Is it time to move on?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
TelfordLeeds
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: Is it time to move on?

Post by TelfordLeeds »

Totally agree Selby White. A lot of the line ups this season, due to injuries to our top players, have involved a fair few of those that MB inherited from a struggling championship side. MB knows we cannot compete financially with the big 6 financially, but thrives with getting the underdog upsetting the applecart. His time with Newell's Old Boys best summarises his philosophy and we will only be able to fully judge his success or failure when he has fully integrated the U23 "stars" in the first team. Nearly always a change in managers hasn't led to any marked improvement and mostly is a financial disaster. A lot of the building blocks have now been put in place and it is imperative that MB is given the opportunity to see his forward thinking come to fruition.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

Well Dom, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I agree with some of the points you make. However, I can only think of the succession of managers who couldn't bring success, the many years in the Championship and League 1, the constant micky taking from workmates and other teams fans. Not forgetting the defeats at home to Hereford, Bury, Crewe and the like. Cup defeats at Histon, Rochdale, Sutton etc..in constant years of failure and underachievement. In his tenure as Leeds boss he has taken us from literally a 'nothing' team making no progress to a 9th placed team last season in the top tier of English football. Granted he isn't gonna get it right every time but tell me what manager / coach does.
We haven't been as fluent this season but there are reasons for that. I think the main reason is the disruption to our settled side due to injuries. Bamford was everything you want from a striker last year so to lose him for this length of time has been a disaster. We haven't a single natural replacement so the whole dynamic of the team has had to change. I felt at Tottenham last week we looked like our old selves again. We totally outplayed them first half but unfortunately couldn't sustain it. I expected us to revert to that line up again v Brighton as it worked so well but sadly not to be. I don't have any reasons as to why but I trust MB will keep getting the best out of all our players and it will come right again when the side is settled and we have all our best players on the park.
whitedancer
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by whitedancer »

The under 23s aren’t fairing much better, letting goals in for fun,
We needed a decent back up for bamford,never got one
Never replaced Hernandez, apart from a host of wingers who have come and gone.
Dan James I think is a decent signing,but play him in he’s proper position.
Certainly miss alioski energy and forward play.
It’s basically the same 11 or 12 players every week in different positions. If meslier got injured it wouldn’t surprise me if Dallas got the jersey instead of klaesson.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I think our problem this season is fairly basic. When we have our full first team on the pitch, we have a weak bench. When four or five of our first team are injured, we are bringing in players who are not Premiership quality. This is unlikely to be the fault of Bielsa who can only go with what is available.
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’ll just pretty much copy and paste my words from our conversation in the Brighton match thread Dom :D

Come on Dom, you seriously think it’s time for MB to leave.

We have lost 5 games this season, 4 of which were against (probably) top 6 sides and even West Ham we lost was a last minute winner. We lost against Southampton without Ayling, Firpo, Phillips, Raphinha and Bamford.

The simple reason for loss of form for me, is injuries. We simply cannot cope with the loss of key players, such as Ayling, Phillips, Raphinha and Bamford, we just cannot cope. Yes, you can blame Bielsa for wanting a small squad but to call for his head is ridiculous. Any club in the Premier League would suffer a loss of form taking out five of their better players, blimey Liverpool went to pieces with the loss of just one in VVD.

As SW says interesting debate, you may want to add a poll to the thread so we can judge the question in percentage terms from members votes.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Taken from Facebook thought it applicable here.

Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Taken from Facebook thought it applicable here.

Ironic that the 70+ year-old says 'for Christ's sake' at the end, as Dominance said he expected to be 'crucified' for starting this thread! Sorry :roll:

Good lad is Dom but I won't comment on this thread as I don't want to cause offence :angel: :D
selbydave
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by selbydave »

i just think the fans hopes are just simply too high for this season
we could easily be 3-4 points better off this season if penalty calls had gone our way , but even then we would be competeing against established teams that have a lot more financial clout than we have
injuries and covid have decimated this squad but if you drop every under performing player you only have kids to replace them with
Firpo could be a could signing once he gets a run of games and stays injury free, yes he had to be subbed on saturday but he was barely protected against last seasons hottest prospect and a guy who terrorised teams last season
bamford is the ideal forward but how leeds play so his injury has hit hard but if joffy was playing in his place and was ineffective for a few games he would get the same dogs abuse reserved for roberts
we got lucky against brighton but on another day we could have snatched 3 points and we have yet to be lucky this season

the list of managers that have been succesful in the premiership is not that long but the list of good prospects to have failed is huge so be careful for what you wish for
realisticaly we need to survive this season which adds a few millions to the transfer kitty and hopefully blood more of the u23s
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Another Northern Soul wrote:

Ironic that the 70+ year-old says 'for Christ's sake' at the end, as Dominance said he expected to be 'crucified' for starting this thread! Sorry :roll:

Good lad is Dom but I won't comment on this thread as I don't want to cause offence :angel: :D
He didn't want Hockaday to leave, :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

johnh wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:

He didn't want Hockaday to leave, :shock:
Or Evans, or Warnock, or Adamson :lol: