Whelan has a go at Orta

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Whelan has a go at Orta

Post by Barlow Boy »

Barlow Boy wrote:Whatever happened to the Q&A session regarding transfer strategy that AR, Kinnear and Orta were due to hold in February ?.
Happening on Monday.........

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... 67/asklufc
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
TezzaWazzaBazza
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by TezzaWazzaBazza »

rigger wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Because we have been told there's not mega money available, once Pontus and Saiz have been sold in the summer, I think we will see a more targeted approach to recruitment rather than the scattergun approach we have seen at the start of this season.
Sadly, I think you may be right about these two, particularly Jansson if he has a good World Cup (ie he plays at least two games and doesn't get sent off !).

Saiz will probably move to a mid-tier La Liga team back home having put himself in the shop window.
We are absolutely screwed if those two leave. To go for promotion next season we need to keep them and add 3 more of similar quality. If we're relying on youngsters come through, it will take another 2 or 3 years at least, and plenty of luck.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

I just think that Whelan is frustrated, just like some of us fans are. As others have already said, this summer is HUGE, it really is. I don't get some of the signings made for the U23's, never will do tbh as all it's doing is overloading the squad which means chances will be limited for the players to progress as they aren't playing competitive football. I would ship the vast majority of them out on loan to 'understand' the English game, thus giving them the experience and possibly improving them as players.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Do we know for certain that is Orta is making all of the signings? Genuine question as I haven't ever seen it confirmed, just speculation. If so, I think Saiz, Forshaw, De Boch, Lassoga etc aren't bad signings at all.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Aaron wrote:Do we know for certain that is Orta is making all of the signings? Genuine question as I haven't ever seen it confirmed, just speculation. If so, I think Saiz, Forshaw, De Boch, Lassoga etc aren't bad signings at all.

And the longer we give all the new players, the better they'll be.

Yes, even Grot ..
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Aaron wrote:Do we know for certain that is Orta is making all of the signings? Genuine question as I haven't ever seen it confirmed, just speculation. If so, I think Saiz, Forshaw, De Boch, Lassoga etc aren't bad signings at all.
Yes, Saiz, Forshaw and Lassoga have been good signings, The jury is out for me on De Bock.

What about the likes of Wiedwald, Anita, Cibicki, Klich and Grot etc. Arguably, some have not had the chances, but out of the 15/16 signings we have made, 4/5 successes is not great.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I rate Wiedwald still and believe he'll come good. Goalies are funny buggers and take their time bedding in, perhaps more than outfield players.

Anita is quality too, but his versatility means he's been either shunted around or brought on as he's an old school utility player and therefore the perfect sub for many situations.

Cibicki is very young, as is Grot but having specifically watched the latter when we played Leicester I think he does have something, it's just too early for him. I'd like to see him play in L1 or L2 as he'd be ideal, physically, and it would be easier for him to build his confidence as he'd definitely score goals at that level.

Klich I think may be a bit like Lasogga in that he wasn't really fit when he came to us. The latter was played kinda by default given our paucity up front, while central midfield was one area where we had lots of choice, albeit very average.
Maybe playing in Holland (is it ??) will do him good and he'll come back raring to go in the summer. Poland are no mugs and he's played 10 times for them so he's got to have something about him.

Besides any of you agreeing/disagreeing with me on any of this, I bet we could sell all of them on for cash so in that sense Orta is doing fine for me.

What wouldn't be fine would be to be in Sam Allardyce's shoes with money to burn and then blow it all on a relatively unknown gamble of a player from Europe (sound familiar, all you knockers ??) in the shape of Tosun who cost a staggering £27m (not to mention a four and a half year deal) who is on the bench ..
birkybullufc

Post by birkybullufc »

You're looking at it all wrong Aaron. You're only supposed to judge him on the players that haven't played for the first team yet. :lolno:
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Yes, Saiz, Forshaw and Lassoga have been good signings, The jury is out for me on De Bock.

What about the likes of Wiedwald, Anita, Cibicki, Klich and Grot etc. Arguably, some have not had the chances, but out of the 15/16 signings we have made, 4/5 successes is not great.
That is the point. Who has confirmed it's Orta pulling the strings?
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Barlow Boy wrote:

I can only watch through the screen so maybe I'm missing deficiencies that can only be picked up at the match on the day.
Wiedwald can be awful and brilliant in the same game. That's the way with goalies - one mistake and you're a goal down. A bit like batsmen - you can play sublimely but one false shot... So I'm with Rigger on him.
Anita seems to be getting better. I thought he played well today.
Cibicki showed flashes in his first game for us but has had very little game time since.
Klich I liked the sound of but have hardly seen.
Grot looks like bambi.. no ... a giraffe on ice. I hope he becomes a world-beater for us. I've not seen anything but others have. Fingers crossed.

De Bock looked good when he first came here. Is it, as someone else has said, dependent on his defensive partner?

Lastly, not an Orta man, O'Kane. He makes mistakes, but so do all players at this level. He also makes some great passes, some important interventions and tackles. He should probably have taken a shot today (yesterday?) in the second half but he chose to pass.

I wonder how he gets on with the other players. When he got sent off a few weeks ago nobody ran up to the ref to complain yet it seems to be a natural thing for anything as minor as a throw in not going their way. He seems anxious. Maybe I'm just talking the proverbial but there you go.