Kiko Casilla

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
EastYorkie
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: Kiko Casilla

Post by EastYorkie »

The crux of all this is that Casilla is 'guilty' of breaking the FAs rules. The fact that those rules might appear a bit daft to the ordinary person is irrelevant.

The FA decided that just using the word 'black' to describe a player is deemed to be racist and must not be used by one player towards another. That's their rule and having made it they then have to apply it equally across the board until such time they might decide to change it.

The fact that Casilla isn't a racist and didn't mean it in a racist way will not be taken into account, He's just not allowed to use the word when describing a player.

So the club just has to suck it up. The club and others know Casilla isn't racist, so I don't think it will be held against him in anyway on a personal level. In fact the FA would probably agree he isn't racist but this is just their rules and as a player you have to abide by them no matter how daft they may seem to others.

The best thing for Casilla to do, is just put it behind him because both his statement and the clubs , make it appear that the 'illegal' black word was used even though it wasn't used in a racist way and was just being used descriptively.

To me its all blown out of proportion and if I was the 'black' lad concerned I would feel embarrassed about it.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories by the EFL against Leeds but this certainly gives fuel to the flame. If Kiko was overtly racist then he deserves it. If he said 'mark the black guy' then he was not being overtly racist. 'Black' is not racist in itself - we have the MOBOs (Music of Black Origin) is this racist because it contains the word 'black'? We refer to BAME For people of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic - is this derogatory?

It makes we think there must be more to it than this because in itself, what Kiko is reported to have said, would surely not have received this punishment. I guess we will have to wait to hear their reasons to find out. If that is all it was then Leeds should appeal - and Kiko should fight it as it will follow him around as a slur on his character.

What John Terry said was far more offensive and in that example he was clearly being racist - yet he got a far less severe punishment (because he was an England player perhaps).

However, the timing of this announcement and the time it took to process is disgraceful and unfairly upsets the preparations of Leeds for today's game. Could it not have been made even 24 hours earlier?

As I said, I've always pooh-poohed the conspiracy theories about the EFL, but this will just give those believers the fuel (and the excuses if we fail to go up) they want and is ill judged if it really is a storm in a teacup.

Hopefully Meslier will come through and take his opportunity but I'm sad for KIko because It is a horrible chain to carry around, especially if it is not true as he says.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Casilla has 2 weeks from Monday to appeal, FA has 3 weeks after that to reply, hearing cannot be until 1 week afterwards
So appeal would be 14th April or later His ban ends on 13th April.
Co-incidence ?
Why bother spending money on an appeal if the ban is already served ?
Winner of the Europa League
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

@EastYorkie has it right. The FA have their own rules, and if he has deemed breaking them then the punishment sticks. It does not matter whether what was used was deemed as acceptable or not in normal society or even if racist or not. Professional footballers are expected to keep to the rules of the game, it's just the FA are now deciding to more involve themselves in this type of matter than before.
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Tedbaker »

rigger wrote:My thoughts :

Calling someone "black" is, by definition and in the current woke climate, racist regardless of intent.
If you disagree with that statement, consider that by using the term you are specifically picking out one player against another purely and only because of the colour of his skin. It's more a dictionary definition than any kind of slur but that only depends on how the word was said.

John Terry calling Anton Ferdinand a "black ****" could've been so much less inflammatory ironically if he'd only used the c-word on its own.
You might call someone - in jest or otherwise - a "fat ****" or a "stupid ****" or a "ginger ****" Which is worse ?
Well, again I'd say it depends on the circs and how it was said but right now, today and at face value, it's a racist statement regardless of the scenario surrounding it.

Whether that's right or wrong is down to where you are in terms of being woke and for the FL and any other authorities they must be on the cutting edge of PC hence the 8-game ban.

Having said all of that, the way the FL have explained their reasoning is laughable, especially from a legal standpoint.
So that begs the question why we're not challenging it.
There may be hidden factors here : Kiko may have already lined up a new club for the summer given his admittedly tough time this season. The club may be complicit in his moving too, thinking it's for the best and realising how good Meslier is.
Also, has anyone considered the fact that Radrizzani may be selling up in the summer and doesn't want to deal with any of this for fear of it messing with the deal he's made with the new owners.
Something is happening that we don't know about or else this proud club would be making an appeal, I'm sure of that.

One thing that puzzles me is WHY it happened.
Okay, so Kiko is Spanish and his English might not be fluent enough for him to instruct his defenders precisely in the heat of battle. That's fair enough.
What isn't fair enough is the fact that he's played against Charlton once already this season and that Bielsa would 100% have briefed the hell out of the players on who's who in their squad, listing strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and threats - like any good manager in any industry - to give his team the maximum chance to win. That goalkeeper should have known who he would be facing in attack, what their strongest foot is, likely moves - eg shoots from distance, where they stand at corners, how they take a spot kick, etc - and by going through that process he should know their bloody names.

It all seems so avoidable to me.

But that doesn't matter now.

I actually do now believe he just said "get the black guy !" or something like that, purely and innocently.
Yes, by definition it's racist, but if he meant it maliciously he would've used a stronger word than "negro", the Spanish word for black.

If I was him, I'd leave English football and sue the FL anyway.
If I was in charge of the club, I'd appeal using the best lawyers I can find regardless of the FL's rules because the process of finding him guilty goes against the methods used by the law of the land.

As a fan, I'm happy for Meslier to be given his chance.

I actually rate Kiko but it's clear he's done a Woodgate this season and been massively affected by everything that's happened.
I agree with most of this. I feel sorry for Kiko. He seems to be devestated and seems to have affected his form.

If something is going on behind the scenes - I.e the sale of the club and the legal action is being suppressed then I would be disappointed. Not supporting Kiko will be bad for morale. My impression is that this is a close team.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Bulgaria were fined £65k for racist abuse not long ago. Kiko fined £60k doesn’t really weigh up :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Tedbaker wrote:

Calling someone "black" is, by definition and in the current woke climate, racist regardless of intent.
If you disagree with that statement, consider that by using the term you are specifically picking out one player against another purely and only because of the colour of his skin. It's more a dictionary definition than any kind of slur but that only depends on how the word was said.

John Terry calling Anton Ferdinand a "black ****" could've been so much less inflammatory ironically if he'd only used the c-word on its own.
You might call someone - in jest or otherwise - a "fat ****" or a "stupid ****" or a "ginger ****" Which is worse ?
Well, again I'd say it depends on the circs and how it was said but right now, today and at face value, it's a racist statement regardless of the scenario surrounding it.

Whether that's right or wrong is down to where you are in terms of being woke and for the FL and any other authorities they must be on the cutting edge of PC hence the 8-game ban.

Having said all of that, the way the FL have explained their reasoning is laughable, especially from a legal standpoint.
There may be hidden factors here : Kiko may have already lined up a new club for the summer given his admittedly tough time this season. The club may be complicit in his moving too, thinking it's for the best and realising how good Meslier is.
Also, has anyone considered the fact that Radrizzani may be selling up in the summer and doesn't want to deal with any of this for fear of it messing with the deal he's made with the new owners.
Something is happening that we don't know about or else this proud club would be making an appeal, I'm sure of that.

Okay, so Kiko is Spanish and his English might not be fluent enough for him to instruct his defenders precisely in the heat of battle. That's fair enough.
What isn't fair enough is the fact that he's played against Charlton once already this season and that Bielsa would 100% have briefed the hell out of the players on who's who in their squad, listing strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and threats - like any good manager in any industry - to give his team the maximum chance to win. That goalkeeper should have known who he would be facing in attack, what their strongest foot is, likely moves - eg shoots from distance, where they stand at corners, how they take a spot kick, etc - and by going through that process he should know their bloody names.

I actually do now believe he just said "get the black guy !" or something like that, purely and innocently.
Yes, by definition it's racist, but if he meant it maliciously he would've used a stronger word than "negro", the Spanish word for black.

If I was in charge of the club, I'd appeal using the best lawyers I can find regardless of the FL's rules because the process of finding him guilty goes against the methods used by the law of the land.

I actually rate Kiko but it's clear he's done a Woodgate this season and been massively affected by everything that's happened.
I agree with most of this. I feel sorry for Kiko. He seems to be devestated and seems to have affected his form.

If something is going on behind the scenes - I.e the sale of the club and the legal action is being suppressed then I would be disappointed. Not supporting Kiko will be bad for morale. My impression is that this is a close team.
There is the Bielsa angle too - last season the club were wanting to fight spygate but Bielsa wanted to simply take the punishment and carry on. He has a respect for authority even when they don't deserve it. So probably a lot of this will be to simply accept it as Bielsa believes the authorities would have ulterior motives or be swayed by public trends.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Eh. Do we refer to all people of race by continent now then? For instance in a situation where you don't know their names. Eg. What do the 3 guys want again? Well the ginger lad wants a bag of crisps, the Asian lad wants a sandwich, and the African geezer wants a bottle of pop. I'm lost. :wtf:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I don't get what you mean.
"Continent" ??

I think I explained the current "woke" explanation of racism quite clearly.

I'm lost as to why you're lost ..
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

I do agree with the ones here saying this is the rule, and the FA got to enforce it.
It is a good thing that the EFL trying to kick this kind of behaviour out, however I dont like the fact that the rules are enforced blindly without consideration.
take the offside rule for example. since VAR came in to PL and CL we get some preposterous decisions by refs.
goals disallowed for a nose ahead of the defender, penelty being called for someone pulling his hands towards his body while the ball hits him etc...

By the club's announcment it seems like kiko didnt have any real intent to harm, so i started to think:
I've lived in latin countries for about 2 years and i know that in spanish it's normal to call someone Negrito or Negro which means black.
it's not necessarily being said in a racist manner.
same goes for calling someone fat. in those countries you'd call someone gordito or gordita, which means fat or chuvy. some will introduce themselves as gordito/a as a nickname...
its just a cultural thing, something inherient in the language.

personally i found it beautiful that such words arent offensive to the people, cause i think that those kind of word are offensive because of culture rather than absolutly.

Now kiko is a spaniards and it might be different in spain, but nevertheless it could have been misiterpeted by the other player.

having said that, if he did had a go at the that charlton player im content with the messures taken, and even think the club should have fine him as well.