2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Nketiah ends up back here given he’s 4th choice @ arsenal ... lets see.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

isrodger wrote:Would be interested in the general view as regards the acquisition of Bowen or Adams. (Would do one of those vote things but that’s way beyond my capability).

Given that ultimately we may pay the thick end of £20m for one of these 2 - Do fans want us to buy one; both of them or for us to keep our powder dry in the hope we could buy them both for that money in the summer?
I haven't seen any of them enough to make really a qualified guess, but in my opinion, Bowen is more likely to be Premiership quality than Adams.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Polkadot wrote:
isrodger wrote:Would be interested in the general view as regards the acquisition of Bowen or Adams. (Would do one of those vote things but that’s way beyond my capability).

Given that ultimately we may pay the thick end of £20m for one of these 2 - Do fans want us to buy one; both of them or for us to keep our powder dry in the hope we could buy them both for that money in the summer?
I haven't seen any of them enough to make really a qualified guess, but in my opinion, Bowen is more likely to be Premiership quality than Adams.
Totally different players, so hard to say which would be better. Personally, I don't think we've seriously considered Bowen this window, it's just paper talk.

Bowen is a quality player and will definitely be able to make it in the Premier League. I think Adams would too in the right side/with the right coaching, and he's much more what we need right now, but we're right to be balking at £20m (although it seems that would be contingent on promotion, at which point we could actually afford it).
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leonickroberts wrote:
Polkadot wrote:

Totally different players, so hard to say which would be better. Personally, I don't think we've seriously considered Bowen this window, it's just paper talk.

Bowen is a quality player and will definitely be able to make it in the Premier League. I think Adams would too in the right side/with the right coaching, and he's much more what we need right now, but we're right to be balking at £20m (although it seems that would be contingent on promotion, at which point we could actually afford it).
Tend to agree with Leo, two very different players.

However Adams is one that can play the Bamford role of loan striker. They are asking too much, we have offered more than enough if you believe the figures quoted.

Bowen would be a good addition but like Leo says I suspect paper talk.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Selby White wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:
Polkadot wrote:

Tend to agree with Leo, two very different players.

However Adams is one that can play the Bamford role of loan striker. They are asking too much, we have offered more than enough if you believe the figures quoted.

Bowen would be a good addition but like Leo says I suspect paper talk.
I agree Re Bowen but we don’t need him do we surely our priority is an out and out centre forward, then a centre back, then a left back & #10. Bowen who can play a number of roles, predominantly occupies the role Costs & Hernadez favour, who Harrison looked great in @ Arsenal, and where Poveda evidently plays.
white viz
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by white viz »

I also think we don’t need Bowen, as for an out and out striker I think Adams is a gamble looking at his form.If Southampton are wanting £3 million to arrange a loan then £20 million for permanent transfer why not go for Toney at Peterborough for maybe a £1 or 1.5 million loan then a £5 million fee we would be saving money and getting a better player IMO
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Phil Hay
@PhilHay_

9m
Via colleagues on the continent, European sources tell @TheAthleticUK
that Leeds United are on the trail of Red Bull Leipzig striker Jean-Kevin Augustin
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

I would love to have a player of Bowen's quality in the team but as others have said he is not our priority at the moment on the wing. We have plenty of wingers, yes he is arguably better than all of them but we only have 1 striker so that is of course the priority.

Here's a thought. Haaland wen to Dortmund and turned down the scum, there are two theories on this, 1 is that it was scum who rejected him as he wanted sell on clauses in the contract as well as a release fee. Meaning if he sets the world alight they won't be able to keep him shoul Real, PSG, Barca etc come knocking. The other is that he rejected them as his dad is a Leeds/Man City and advised him against it, especially after what one of the scum 'legends' did to him. I prefer to believe the latter which brings me to another point.

The release clause - Dortmund agreed to it, nobody has clarified it, there are rumours that it has to be one he agrees to not just any club that comes in with a sufficient bid. That being the case and considering last year we were linked with him (if only we went for it). I like to think he has done it with the intention of joining Leeds should we be promoted as he loves Leeds and was born here.

This is all very tongue in cheek but wouldn't it be nice to think of a player being more than a mercenary in today's football world.

As such we should only get a stop gap striker as we will have Haaland in the summer anyway so we'll be reet haha.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

MOT1964 wrote:Phil Hay
@PhilHay_

9m
Via colleagues on the continent, European sources tell @TheAthleticUK
that Leeds United are on the trail of Red Bull Leipzig striker Jean-Kevin Augustin
Saw him before fast strong and good with both feet.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders