Contracts expiring in 2014

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Contracts expiring in 2014

Post by USA for Leeds »

SiMamu wrote: I think Wootton has potential, he keeps on being played at RB recently and he's the only CB we have whose reasonably comfortable with it at his feet. He's looked decent at CB next to Pearce - not next to Lees though. No. No, no, no, no.
I wonder why they both look good next to Pearce, but not next to each other. Hmmmm....
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

USA for Leeds wrote:
SiMamu wrote: I think Wootton has potential, he keeps on being played at RB recently and he's the only CB we have whose reasonably comfortable with it at his feet. He's looked decent at CB next to Pearce - not next to Lees though. No. No, no, no, no.
I wonder why they both look good next to Pearce, but not next to each other. Hmmmm....
Lees and Pearce doesn't work as a partnership either. Lees worked well(-ish) with Tate and Peltier though. One who organised him and one who covered whatever went in behind him.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

SiMamu wrote:
USA for Leeds wrote:
Lees and Pearce doesn't work as a partnership either. Lees worked well(-ish) with Tate and Peltier though. One who organised him and one who covered whatever went in behind him.
You missed my point, mate. If Pearce is the common denominator, then obviously he's the one making the other two look good. Pearce is the only defender we have who is quality. EDIT: Also Byram. He's hurt so much I forget about him.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

USA for Leeds wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
USA for Leeds wrote:
You missed my point, mate. If Pearce is the common denominator, then obviously he's the one making the other two look good. Pearce is the only defender we have who is quality. EDIT: Also Byram. He's hurt so much I forget about him.
I thought Pearce continuing as a CB was a given. Sorry, I meant going back to a Wootton-Pearce CB partnership :D.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Good article, that :thumbup:

I especially like the point Cellino's making about the fact that the same players will play differently depending on who they're trying to impress.
It's a bit like the infamous new manager syndrome or even that sometimes when the boss gets the boot and the club is actually managerless, the team will still register their first win in weeks, mainly because they're happy the old guy has gone.
Leeds United players out of contract:

2014 - Jamie Ashdown, Alex Cairns, Danny Pugh, Adam Drury, Michael Brown, El-Hadji Diouf, Paul Green, Gboly Ariyibi, Luke Varney.

2015 - Paddy Kenny, Aidan White, Stephen Warnock, Lee Peltier, Zac Thompson, Marius Zaliukas, Rodolph Austin, Michael Tonge, David Norris, Noel Hunt, Matt Smith, Dominic Poleon.

2016 - Tom Lees, Jason Pearce, Scott Wootton, Steve Morison, Sam Byram, Luke Murphy, Chris Dawson.

2017 - Ross McCormack, Alex Mowatt, Cameron Stewart.
I still think of the players out of contract this summer we could offer Pugh and Green performance- and appearance-related contracts. Given that they're both in their thirties the likely offers they'll receive will be from other Championship clubs and sides in League One I think they might go for it and then be inclined to work harder for the shirt.
What have we got to lose given they'll be leaving anyway ??
I think Pugh's a good player for us and Green's quite useful.

Not fussed about any of the others this summer, though.
Austin91
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Austin91 »

Pughs put in a good shift a couple of times this season, and i agree hes definitly worth trying to keep on even in a bit part capacity, not sure about Green but i suppose it gives us an option. I also think Ariyibi is worth keeping. Hes hasn't shown us much yet, but youth is always worth keeping around. Even if it was just on a season-long deal to see if he can push for the first team. He might not have lit the world alight already but some youngsters go from zero to hero within a couple of games and would much rather see him in a Leeds shirt doing that, and considering hes a winger, something we always say we're crying out for, i cannot see the harm.

Also think its important to start looking to 2015 exitees and possibly start extending players contracts this summer i.e Smith, Austin, Poleon. Its only going to get harder if we wait till mid-season and we might be able to capitalise on the good feeling around the club at the moment and sign them up on better deals.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Austin91 wrote:Pughs put in a good shift a couple of times this season, and i agree hes definitly worth trying to keep on even in a bit part capacity, not sure about Green but i suppose it gives us an option. I also think Ariyibi is worth keeping. Hes hasn't shown us much yet, but youth is always worth keeping around. Even if it was just on a season-long deal to see if he can push for the first team. He might not have lit the world alight already but some youngsters go from zero to hero within a couple of games and would much rather see him in a Leeds shirt doing that, and considering hes a winger, something we always say we're crying out for, i cannot see the harm.

Also think its important to start looking to 2015 exitees and possibly start extending players contracts this summer i.e Smith, Austin, Poleon. Its only going to get harder if we wait till mid-season and we might be able to capitalise on the good feeling around the club at the moment and sign them up on better deals.
To be fair, McDermott showed some great forward thinking when he renewed McCormack's contract last summer, as his original deal was set to expire at the end of next season - meaning, if we have to sell him in the summer, we wouldn't be able to get his full value, as otherwise we risked losing him for nothing the following summer.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I don't think anyone didn't want BM to succeed, I was extremely pleased when we got him as manager and yes he's had it tough, but the standard of football he's presided over has been woeful and he has had some positives, but 99% of managers in his position would have been sacked by now. If Cellino sacks him, that's fine by me, if Cellino gives him a chance and keeps him on, then I'm ok with that as well, I think this is an easy situation for Cellino, he can basically do what he likes with BM and us the fans won't be that bothered.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Just think, Hunt is going to cost the club over £1m before we can move him on. Don't think he will be much in demand in the transfer market either.
I once played against Don Revie.