Chris Wood

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: Chris Wood

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

rss1969 wrote:Beckford, Becchio, McCormack, now Wood.

It will not stop until we get into the prem again. That will not happen until we stop selling our best players.

It is a cycle that does not look like it will be broken soon.

Even if we get in the PL we will still sell players. If we have a gem of a player and we are mid table, then the top 4 will come in for him.

If we are top 4 then the likes of Barcelona can come calling, as with coutinho at Liverpool.

Players come and players go. That's football.

The only thing is we are getting decent money for him. Not like previous regimes when we sold Lennon for a million and Milner for 750k. (If my memory is correst). Also if Cellino was still the main man then wood would have been sold for a lot less.....

The cycle will.continue. the club progressing is worth more than any player. I just hope they are able to replace him with someone capable....
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I wish Woody well for his chance in the EPL, just a shame he's gone to Burnley, hope he gets the chance to play and not rot away in the reserves/bench like some of our previous ex-players. Sad to see him leave but that is football in today's world, move on and hope the club can find a good enough replacement.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Palpatan
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Palpatan »

I trust our new scouting network to bring someone in. We are playing with skill and pace and ideas. We will win more than we lose. With Saiz, we already have a more lethal-looking player than Wood - and he's in midfield. Saiz cost what, $3.5 million? Can't understand all the misery talk. As John said, $15 million + for Wood is "bite their hands off" money. Excuse dollar signs. Writing from the States. Onwards and upwards.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Gilford_NI_Whites wrote:
rss1969 wrote:Beckford, Becchio, McCormack, now Wood.

It will not stop until we get into the prem again. That will not happen until we stop selling our best players.

It is a cycle that does not look like it will be broken soon.

Even if we get in the PL we will still sell players. If we have a gem of a player and we are mid table, then the top 4 will come in for him.

If we are top 4 then the likes of Barcelona can come calling, as with coutinho at Liverpool.

Players come and players go. That's football.

The only thing is we are getting decent money for him. Not like previous regimes when we sold Lennon for a million and Milner for 750k. (If my memory is correst). Also if Cellino was still the main man then wood would have been sold for a lot less.....

Spot on for me is that

If he does well at Burnley he'll move up again in 18 months / 2 years - & in 5 or 6 years time he'll be back in NZ with 6 m in the bank instead of 2 m

Thats football
The cycle will.continue. the club progressing is worth more than any player. I just hope they are able to replace him with someone capable....
Jemsym
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Jemsym »

"One great season doth not a legend make"!

15 million was way over the top for Chris Wood imo. Further, I doubt Burnley will be willing to concentrate their attacking strategy on feeding goal scoring opportunities to a static lone striker up front, as we mostly did at Leeds. If they do, it could prove to be a costly mistake. Look how we played yesterday without having the imperative, or at least the psychological need, to "find Wood" in attack. I loved his goals for us last season but I was too often frustrated with his frequent fluffs and gaffs.

Again imo, Wood has neither the speed and mobility, nor the guile, to make an impression in the Premiership though I 'm more than happy to be proved wrong.
Last edited by Jemsym on 20 Aug 2017, 09:00, edited 2 times in total.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

imo I dont think 15m is over the top when you consider the earnings (just on TV, Prize money) difference between the PL & teams in the championship (eg Newcastle last season earned 7.1 million without the parachute payment of 40m) & the team finishing bottom of the PL this season will earn a minimum of 97m!!
it does bring home the fact that we need one of those seasons where everything comes together with the manager, team etc to get promoted so clubs like Watford, Burnley, Hull, Bournemouth..etc, etc are not in a completely different financial league to us.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Was speaking to my pal who works for Global autocare who the Leeds players and management get cars from and he said Wood handed his car back two weeks ago.

So it seems to me that he had made his mind up and wasnt staying at Leeds even if we tried to offer better terms.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Was speaking to my pal who works for Global autocare who the Leeds players and management get cars from and he said Wood handed his car back two weeks ago.

So it seems to me that he had made his mind up and wasnt staying at Leeds even if we tried to offer better terms.

I love little stories like that :thumbup:

Real nuggets that show the real world behind the smokescreen of hero worship.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote:
SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Was speaking to my pal who works for Global autocare who the Leeds players and management get cars from and he said Wood handed his car back two weeks ago.

I love little stories like that :thumbup:

Real nuggets that show the real world behind the smokescreen of hero worship.
So do I, but his car was definitely in the car park on Tuesday night as I made a point of looking for it.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

LAsouthcoast wrote:
johnh wrote:
SG90 wrote:I hate this modern idea that you're willing to go to a relegation fighting side rather than try and get your club up and become a hero. Beckford, Becchio, McCormack all went and we coped without them. Just wish we milked them for as much as possible. £15m seems too little.
If anyone had offered 5m for Wood the season before last, we would have bitten their hands off. So we have got an additional 10m plus add-ons for last seasons performance. I think its a good deal for everyone.
You beat me to it john and I think the way we played today is not suited to Wood.
We played today similar to the cup match when Wood also didn't play. Not sure why it wouldn't have suited Wood, unlike some of our previous main goalscorers hasn't insisted everything goes through him, he'd often go for an assist rather than a selfish attempt. That said whilst I didn't want him to go £15m is fair, though I thought £20m that was initially rumoured was fairer :lol:

Thinking with my head rather than heart, its a fair move for all, as John said he wasn't playing well before last season, and no guarantee that he would repeat it. Especially if with the new style of playing he gets less supply. Assuming we get promoted, we'd be in the PL with a No.9 who has 4 years left on contract and unproven at that level. fifteen mill will hopefully be able to get us a new striker and a CB.