place right time (like Wood with better finishing technique). But if you looked at those stats over the first few games you may think he is s**t.

Point being over a period of time stats rarely lie, I think this thread is a great idea.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Algorithms, forget garlic bread, its the future.
lufctrav

Post by lufctrav »

After Bristol away

+/- (starts+apps)
Green -2 (10)
Berardi -1 (1)
Bamba -5 (2)
Bartley -2 (10)
Taylor -2 (10)
Diagouraga -3 (1)
Vieira -1 (5+1)
Dallas -1 (6+1)
Grimes -1 (1+1)
Roofe -3 (2+7)
Wood -2 (9+1)
Coyle -2 (+1)
Antonsson -5 (6+2)
Sacko +2 (8+2)
Ayling +2 (9)
Hernandez 0 (7)
Mowatt 0 (3+4)
Cooper -1 (3+1)
Phillips -1 (4+5)
Bridcutt -1 (4)
Doukara +1 (+2)
Jansson +3 (5)
O'Kane +2 (4)
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

Great, i support the thread.
First time i see that one though, lets see what it's worth.
But i reckon bamba is already out and his state wouldnt change/matters anyway.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I've played around with the stats to make them a bit more easy to interpret.

The first table is ranked by points, the second by average points per appearance :

lufctrav

Post by lufctrav »

rigger wrote:I've played around with the stats to make them a bit more easy to interpret.

The first table is ranked by points, the second by average points per appearance :

I try my best on my phone :lol:
Thanks though, it makes for much easier reading.