Leeds United vs Manchester United Memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Leeds United vs Manchester United Memories

Post by kk white »

My one and only experience of playing them in Elland Road, September 1997. So many memories, so I'll just list them.

Staying in The Griffin Hotel
Tension in city centre all morning
One of their fan busses getting through the police cordon and unloading near Boar Lane/Duncan Street
Same fans being baton charged back onto bus :clap:
Sat in the cheese wedge with the Galway Whites
Ticketing fiasco where close to 7 thousand away fans were issued tickets
Wetheralls winner
Haaland v Keane
Singing 'Tubthumping' by Chumbawamba (I had to Google that) for an hour after final whistle, not letting their fans leave ("I get knocked down, but I get up again, You are never gonna keep me down")
Brian McClair flicking us the middle finger as their team bus eventually left ER

:D :D :D
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

A few yeas ago Fergie's Scum played a Pre-Season friendly at Selby Town and was basically the youth team with the exception he sent along Beckham & Scholes as they had started pre-season later than the rest of the first team.
Of course it attracted a large crowd of just under 2,000 (massive for Selby) but a week later Town played Leeds youth team and the crow beat it by a couple of hundred (and we didn't send any stars). :D

Back to Beckham, after the match he got stopped driving out of Selby and got pulled for speeding.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Home matches against Scum all seem blend into one, sure remember the wins (especially the 5-1) but it was more about the atmosphere, was always a edge to it.

A couple of big moments at OT I remember was firstly one time we beat them 1-0 with a Allan Clarke goal.
Was a night match and a very poor turnout by our fans to be honest, our small enclosure in the scoreboard end got a bit tasty as lots of their lot decided to say hello.
Got punched leaving the ground when one of them decided to take a cheap shot from behind.

Another visit and a penalty at OT to them and a great save from a very young John Lukic in front of a massive Leeds following.
May be wrong but think that one was a draw.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:A few yeas ago Fergie's Scum played a Pre-Season friendly at Selby Town and was basically the youth team with the exception he sent along Beckham & Scholes as they had started pre-season later than the rest of the first team.
Of course it attracted a large crowd of just under 2,000 (massive for Selby) but a week later Town played Leeds youth team and the crow beat it by a couple of hundred (and we didn't send any stars). :D

Back to Beckham, after the match he got stopped driving out of Selby and got pulled for speeding.
Is there any other way to get out of Selby? :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

1965. Four of us from work drove down to Nottingham, from Gildersome (fortunately one of us had a company car - not me!) Can't remember how we got the tickets but had good seats in the stand, about level with the half-way line. Had a good view of Billy heading the winning goal.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:A few yeas ago Fergie's Scum played a Pre-Season friendly at Selby Town and was basically the youth team with the exception he sent along Beckham & Scholes as they had started pre-season later than the rest of the first team.

Is there any other way to get out of Selby? :lol:
And that is not easy the A19 has been closed for what seems an eternity, got washed away in some floods over a year ago.

But there is the Canal ;)