2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Seems to me that major surgery is needed but with a careful eye in the credit and debit column. No way do I want to "live the dream" Ridsdale style.
First order of the day is Victor Orta. Passionate about Leeds United it seems like but we really need to bring in someone who makes a better fist of that very important job than VO has particularly in relation to senior players.
Raphinha looks like he'll be on his way elsewhere and to start with ALL the remainder of the players that have been brought in after we got into the Premiership need to be moved on. There really isn't the quality there that we need.
The players that helped to get us into the Premiership will always have a special place in our hearts but a number of them are creeping up to that 30 year old marker, indeed some have passed that I'm sure so that also need a review. Let's be honest, Marcelo Bielsa had them playing in a way that they themselves never know they were capable of. MB, sadly, is no longer around and the same players are starting to look Championship standard now. That ain't going to improve by itself.
We desperately need a striker and a creative midfielder as well so the list of players needed is not short and also we have a small squad now to begin with. There is a lot of hard work to be done in the close season and I really hope we don't fanny about until August before we get into a drawn out saga to get just one particular player in........
Keep The Faith / WAL
PC71
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PC71 »

Selby White wrote:
PC71 wrote:I would like us to go for Pope and Taylor from Burnley.

Take some pressure off Meslier and help him progress.
Pope is 30 years old and some would say a prime age for a keeper, he isn't going to come here to play 2nd fiddle to Meslier.
Should only sign someone such as Pope if we are happy to lose Meslier, not for me.
Meslier has two seasons Premier League experience, he's no longer a kid and will have International ambitions, he wont want to sit on the bench.

Klaesson is good and one day may overtake Meslier not a problem position in my eyes.
I didn’t say I would bring Pope in as second fiddle, he would be my first choice at the start of the season, then see what happens.
Let’s not forget Meslier only became first choice when Kiko went bad.

If Meslier won’t stand for that, get good money for him and have an outstanding deputy in Klaesson.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

PC71 wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Pope is 30 years old and some would say a prime age for a keeper, he isn't going to come here to play 2nd fiddle to Meslier.
Should only sign someone such as Pope if we are happy to lose Meslier, not for me.
Meslier has two seasons Premier League experience, he's no longer a kid and will have International ambitions, he wont want to sit on the bench.

Klaesson is good and one day may overtake Meslier not a problem position in my eyes.
I didn’t say I would bring Pope in as second fiddle, he would be my first choice at the start of the season, then see what happens.

If Meslier won’t stand for that, get good money for him and have an outstanding deputy in Klaesson.
It's not realistic we'd spend 20-30 (or even 40) million for a goalkeeper like Pope.
There are some more urgent problems with this squad than the goalkeeper. Meslier has been exceptional for a year and a half in the Prem, he had a few howlers in the last few months, coincident with the defence falling apart in front of him. He will be fine, an experienced No. 2 however would be not bad.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

PC71 wrote:
Selby White wrote:

That's why I said we should only sign someone such as Pope if we are happy to lose Meslier.
I personally wouldn't be and as superfox says it's nowhere near our priority.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

[quote="PhoenixUnited"]Seems to me that major surgery is needed but with a careful eye in the credit and debit column. No way do I want to "live the dream" Ridsdale style.
First order of the day is Victor Orta. Passionate about Leeds United it seems like but we really need to bring in someone who makes a better fist of that very important job than VO has particularly in relation to senior players.

In fairness we are probably the most conservative club in the prem. Agreed on Orta but doubt he goes. Unfortuntely he will likely be gone only when SF 49ers takeover or he has another HUGE failure
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

SiMamu wrote: Right backs: Ayling, Dallas, Shackleton, Drameh
The first two are going to the first few months of next season, presenting an opportunity for the latter two, particularly Drameh. Shackleton could really do with a loan himself though, albeit this is probably his best opportunity to establish himself at Leeds. His sparse usage by Marsch so far suggests Marsch might have some doubts about him though. Regardless, I don't think this is a position we need to recruit in.

Centre backs: Llorente, Cooper, Koch, Struijk, Cresswell
I'd definitely sell one of Llorente and Koch in the summer (probably Llorente), with a view to moving Cresswell up the pecking order. If both were to depart, then we'd need another CB, but I think that Koch deserves an extended opportunity in his preferred position first.

Left backs: Firpo, Hjelde, Davis, De Bock
I expect Davis to leave, although I think it's a shame it hasn't worked out for him here. De Bock's contract is about to expire, so he'll definitely leave on a free (finally). Hjelde is more of a CB, so I'd definitely look at bringing in a LB for the U23s. On top of that, I just don't think that Firpo is suited to the intensity of the EPL and that it would be best for him to be sold, with a new LB being brought in, such as Charlie Taylor, Sergio Gomez (Anderlecht) or Maxwel Cornet (he played there a lot at Lyon, so would represent something quite similar to Alioski there). Struijk and Dallas also offer options here.
Koch playing at RB yesterday created a all new situation and wonder if it's in JMs mind to stick with him there.
Of course he doesn't bomb forward like a wing back would but thought it gave us a out ball from the back.
Meslier and occasionally the CBs played long to him he won the header and Raph often got the 2nd ball.
That allowed Raph to run at players and was his best game under JM in my view.
Think one of our issues in keeping the ball when it's played long is none of forwards are physically a good target.
Eventually we could do something similar with maybe Heldje on the Left.

Change of tactics from overlapping FBs but our wingers can be our strength so not a bad game plan, thought it worked yesterday.
Not having FBs that help out rather than get in front of the winger also makes us less open at the back allows us to play more attack minded players in midfield (Rodrigo & Greenwood yesterday).

Just a theory based on how I saw the tweak in tactics but using existing players and 2 for each defensive position -

RB - Koch or Ayling
RCB - Llorente or Cresswell
LCB - Cooper or Struijk
LB - Heljde or Firpo

DM - Phillips or Forshaw

RW - Raph or Summerville
LW - Harrison or James

AM (2) - Rodrigo, Greenwood, Bate + ?

CF - Bamford or Gelhardt

Add the 2 keepers and Dallas, Shackleton, Klich & Roberts (as utility back up) that makes a 25 player squad (26 once we sign an attacking midfielder) based on yesterday's formation and tactics.

Of course that is based on the current squad and we all have our theories who will leave and need replacing along with who should leave and get replaced.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

Selby White wrote: Koch playing at RB yesterday created a all new situation and wonder if it's in JMs mind to stick with him there.
Of course he doesn't bomb forward like a wing back would but thought it gave us a out ball from the back.
Meslier and occasionally the CBs played long to him he won the header and Raph often got the 2nd ball.
Think one of our issues in keeping the ball when it's played long is none of forwards are physically a good target.

Change of tactics from overlapping FBs but our wingers can be our strength so not a bad game plan, thought it worked yesterday.
Not having FBs that help out rather than get in front of the winger also makes us less open at the back allows us to play more attack minded players in midfield (Rodrigo & Greenwood yesterday).
I think it depends a lot on what kind of winger we play and what instructions that winger has.
If it's a player like Raphinha that enjoys being out by the touchline and he is instructed to go wide, playing with a defensive right back option like Koch can be a good idea. If the "winger" is more of a narrow type of player, the full back has to be able to provide the widht, and in that role Koch would be ineffective.

On the left side, both Hjelde and Struijk have had good games playing together with Harrison. The same would be here, if there is a more narrow-minded winger in front of them I think these two would look much worse at left back.

When it comes to full backs, if they are supposed to be flying up all the time or not doing it, I like how peak Barcelona did it. They had Dani Alves on the right back which was basically a winger for 90 % of the games and then on the left side they had Abibal which was almost more like a third center back. Last season when we had Alioski flying up and down on the left side it was clear to me that Ayling was a bit less attacking minded than what he used to be in Championship.

So in short: if we play Firpo or another attacking full back on the left I think Koch can be a good option on the right if we have Raphinha or a similar wide player in front of him.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Polkadot wrote:
Selby White wrote: Koch playing at RB yesterday created a all new situation and wonder if it's in JMs mind to stick with him there.

I think it depends a lot on what kind of winger we play and what instructions that winger has.
If it's a player like Raphinha that enjoys being out by the touchline and he is instructed to go wide, playing with a defensive right back option like Koch can be a good idea. If the "winger" is more of a narrow type of player, the full back has to be able to provide the widht, and in that role Koch would be ineffective.

On the left side, both Hjelde and Struijk have had good games playing together with Harrison. The same would be here, if there is a more narrow-minded winger in front of them I think these two would look much worse at left back.

When it comes to full backs, if they are supposed to be flying up all the time or not doing it, I like how peak Barcelona did it. They had Dani Alves on the right back which was basically a winger for 90 % of the games and then on the left side they had Abibal which was almost more like a third center back. Last season when we had Alioski flying up and down on the left side it was clear to me that Ayling was a bit less attacking minded than what he used to be in Championship.

So in short: if we play Firpo or another attacking full back on the left I think Koch can be a good option on the right if we have Raphinha or a similar wide player in front of him.
You are correct Polka it is very dependant on how we set up, just basing the theory on yesterday,.
May purely because Ayling & Dallas were out but could also be a deliberate tactic.
Been a concern for me for sometime that we don't really have a long ball option and using bigger fullbacks pushed just inside the opponents half provides this.
Watched some of the game again today and Koch won some many balls in that area and often gave Raph quality ball.

To be totally honest I'm still not sure what our regular formation will be next season.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Nohan Kenneh joins Hibernian in a permanent transfer.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

Barlow Boy wrote:Nohan Kenneh joins Hibernian in a permanent transfer.
Good luck to the lad. Hibs is a good club up there and he will have a good chance to make a go of it and come back down south once he has made his mark. He will fly it up in Scotland because he has great physical attributes. Best of luck to the lad. Seems a good one.

On another note it looks like Nketiah is indeed not signing a contract at Arsenal from what I am hearing. He is 90% the striker Phil Hay is on about.
I presume because of the free he will be on higher wages as often happens but Eddie for free is great business.

I just looked at my shopping list from the month we went up 2 years ago. From like youth players that aren't on the radar.

I only missed with 1 player (who is an Irish international now but not progressing to what I thought). The rest are at Bayern, Juventus, Ajax and.... Burnley :D

i really am obsessed with Leeds signing this lad Nathan Collins :lol: :D . I really think this lad will be an 60+ million pound player in 2 years and have thought him very soon to be world class for 4 years now. I don't see how he won't be in the top 3 defenders in the prem very soon like. i just have a feeling we will not really strengthen our defence at all. When we prob need 3-4 defenders in the summer.