Why Leeds United ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Gascoigne
Terry Venables's car dealer

Re: Why Leeds United ?

Post by Gascoigne »

They were just the local professional club. No great mystery about it. Also liked (and still like) rugby (both codes). In the area I grew up, any reference to 'football' was normally to rugby league, not the 'other football' played with the round ball.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Gascoigne wrote:They were just the local professional club. No great mystery about it. Also liked (and still like) rugby (both codes). In the area I grew up, any reference to 'football' was normally to rugby league, not the 'other football' played with the round ball.
Do you still live in the area ?

What RL & RU teams do you follow ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Gascoigne
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by Gascoigne »

Selby White wrote:
Gascoigne wrote:They were just the local professional club. No great mystery about it. Also liked (and still like) rugby (both codes). In the area I grew up, any reference to 'football' was normally to rugby league, not the 'other football' played with the round ball.

Moved away a long, long time ago. Lived all over the place. Now live amongst southerners.

Supported Castleford (Classy Cas) and used to play both codes as a local amateur. Always strongly preferred union to league when playing.

In later life, started to enjoy watching union and appreciate the game more as a spectator. Hate to admit to snobbery, but the atmosphere is more pleasant, less rambunctious than round-ball football and the games are interesting to watch, whereas football and rugby league can sometimes be boring, if we're honest about it.

I also don't like the 'foreign' element, which for a while steered me towards union. I'm not a xenophobe, but prefer to have an emotional stake in the team I'm supposed to be cheering on. Find it difficult to sympathise otherwise - for instance, the case of England. Sometimes it's not an English team.

Will always be Leeds - regardless of what tier they play in. When relegation happens - it must come to every club (even Manchester United have been relegated in living memory) - you find out who the real supporters are then.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Gascoigne wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Moved away a long, long time ago. Lived all over the place. Now live amongst southerners.

Supported Castleford (Classy Cas) and used to play both codes as a local amateur. Always strongly preferred union to league when playing.

In later life, started to enjoy watching union and appreciate the game more as a spectator. Hate to admit to snobbery, but the atmosphere is more pleasant, less rambunctious than round-ball football and the games are interesting to watch, whereas football and rugby league can sometimes be boring, if we're honest about it.

I also don't like the 'foreign' element, which for a while steered me towards union. I'm not a xenophobe, but prefer to have an emotional stake in the team I'm supposed to be cheering on. Find it difficult to sympathise otherwise - for instance, the case of England. Sometimes it's not an English team.

Will always be Leeds - regardless of what tier they play in. When relegation happens - it must come to every club (even Manchester United have been relegated in living memory) - you find out who the real supporters are then.
"I also don't like the 'foreign' element, which for a while steered me towards union. I'm not a xenophobe, but ..."
You're quite a piece, Mr Gascoigne.
awost1
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by awost1 »

I am American, but I played the game growing up. I never had the energy or fervor to work to follow the game overseas much beyond trying to watch Messi on Barcelona. I watched international soccer religiously and mourned the terrible things USA does to run its soccer "program".

After moving to a new job, I had numerous coworkers who follow the Prem and thus I have been inclined to select a team. I observed this year, and after some investigation, I have decided to pledge my support to Leeds United. I'm excited to find a team with a strong history, but not a team that is a bandwagon to join. I'm excited about the young players I see, and I hope Kalvin sees this project out with me. Leeds feels good to support and I am excited to watch games this year.

I would also be lying if I said I wasn't a Marsch and Aaronsen fan (as he is from my local area), but I know they are both probably temporary figures behind the shirt of the Whites.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

awost1 wrote:I am American, but I played the game growing up. I never had the energy or fervor to work to follow the game overseas much beyond trying to watch Messi on Barcelona. I watched international soccer religiously and mourned the terrible things USA does to run its soccer "program".

After moving to a new job, I had numerous coworkers who follow the Prem and thus I have been inclined to select a team. I observed this year, and after some investigation, I have decided to pledge my support to Leeds United. I'm excited to find a team with a strong history, but not a team that is a bandwagon to join. I'm excited about the young players I see, and I hope Kalvin sees this project out with me. Leeds feels good to support and I am excited to watch games this year.

I would also be lying if I said I wasn't a Marsch and Aaronsen fan (as he is from my local area), but I know they are both probably temporary figures behind the shirt of the Whites.
Welcome to not only the best Leeds Utd forum but arguably the best football forum, you have chosen well.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Yes welcome in and thanks for adding your pin to our members map.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

awost1 wrote:I am American, but I played the game growing up. I never had the energy or fervor to work to follow the game overseas much beyond trying to watch Messi on Barcelona. I watched international soccer religiously and mourned the terrible things USA does to run its soccer "program".

Welcome, spent a lot of time in your part of the world, my wife is from the Hershey/Lebanon area of PA, I lived there with her for a few years before moving up to Toronto.

As an Englishman with connections in the north east of the US, I'm always delighted to hear about people from the area making the right choice in terms of Premier League side. I also feel like there's a lot of similarities between PA and Yorkshire, arguably Philly and Leeds as well, so supporting Leeds from where you live makes perfect sense :D
USATim
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by USATim »

I live in South Florida. Like to say I follow Beckham's squad but I actually follow all of MLS, watching and hoping the league grows. We are doing a great job with the academies here, so that is cool.

I have followed Chelsea religiously, up to this point, because of Pulisic. Actually have an intense hatred for them now, hoping they lose if Pulisic isn't playing but do well if he does. Not a Tommy Tuchel fan. Think he is a system guy, good on defensive strategizing but lost when it comes to the attacking side of the game. He is killing Pulisic's development.

So, that brings me to Leeds. Big Jesse fan, having watched him since his playing days here in the States. Fully believe in him and his philosophy. Leeds actually got our two scrappiest players with the biggest hearts and drive in Aaronson and Adams. Think you are going to like these two. And Brenden's younger brother is actually going to be better than he is down the line. Someone to keep an eye on.

Anyway, thanks for having me. Looking forward to waking up at 8 am here to the PL and watching it until 3 in the afternoon. Will be a devoted and ardent supporter of Leeds! Looking forward to getting to know all of the rituals, nuances and history of Leeds football.
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

Welcome USATim, I agree regarding Paxten Aaronson - I think his ceiling is on a level with Gio Reyna and Pulisic, might throw his contemporaries Cowell and Caden Clark in there as well. I hope he matches his big brother's work rate and finds his way over to Yorkshire