2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by Otherworld »

Selby White wrote:
isrodger wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Davycc wrote:Sky Sports Transfer Centre

"Man City winger Ian Poveda is undergoing a medical at Leeds"
Medical now passed according to Daily Mail.
Whilst on the face of it this looks a really good deal - it does beg the question “How many wingers do you want Marcelo”? Arguably we have 5 regularly featuring regularly :- Alioski, Dallas, Hernandez, Harrison & Costa, whilst even going into the season the squad looked threadbare at centre forward & centre back. I guess certain managers have their foibles- Harry could never have enough forwards, whilst we became a bit ‘Centre backs are us under Grayson’ (non were very good at the time).

Let’s hope the lad has a bit of swagger / arrogance about him, as the pressure is going to be on the players, and irrespective of how good you are confidence is everything.
Get what you are saying about wingers but I see it as a direct replacement in the squad for Jack Clarke.
Whether it's an upgrade let's hope so.
Another plus is the new lad can play down the middle, has done at U23 level.
Of the 5 you mention Harrison & Costa play on the wing, Pablo sometimes does but lots of us prefer him in middle.
Also we need to be developing a long term replacement for Pablo, he won't keep going forever.
Alioski & Dallas are wingers (or wide midfielders) by trade but believe they are better classed as squad utility players, as are used as cover elsewhere.
Poveda looks more like a replacement for Pablo to me. A good opportunity now for him to learn from Hernandez, come into games to replace him in the last 30mins, give Pablo a rest now and again, and be there to step in when Pablo inevitably succumbs to injury...
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

Otherworld wrote:
Selby White wrote:
isrodger wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Davycc wrote:Sky Sports Transfer Centre

"Man City winger Ian Poveda is undergoing a medical at Leeds"
Medical now passed according to Daily Mail.
Whilst on the face of it this looks a really good deal - it does beg the question “How many wingers do you want Marcelo”? Arguably we have 5 regularly featuring regularly :- Alioski, Dallas, Hernandez, Harrison & Costa, whilst even going into the season the squad looked threadbare at centre forward & centre back. I guess certain managers have their foibles- Harry could never have enough forwards, whilst we became a bit ‘Centre backs are us under Grayson’ (non were very good at the time).

Let’s hope the lad has a bit of swagger / arrogance about him, as the pressure is going to be on the players, and irrespective of how good you are confidence is everything.
Get what you are saying about wingers but I see it as a direct replacement in the squad for Jack Clarke.
Whether it's an upgrade let's hope so.
Another plus is the new lad can play down the middle, has done at U23 level.
Of the 5 you mention Harrison & Costa play on the wing, Pablo sometimes does but lots of us prefer him in middle.
Also we need to be developing a long term replacement for Pablo, he won't keep going forever.
Alioski & Dallas are wingers (or wide midfielders) by trade but believe they are better classed as squad utility players, as are used as cover elsewhere.
Poveda looks more like a replacement for Pablo to me. A good opportunity now for him to learn from Hernandez, come into games to replace him in the last 30mins, give Pablo a rest now and again, and be there to step in when Pablo inevitably succumbs to injury...
Agree with this, he seems small and nimbel with good passing rather than leading to scoring. Pablo is not getting younger and we need creator. I know we create lot of changes but the quality could still improve.
bgd
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by bgd »

Some interesting quotes in here
Kevin Sharp, whose client Kalvin Phillips agreed a long-term deal in perhaps Leeds United’s biggest business of last summer, isn't a fan of the January transfer window.

“The month itself, it’s historically known as more of a loan or a panic month,” said the former Leeds player.

“It’s a reactive window, if anything happens to the current squad, clubs react, getting a loan depending on their financial circumstances or try to find some financial backing from their owner.

“It might be quite exciting when you’re watching it on Sky, but there is a lack of movement across the board and the majority are loans or a loan with a view to a summer move.

“That tells a story of the financial predicament of most teams. In the Championship that’s more evident because of Financial Fair Play, a lot of clubs are financially handcuffed.”
Alex Levack of Sidekick Management, who looks after Ben White, Leeds United’s loan star, says January moves can be difficult for clubs and for players.

“Generally it’s quite an inflated market,” he said.

“People normally leave their business until the end of the window, which we’ve seen in the past, the last week becomes crazy, the last few days even crazier. People don’t get their top targets, then panic and sign a player they’re maybe not 100 per cent convinced on.

“Also, for a player to go into a new team in January is tough, a different environment, different methods, different kind of training, a different voice. There’s no guarantee they’ll settle immediately and have an impact.
bgd

Post by bgd »

And The Telegraph says it's not quite over with Adams
Southampton will make a final decision on Leeds United’s deal for Che Adams over the weekend.

The Saints have rejected three offers for the 23-year-old but there is hope chairman Gao Jisheng will look again at the structure of the £20million deal and negotiate.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Would be interested in the general view as regards the acquisition of Bowen or Adams. (Would do one of those vote things but that’s way beyond my capability).

Given that ultimately we may pay the thick end of £20m for one of these 2 - Do fans want us to buy one; both of them or for us to keep our powder dry in the hope we could buy them both for that money in the summer?

Whilst it’s clear we need a desperately forward; there’s a £200m prize at stake, I don’t want us to get rinsed in the process. They could guarantee promotion however :- Bowen is another winger who may be superfluous to requirements & whilst Adams clearly fits the bill as a Roofe replacement, he is hardly in good form; has had one good season, & might not be all that! To put things in perspective Adams may not be as good as Roofe who we sold for a third of the price and will cost us the same transfer fee (possibly more) than what the best young striker in Europe - Erling Haaland has just moved for.

It’s a real dilemma for Radz, I am genuinely not sure if I was in his shoes wether I would stick or twist. Your thought.
Palpatan

Post by Palpatan »

I would buy 3 x £5 million players...

A centre back, attacking midfielder, and striker.

Save the other £5 million for wages.

Che Adams is no guarantee of anything other than having an alternative.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Palpatan wrote:
Che Adams is no guarantee of anything other than having an alternative.
Agree with that, we've signed a few over the years that the vast majority have seen as great signings at the time (Costa, Douglas & Roberts in recent seasons) only for them to prove no better than what we already have.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
PC71

Post by PC71 »

The fact that Che Adams has been Bielsa's number 1 target since the start of the window and has gone back time and again to get his man, he must have seen something in him that he can work with to make him into something special.
Palpatan

Post by Palpatan »

I’d prefer it if he saw something he could work with in a striker who has hit the net more than once in six months. Bonus points if that player isn’t our most expensive signing ever.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

PC71 wrote:The fact that Che Adams has been Bielsa's number 1 target since the start of the window and has gone back time and again to get his man, he must have seen something in him that he can work with to make him into something special.
Pretty much how I feel, according to reports it was Bielsa who really wanted Ben White and he is currently the player of the season in our poll.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.