2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by PhoenixUnited »

CheeznOnionPasty wrote: .....................I have 'some sympathy for Directors of Football/Heads of Recruitment, we fans expect them to deliver world beaters, who always perform instantly, with no failures, at the best price possible and to beat champions league clubs to their signatures - I have less sympathy for ours of course! :lol:
With every transfer into or out of the club the pressure on Jesse Marsch and The Board increases. All incoming players will be expected to hit the ground running and make the same sort of impact the Raphinha did from game one of the new season. Patience on the part of a lot of fans, and I dare say some on this forum :D , will be in short supply. With the increasing number of players we have brought in, and more expected perhaps, it's going to take time for JM to get all this to gel isn't it? :think: Time is a rare commodity in the Premier League
Keep The Faith / WAL
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

Polkadot wrote:
DominanceUK wrote:Some are saying it's been a decent window so far, I'm not in that camp - atm. A number 8 should be a huge priority but it seems we're over-looking that now to play the double pivot. Big mistake imo but time still to sort this out.
Gyabi is supposed to be the "ideal number 8" :D
Also the way Greenwood played against Brentford in the last game of the season he seems to be competent in a more number 8 role. Even Aaronson can play deeper if needed.
If you eatch that video podcast interview Aaronson did in the US earlier in the summer he describes 8 as his ideal position and aspiration, I forget how he says it but I found it a very interesting point at the time.

He likes to press and track back and tackle, so I think thats ultimately what he wants to become - an English style box to box number 8.

Maybe with him and Gyabi we are covered for a number 8 style player, who knows how this is all going to play out :crazy:

One things for sure I prefer this level of activity in the transfer window to the level we saw last year.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

CheeznOnionPasty wrote:
Polkadot wrote:
DominanceUK wrote:Some are saying it's been a decent window so far, I'm not in that camp - atm. A number 8 should be a huge priority but it seems we're over-looking that now to play the double pivot. Big mistake imo but time still to sort this out.
Gyabi is supposed to be the "ideal number 8" :D
Also the way Greenwood played against Brentford in the last game of the season he seems to be competent in a more number 8 role. Even Aaronson can play deeper if needed.
If you eatch that video podcast interview Aaronson did in the US earlier in the summer he describes 8 as his ideal position and aspiration, I forget how he says it but I found it a very interesting point at the time.

He likes to press and track back and tackle, so I think thats ultimately what he wants to become - an English style box to box number 8.

Maybe with him and Gyabi we are covered for a number 8 style player, who knows how this is all going to play out :crazy:

One things for sure I prefer this level of activity in the transfer window to the level we saw last year.
It makes sense. Lots of people call players like these far in front of where there are 2 pivots 8 and 1/2's.
If you take out flat formations and see the formation as a kind circle surrounding the ball it makes more sense.
Another point is Sinisterra also is good at this side of the game. Better out wide attacking but way better than Gakpo in this area in particular.
Aaronson will likely play off the forwards in possession much further forward and track back out especially if the initial press is beat. He will more likely win the ball back coming from the other side or help close the space and help the pivots force them into areas we like. He has the perfect gas tank for it. A trad 8 would be in no mans land and the press would be less effective, he would be isolated in and out of possession and played around. If that makes any sense 8 and 1/2's nearly always look to play in front of the ball. There are different variations but this is the narrow 4222 I have in mind.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

Also... https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/stat ... 9946605573
Sinisterra Done!

Now we just need to kidnap CDK's girlfriend and enroll her in a dental school in Yorkshire
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

corkleedsmot wrote:Also... https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/stat ... 9946605573
Sinisterra Done!

Now we just need to kidnap CDK's girlfriend and enroll her in a dental school in Yorkshire
Happy with this one, best deal we've done so far.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

So I've just been having a think about our transfer dealings and it seems the general view is that Adams is the least popular, including by myself as I question the fee involved.

However having thought about it vs our current squad. If you look at the areas he's good in off the ball and the way his on the ball ability drops compared to others, is he much different to Dallas? Take away the white tinted lenses, aside from our first year up when Dallas was superb but so was the whole team, he's never been particularly impressive on the ball but just an incredibly flexible and super fit workhorse to balance the team.

Isn't that what Adams is?

Dallas now has a huge injury and is over 30 so perhaps we're looking at a like for like replacement.

Just a thought, interested to hear your views on this
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Well despite the excitement of some I'm keeping an open mind on our signings as to be bluntly honest I had never heard of any of them before they were linked with us.

Amazes me how many on here watch the German, Dutch and Austrian leagues.

Of course since signing I've made it my business to use the skill of Google to find out about them and on paper looks like a few good deals. Will reserve judgement until we see them on grass.

I've said it before I have concerns about integrating a lot of players into a very close nit squad would hate to have a dressing room with no spirit like Man Utd.

Think our early matches are important we need to gel as a team straight away.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

As there is not much chance to get De Ketelaere, why do not we take a try with Gibbs-White? I know, he's not from a fancy Austrian or Dutch club, but still.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
CheeznOnionPasty wrote: .....................I have 'some sympathy for Directors of Football/Heads of Recruitment, we fans expect them to deliver world beaters, who always perform instantly, with no failures, at the best price possible and to beat champions league clubs to their signatures - I have less sympathy for ours of course! :lol:
With every transfer into or out of the club the pressure on Jesse Marsch and The Board increases. All incoming players will be expected to hit the ground running and make the same sort of impact the Raphinha did from game one of the new season. Patience on the part of a lot of fans, and I dare say some on this forum :D , will be in short supply. With the increasing number of players we have brought in, and more expected perhaps, it's going to take time for JM to get all this to gel isn't it? :think: Time is a rare commodity in the Premier League
Expectations will be higher on Marsch as he has worked with many of these players previously, knows them, knows how they will fit into whichever system he uses, knows their strengths/weaknesses and personalities. He is the one who will have said he wants these particular players, so quite rightly the pressure will be on him that these transfers workout.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

Selby White wrote: I've said it before I have concerns about intigrating a lot of players into a very close nit squad would hate to have a dressing room with no spirit like Man Utd.
This is a great point, luckily we have a captain with a working brain and good social skills and other leader figures in the squad that seems to have different priorities than “me, me, me” unlike Man Utd… :lol: