Leeds United vs Manchester United Memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Leeds United vs Manchester United Memories

Post by Mr Russell »

Ok I lied, here it is, what's your memories of this matchup -

January 3rd Remember the date? The only time Ferguson's side lost to a lower tiered side (1-0).

Brian Flynn's winner at Old Trafford in the 1980/1981 season in a 1-0 win.

Manure beating us 2-1 in the 1977 FA Cup Semi-final?

Those wonderful semifinals in 1965 and 1970 both won by Leeds (eventually) both by 1-0.

The destruction of Howard Wilkinson as manure and Cantona destroy us 4-0 at home.

Harry Kewell's winner in a 1-0 win, our last home win over them.

Those classic matches in the 1991/1992 season as they won the cup games but we win the title.

Manure fans storming the Kop.

The Wes Brown none own goal we would have won 2-1.

Stopping manure winning the title in the 1979/1980 season thanks to goals from Parlane and Hird.

Floor open........ :D
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Leeds United vs Manchester United Memories

Post by NottinghamWhite »

From personal experience these are mine.

1969-70 The three semi-finals in the FA Cup which ended with a Billy overhead kick winner at Burnden Park. The three games were all marred by football violence & it’s these games that I believe started the fierce rivalry. Certainly not for the faint hearted.

1971-72 Leeds United 5 Scum 1. From memory a Mick Jones hat trick sealed a truly outstanding performance. This game preceded the famous 7-0 thrashing of Southampton & from memory again we played better in this game totally dominating the opposition.

1973-74 Scum 0 Leeds 2 goals from Jones & Jordan made for an excellent trip across the Pennines.

I’ll add some more later.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:

1971-72 Leeds United 5 Scum 1. From memory a Mick Jones hat trick sealed a truly outstanding performance. This game preceded the famous 7-0 thrashing of Southampton & from memory again we played better in this game totally dominating the opposition.
Was at that match and recall it was 0-0 at half time.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

My rivalry/hatred of Scum Defo goes back to school which was basically split down the middle, you chose your team and hated the other.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:From personal experience these are mine.

1969-70 The three semi-finals in the FA Cup which ended with a Billy overhead kick winner at Burnden Park. The three games were all marred by football violence & it’s these games that I believe started the fierce rivalry. Certainly not for the faint hearted.

1973-74 Scum 0 Leeds 2 goals from Jones & Jordan made for an excellent trip across the Pennines.

I’ll add some more later.
I remember all those games, they're etched in my memory, Billy's winner in the semi at Bolton was a back header as he stood about a yard out though he did score an overhead against them in a league match at Elland Road around the same time.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Think I've only been to one encounter and the likely reason is that I was never a season ticket holder in the 70's and you couldn't just turn up at ER and get in for clashes with scum.

Bit embarrassing to say :oops: :oops: but I was with the prawn sandwich brigade on the day Flynn scored the winner in 1981. A company that was collaborating with my company had a box and my contact was an avid scum fan (he was an ok bloke, mind). We had a few pints beforehand, non-stop drink during the game and then went down to the players lounge for a couple more. I remember Gordon McQueen walking in; I was 6ft 3 back then yet he seemed to tower over me. Then in walked Martin Buchan who came across as a really pleasant person.

Recall I had a hangover at 7 in the evening.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

1971-72 Leeds 5-1 Man U must be one of the most one-sided games I can remember. We murdered them that day, the score line really flattered them.

1977 FA Cup semi-final was a really significant match because, for me, it really signalled the end of the road for Don Revie's Leeds United. It was also the last significant boot-boy riot before the whole football casual thing kicked off that summer. So, socially and culturally it was the end of an era.

I made a separate thread on that match some time ago.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Emley White wrote:
I remember all those games, they're etched in my memory, Billy's winner in the semi at Bolton was a back header as he stood about a yard out though he did score an overhead against them in a league match at Elland Road around the same time.
Of course you are correct I’m putting down as a senior moment :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I’ll go for that FA cup win an excellent day out with a few beers before and Beckford’s goal, the stuff of dreams. By the time we left the ground there was hardly a Scum fan to be seen.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

My last trip to Old Trafford to watch Leeds was in 2001, at the time had a contract company from Manchester working for me and one of them knew a member of the Scum coaching staff and got me ticket.
Was a match we drew 1-1 with Viduka scoring the first and them equalising late on (Remember Robbie Keane throwing Beckham to the ground like a rag doll). Robbie also scored a great free kick only to the early version of VAR (bent ref) to rule it out.
Anyway I was stuck sat on my hands through it all surrounded by gobby Scum. Half way through the first half I got a phone call as I had MOT as my ring tone it I dare not answer and the phone stayed under my coat. The locals never did work out whose phone was ringing (did go to the toilets at half time and put it on silent).

My last visit to OT was a 6/7 years back to support Cambridge in the FA Cup (was just before I met Cathy and went with a lady friend from Cambridge). Wore a Leeds shirt under my coat and prior to the match met her brother in a hotel bar, was full of Scum fans and boiling hot, was sweating for England but couldn't take my coat off.
Remember when we first arrived the local radio station came over and interviewed us live about the match think i was Cambridge, wasn't too impressed when I told them I was Leeds and only there to watch Man Utd lose ;)