Harry Redknapp on Leeds

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: Harry Redknapp on Leeds

Post by Deleted User 728 »

It's a tricky one.

If it was a FIFA rule then the rest of the world would be severely hampered.
Most of the big club sides in Africa are managed by foreigners as there's simply not the history there to provide enough adequate coaches out there. Same even with the bigger English-speaking nations like USA and Australia. Without the infrastructure and culture of decades of the professional game, it's a big ask for a fledgling nation ..

I don't really care, to be honest, and I would view it as a restraint of trade anyway, so I'm quite happy with the way it is ..
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

Went to a Birmingham City forum a few years back with some blues mates.

Trevor Francis was the main talker (he might have been the manager or just after that) and he was asked about the best team he ever saw and also the best team he ever faced (bear in mind the career Francis had both in England in Europe and abroad) and he said the answer to both questions was Don Revie's Leeds United.

He talked about the 1972 FA Cup semi final and that it was the most brutal and clinical of lessons that Leeds inflicted on Birmingham.

He said that all this talk of 'dirty Leeds' and cynical tactics was a smokescreen and that we were the best team in Europe but never had the breaks.

Nice to hear when it comes :thumbup:
IrelandLeeds
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by IrelandLeeds »

ilkley62 wrote:Hi

1st post - not sure if its supposed to go in here but wanted to share a brief chat I had today with Harry Redknapp (I work at the airport) seems a lovely bloke, said he was at some PFA function /business, I asked himn about Gary Monk he said yes he's doing ok, he then proceeded without prompting to tell me what a fanatastic team Leeds were in his day, "Big Big team Big City" the best team he ever played against, he then started to go through the great team from No1 to 11 Sprake, Reaney, Cooper...... Clarke, Jones ... finishing with Eddie Gray & he stressed he thought he was an "absolute genius"!! I asked him if he thought we were a dirty team & he said no way, Leeds could look after themselves but they could play any way they wanted , hard, pure football whichever way they wanted. Anyway thought it was great albeit brief chat & if I ever needed reminding ( & I dont often) that that team were the best team in England for 10 years that was it.
I must be getting old! I recall that great Leeds team, my own countryman, John Giles, was an integral part of that side.
Think they should have won more than they did in that era, I have been a Leeds supporter since the 1960's and there are a lot of Leeds fans here in Ireland. Delighted to see team doing so well this season.
Congrats to Gary Monk and players.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Redknapp's dodgier than Allardyce, might have something to do with it. It's a shame but it's the hard truth, some people have difficulty in seeing it or more likely don't WANT to see it.
Yeah, that's the reason why he never got the gig.

After the shenanigans of Hoddle, Venables and Eriksson, I think they just want a quiet life these days, which is why Schteve McLaren got the job ahead of Allardyce and also why they appointed Woy.

I'm happy with Southgate.
I think he'll prove a few people wrong and get us to a semi-final in the next couple of tournaments.
Would that be the Johnson Paint Trophy? :D
I once played against Don Revie.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

IrelandLeeds wrote:

1st post - not sure if its supposed to go in here but wanted to share a brief chat I had today with Harry Redknapp (I work at the airport) seems a lovely bloke, said he was at some PFA function /business, I asked himn about Gary Monk he said yes he's doing ok, he then proceeded without prompting to tell me what a fanatastic team Leeds were in his day, "Big Big team Big City" the best team he ever played against, he then started to go through the great team from No1 to 11 Sprake, Reaney, Cooper...... Clarke, Jones ... finishing with Eddie Gray & he stressed he thought he was an "absolute genius"!! I asked him if he thought we were a dirty team & he said no way, Leeds could look after themselves but they could play any way they wanted , hard, pure football whichever way they wanted. Anyway thought it was great albeit brief chat & if I ever needed reminding ( & I dont often) that that team were the best team in England for 10 years that was it.
I must be getting old! I recall that great Leeds team, my own countryman, John Giles, was an integral part of that side.
Think they should have won more than they did in that era, I have been a Leeds supporter since the 1960's and there are a lot of Leeds fans here in Ireland. Delighted to see team doing so well this season.
Always great to see lots of Leeds fans from Dublin & Belfast coming in / out for match days at LBA :)
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

ilkley62 wrote:
IrelandLeeds wrote:

Always great to see lots of Leeds fans from Dublin & Belfast coming in / out for match days at LBA :)
Bet you don't get the same numbers for Doncaster, Rotherham and Hudderfield ? Hopefully I'll be tipping my hat as I pass through soon
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Davycc wrote:
ilkley62 wrote:
IrelandLeeds wrote:

Bet you don't get the same numbers for Doncaster, Rotherham and Hudderfield ? Hopefully I'll be tipping my hat as I pass through soon
No never see any for our lovely local clubs :D - occasionally get diverts for others, otherwise the only other fans are Celtic (assuming local Scots going to European games)
IrelandLeeds
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by IrelandLeeds »

ilkley62 wrote:
IrelandLeeds wrote:

I'm not from Dublin or Belfast, but I think you are referring to fans coming over from all over Ireland.
There are supporter clubs throughout Ireland.