Squad discussion - keep or sell?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Which playerswould you keep and who would you like and .

Post by SiMamu »

mapperleywhite wrote:Somewhere on here I saw the suggestion that we should cash in on McCormack.

Sorry but I can't agree with that. His goals are the reason we've not been relegated this season. When you've got a proven goalscorer at any level you hang on to them. I mean just think if he'd gone to Boro last August. Can we give GFH some credit for that?

I do go along with those who have talked about being underwhelmed by the current squad, especially in the context of some of the players Leeds has been graced with historically, even in recent times. I don't think we'll see Green, Morison, Varney or Peltier in a Leeds shirt again, nor Diouf.

But beyond that the movement of players out will be limited to five maximum, I'd say. Putting together a squad is a process of evolution rather than revolution. Remember Kevin Blackwell - I think - starting with Gary Kelly (??) as the only professional on the books at the beginning of one season. And that was a precursor to a spiral into the third tier.

Think we'll see some more 'tracksuit moments' from McD too.....
This squad was 6th at Christmas. Clearly it has more potential then it's shown recently. We just need a bit more quality and better tactics, as well as a stronger mentality. I don't think we will see, or need, wholesale changes or clearouts - Cellino has also pointed out that we were in the playoffs at Xmas.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

I've mentioned this before but points gaps extend as the season progresses (a 3 point gap after 12 games is 12 points after 46) and until Xmas most clubs are bunched together. In addition the best teams get stronger as the season progresses so the gap increases still further.

At no time this year has the team played consistently well, infact at no time this season has the team played consistently well for a full game. We have been shocking. Blues was a good result and enjoyable because of that but we were wide open that game and could easily have conceded as many as we scored. Two seasons on the bounce now with zero league excitement. Warnock left us with an incredibly ordinary squad - he lost our two best and replaced with worse but at least his side managed decent cup games. This year Rochdale passed us to death. BM is extremely lucky to have kept his job, only the chicken and the egg question has saved him.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Aces wrote:Wickham scored twice against Man city last night, he took his second really well and got in a great position for the first, Sunderland should have won, but for a howler by Mannone. Wish we could get him on a permanent contract next year, but I doubt it, on loan would do as well.

I had already started to think of him as a Leeds player.

I don't know why people suggest selling McCormack - we did it with Beckford and Beccio - what is the point of selling your main goal scorer?

Just for sentiment's sake and the fact that he is one of my all time favourite Leeds players, it would be nice to see Ian Harte return to add his wealth of experience to the defence.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

We didn't sell Beckford, he chose the Prem. Infact we could have sold him but chose to retain him and let him go on a free at the end of his contract. Bates sanctioned this. Larry chose to do it. We were promoted. Job done.

Becchio - did he fall or was he pushed. Still not sure.

Thing about Ross is simple, he has to play in a two, with a foil. Great but limiting? Hence the Wickham debate. Either or but not both?
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

If we sell McCormack I'd like to replace him with a striker like Wickham/Grabban, someone who can lead the line in a 4-3-3.
I don't want us to sell McCormack, by any stretch of the imagination, but I could see it happening if we get a good bid (I'm talking £5m+) or he forces a move, as he's in his prime and the window for a shot at the big time is soon going to close and isn't looking likely in the near future at Leeds United (waiting till 2016 and all that).
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

Mellor wrote:I've mentioned this before but points gaps extend as the season progresses (a 3 point gap after 12 games is 12 points after 46) and until Xmas most clubs are bunched together. In addition the best teams get stronger as the season progresses so the gap increases still further.

At no time this year has the team played consistently well, infact at no time this season has the team played consistently well for a full game. We have been shocking. Blues was a good result and enjoyable because of that but we were wide open that game and could easily have conceded as many as we scored. Two seasons on the bounce now with zero league excitement. Warnock left us with an incredibly ordinary squad - he lost our two best and replaced with worse but at least his side managed decent cup games. This year Rochdale passed us to death. BM is extremely lucky to have kept his job, only the chicken and the egg question has saved him.
Couldn't agree more mate

How can our fans defend McDermott after what has been an atrocious season ?

What do our fans see when the attend matches ?

I missed one of few games this season yesterday due to illness, yes a good three points but yet another woeful game apart from one quality moment from McCormack

Tbh I'll be glad when the season is over, a sheer waste of time & money !
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

[quote="Mellor"]We didn't sell Beckford, he chose the Prem. Infact we could have sold him but chose to retain him and let him go on a free at the end of his contract. Bates sanctioned this. Larry chose to do it. We were promoted. Job done.

I stand corrected, all these comings and goings!
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

Rebuilding the entire squad would be a disaster. Football is, in many ways, art. Players need to play together to play well.

Keep
McCormack
Murphy
Smith
Byram
Mowatt
Pearce
The kids

Keep, unless we get a great offer
Lees
Stewart
Wootton
Austin
Poleon

The rest can go.

Priorities of new signings:
Right wing
Central midfield
Goalie
Striker
Center back
Left back
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I almost entirely agree with you, USA for Leeds, except about needing a new left back. Stephen Warnock is a solid option and we have Charlie Taylor coming through (plus Aidy White), whose had a very good loan spell at Fleetwood (who are three points off automatic promotion to League 1). I think Taylor should be blooded into the starting XI, as Warnock's understudy - with the idea that Taylor becomes first choice in the 15/16 season.

Also, it seems very likely that we're going to sign Daniel Bentley from Southend, but it also seems that Paddy Kenny's been frozen out and McDermott may look to move him on. If we are able to sell Kenny, I'd like to resign Ashdown on a one year deal, as he's a good experienced 2nd choice keeper, who looked competent when called upon in cup games last season.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Spot on Si and USA :thumbup:

It's the spine that needs the most work :

GK - confident and shouty type like Schmeichel

DC - a commanding organiser like Nayls

DMC - an experienced campaigner in the Strachan mold, personality-wise

MC - a box-to-box all rounder like Lee Bowyer

FC - a target man like Becchio

As for the other positions, I'd agree we still need quality out wide - another Lennon would be nice.

I know we'll never be able to get that level of quality at the moment, but players with potential to be those types would be a start.
We should either be looking down and plucking talent from around us and L1 and 2, or looking to take on some quality players from the Prem that still have not just the legs but the heart and desire to make an Indian summer for themselves at Leeds United.
Gareth Barry would be wonderful, but he wants to join Everton permanently so he's out, but someone like that ...