Contracts expiring in 2014

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Contracts expiring in 2014

Post by SiMamu »

Mellor wrote:
Aces wrote:I think your right Mellor, but myself I was inwardly comparing Diouf to the poor set of players we have now, compared to them he is a world beater.
Interested to see where he goes next. I suspect lufc will be his late career peak.
Does anyone else remember when that club in Guinea claimed they'd signed him in the summer - it was hilarious.
I expect he'll move out to the Middle East for one final big payday.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
alwaysleeds
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by alwaysleeds »

I understand that he's not popular for many of us, at least what I've read here on this forum. But he could be just the asset we need to go back to Premier League. He's an artist and therefore dependent to his temper. I've seen several of these kind of players through the years. They can be really abysmal the one time, and brilliant the next. Some of these players can do more with the ball, than most of the others - and they have an overview of the play that can be valuable to the team. I've seen him play on some occations, therefore I don't agree with some of you.

At least two more years in him, I can assure. And it could have been with us. But as long as he feels lack of confidence from McDermott and even some of the fans, then he can be an encumbrance.

(Sorry for my English, but I hope you understand what I try to explain) :)
Last edited by alwaysleeds on 17 Apr 2014, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

alwaysleeds wrote:I understand that he's not popular for many of us, at least what I've read here on this forum. But he could be just the asset we need to go back to Premier League. He's an artist and therefore dependent to his temper. I've seen several of these kind of players through the years. They can be really abysmal the one time, and brilliant the next. Some of these players can do more with the ball, than most of the others - and they have an overview of the play that can be valuable to the team. I've seen him play on some occations, therefore I don't agree with some of you.

At least two more years in him, I can assure. And it could have been with us. But as long as he feels lack of confidence from McDermott and even some of the fans, than he can be an encumbrance.

(Sorry for my English, but I hope you understand what I try to explain) :)
Your absolutely right, another example of mismanagent by BMc, in my view. Needs to be used or discarded though.
NikosAGr1985
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by NikosAGr1985 »

It is not always an age thing. At 33 or more we can think of many examples of players that had good seasons. Experience is priceless if matched with quality.
However, natural fitness and the will to play and train (ie the right mentality towards the sport) is what defines it all in the end.

Sadly Diouf doesn't appear to have or even care about the latter. Drop him IMO ASAP.

P.S. In any case, I think we crave for experienced quality players. Especially a quality forward with the ability to come deep and provide a link between midfield and attack. Del Piero is nearing 40 quickly and plays in Australia. Would any of our fans there care to inform us about his condition/form?
Also Marco Di Vaio, a 37 year old favorite of mine plays in MLS.

Even if they couldn't play for 90 mins every week, if they can give us that extra bit of flair, creativity and some goals too it would be great to have someone like them, PROVIDED THEY HAVE THE WILL AND FITNESS STATUS TO CONTINUE PLAYING.
Massimo Cellino: "I 've bought garbage players with the McCormack money".
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I think the only way we could possibly keep Diouf would be to set him a fitness regime, also a targeted weight, he's really porky and at the start of next season if he's hit both targets, give him a 3 month contract with a view to extending it, if his performances are up to scratch. He's let himself down and also let us the fans down.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

Mellor wrote:
Aces wrote:I think your right Mellor, but myself I was inwardly comparing Diouf to the poor set of players we have now, compared to them he is a world beater.
Interested to see where he goes next. I suspect lufc will be his late career peak.
wouldn't be surprised if he swanned off to America or Australia for one last pay day, or go play for a small African club
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP · 1h
From McDermott's presser, says he and Cellino will begin discussing the futures of players at #lufc next week.
Need to get Charlie Taylor tied down to a new deal, only has two months left on his current one.
Also, seems as if Cellino's sticking with McDermott, for the summer at least.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

SiMamu wrote:
Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP · 1h
From McDermott's presser, says he and Cellino will begin discussing the futures of players at #lufc next week.
Need to get Charlie Taylor tied down to a new deal, only has two months left on his current one.
Also, seems as if Cellino's sticking with McDermott, for the summer at least.
I'm comfortable with BM carrying on as manager, I was pleased when he took over, I like how he conducts himself. I haven't fully agreed with his team choice, or tactics, but he did have us close to the play offs before the problems started at the end of January and I would like to see how he fares with new better players in and a settled side and club,
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Diouf has, I believe, relied on innate talent and fitness without needing to maintain fitness all year round. When he came back from his break in Africa he probably expected to be able to do what he has previously and quickly top up his fitness to get back in form and into a team, but BM saw it as the wrong attitude and kept him out. Diouf hasn't responded by making himself fit so that Brian has to pick him but just gone the opposite way. Some players respond to adversity and it makes them determined to prove people wrong, some just crumple and cave in.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I think Diouf resigned himself some months ago to the fact he's done at Leeds, but he just might squeeze another contract out somewhere else.