Season Suspended

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: Season Suspended

Post by lufctrav »

Belgium had 11 games remaining. Their playoff format is a round robin between the top 6.

When 80% of the season has been completed, it's morally wrong to deny teams of a title/promotion because it might upset the feelings of those below them. Everyone has had an opportunity to be top 2 at some stage this season.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

The only realistic options are: 1) Void the season 2) Determine promotion/relegation based on current positions 3) Complete the season. Anything else, awarding Liverpool the Premier League title and certain clubs avoiding relegation and others getting promotions but others not will be a Lawyers field day.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

lufctrav wrote: When 80% of the season has been completed, it's morally wrong to deny teams of a title/promotion because it might upset the feelings of those below them. Everyone has had an opportunity to be top 2 at some stage this season.
I can't agree with that at all.
By that basis we wouldn't have won the title in 92.
It's not over till it's over mathematically. That's my point. Then there's no moral issue because it's done and dusted.
I think it's morally, ethically and sportingly wrong to reward or punish clubs when nothing has actually been settled.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

lufctrav wrote:Belgium had 11 games remaining. Their playoff format is a round robin between the top 6.

When 80% of the season has been completed, it's morally wrong to deny teams of a title/promotion because it might upset the feelings of those below them. Everyone has had an opportunity to be top 2 at some stage this season.
So you are counting the play offs as part of the season?

Equate that to our league and we have potentially not played 80% of games.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
lufctrav

Post by lufctrav »

Selby White wrote:
lufctrav wrote:Belgium had 11 games remaining. Their playoff format is a round robin between the top 6.

So you are counting the play offs as part of the season?

Equate that to our league and we have potentially not played 80% of games.
It's more of a split but they call them playoffs.

From Wiki
The Belgian First Division A is the top league competition for association football clubs in Belgium. Contested by 16 clubs, it operates on a system of promotion and relegation with the Belgian First Division B. Seasons run from late July to early May, with teams playing 30 matches each in the regular season, and then entering play-offs I or play-offs II according to their position in the regular season. Play-offs I (also known as the title playoffs) are contested by the top-six clubs in the regular season, with each club playing each other twice. Play-offs II (also known as the Europa League playoff) are contested by teams ranked 7 to 16 in the regular season, divided in four groups of four teams playing each other twice (six teams from the Belgian First Division B also take part in playoff II). The team finishing in 16th place is relegated.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

I'm with you ANS... you don't get 80% of the way to the top of the mountain and not complete the journey. The last 10% is the most exciting too. I think even if it means next season teams only play each other once, get this season completed before starting another.
lufctrav

Post by lufctrav »

rigger wrote:
lufctrav wrote: When 80% of the season has been completed, it's morally wrong to deny teams of a title/promotion because it might upset the feelings of those below them. Everyone has had an opportunity to be top 2 at some stage this season.
I can't agree with that at all.
By that basis we wouldn't have won the title in 92.
It's not over till it's over mathematically. That's my point. Then there's no moral issue because it's done and dusted.
I think it's morally, ethically and sportingly wrong to reward or punish clubs when nothing has actually been settled.
We're going to disagree on this no matter how much we debate it, i can see it now.

First off, completing the season should still be option one.
Option two would be a condensed fixture list, prioritising relevant fixtures to fast track confirmed positions.
Option three is abandoning the remainder of the season.

I take your point about 92 but i don't believe the decision can be made based on 'what if's', only with what we have in front of us which is the current standings.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Here’s my view (or $2 worth) for what should happen to conclude this season although I expect the big wigs in the EPL & EFL to stuff it up and go for the coward’s way out.

Some things I hope happen and some I hope won’t

First off I have heard (unofficially) that Tennis expect to be back in January 2021 when the Australian Open will be played, the A league which got so nearly to the end of their season are looking to the fact that next season will start in January 2021 and run through to April, in other words a shortened season. The cricket season in England won’t happen at all.

I expect that a vaccine will come out in around 6-7 months so October or November and then has be given around, lockdown’s won’t be stopped until the Vaccines are administered. There will be no overseas travel till at the earliest December 2020.

My plan for football

That the season does not get voided in any way that is the coward’s way out as is ending the season now and promoting and relegating teams etc as Rigger has mentioned not morally fair for some people

If everything is clear by January 2021 the 2019/20 starts again and goes till the end of March to finalise all leagues around the world and who goes up and goes down in a fair way. Hopefully Leeds can stay in the top 2 and get promoted on merit and not have an asterix next to the season.

April would be used for all European/South American champions leagues comps (including Europa league and other like comps round the world) to finish and get a winner
The 2019/20 season would be finished in May 2021 in time for the Euros 2020, Copa 2020 (both now in 2021) which can be played in June/July.

There would be no season 2020/2021 at all, it would not exist in any way shape or form

The 2021/2022 season would start as usual in August 2021.

It won’t happen but to be honest it would be the fairest all round but I can’t imagine the leagues giving up a season but maybe they should!!!!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Mr Russell wrote: If everything is clear by January 2021 the 2019/20 starts again and goes till the end of March to finalise all leagues around the world and who goes up and goes down in a fair way. Hopefully Leeds can stay in the top 2 and get promoted on merit and not have an asterix next to the season.

April would be used for all European/South American champions leagues comps (including Europa league and other like comps round the world) to finish and get a winner
The 2019/20 season would be finished in May 2021 in time for the Euros 2020, Copa 2020 (both now in 2021) which can be played in June/July.

There would be no season 2020/2021 at all, it would not exist in any way shape or form.
Excellent idea Mr. Russell!

This is the most sensible option put forward that I’ve read anywhere.

This whole disruption will continue for most of 2020 so it should be geared to the half season completion of the 19/20 campaign. Allow a mid January start in ‘21 and with no midweek games it would ensure 9 weeks to finish the league (for us) and then the playoffs. That would take us to mid April. Then there is room for the international competitions.

Well done again Mr. Russell - just need to give the suggestion air now!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

Leagues across Europe have been told that ending competitions early could result in them forfeiting Champions League and Europa League places.
A letter sent by Uefa states that a plan is being formulated to complete current campaigns across the continent in July and August.

From here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148695