2013/14 - Transfer rumours and squad discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: 2013/14 - Transfer rumours and squad discussions

Post by jjrgreeney »

SiMamu wrote:
Charian wrote:Did Stearman play much as Wolves got punted down the 2 leagues? I think it was more Berra and Johnson, or can he play full back? I hope we keep Zaliukas, I think he has done enough to get a contract for next season. I feel like Pearce and Lees have a habbit of disaster days on occasion, hence quite a few beatings this year, although I rate them individually. Just feel like Zaliukas is a calming influence. And take a punt on Mackay-Steven from Dundee Utd, someone will, that boy could be a wonderful investment for a club, why not us. Look what Snoddy did when we gambled :thumbup:
He can play RB too.
Zaliukas had his contract renewed in December for an additional year - then his form dropped.
Has to be said I do rate Zaliukas, he has had 1 or 2 bad games but in comparison to the rest of the squad I think its fair he gets a chance, he is good for the aerial battle and dominant in the tackle, early doors this season people were crying out for him to take the armband off Austin.
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

jjrgreeney wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
Charian wrote:Did Stearman play much as Wolves got punted down the 2 leagues? I think it was more Berra and Johnson, or can he play full back? I hope we keep Zaliukas, I think he has done enough to get a contract for next season. I feel like Pearce and Lees have a habbit of disaster days on occasion, hence quite a few beatings this year, although I rate them individually. Just feel like Zaliukas is a calming influence. And take a punt on Mackay-Steven from Dundee Utd, someone will, that boy could be a wonderful investment for a club, why not us. Look what Snoddy did when we gambled :thumbup:
He can play RB too.
Zaliukas had his contract renewed in December for an additional year - then his form dropped.
Has to be said I do rate Zaliukas, he has had 1 or 2 bad games but in comparison to the rest of the squad I think its fair he gets a chance, he is good for the aerial battle and dominant in the tackle, early doors this season people were crying out for him to take the armband off Austin.
Zaliukas had a decent game against Blackpool - hopefully he'll be back on form for the last few games
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Has Diouf gone yet? Teams must be falling over themselves to sign an over weight, controversial, jogging goal machine.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Nic wrote:
jjrgreeney wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
He can play RB too.
Has to be said I do rate Zaliukas, he has had 1 or 2 bad games but in comparison to the rest of the squad I think its. fair he gets a chance, he is good for the aerial battle and dominant in the tackle, early doors this season people were crying out for him to take the armband off Austin.
Zaliukas had a decent game against Blackpool - hopefully he'll be back on form for the last few games
I'm not convinced about Zaliukas. In his first few games for us I grant you he looked a class player, a sort of Paul Madeley Ross Royce of a player. Then he had a poor game against Rochdale and then a real shocker at Wednesday where I actually had him down as culpable(not necessarily on his own but at least involved) in all six goals! (Incidentally have a read of his Wiki bio for Leeds....it mentions those Wednesday errors!!!!) He then came back in for just one game against Reading and again we got battered. Then we next saw him in the Blackpool game. Very early in the game he swept a pass across to Tom Lees without even looking who might be closing Tom down and we very nearly got caught. He appears to no longer have any awareness of what is going on around him (that was not his only faux pas in that game. So, for me he is a worry. Another player who plays OK, well even, and then as soon as we tie him down into a longer contract he falls apart! I know we have no idea what goes on but to me that suggests he's now too comfortable.
Charian
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Charian »

dlw10 wrote:
I'm not convinced about Zaliukas. In his first few games for us I grant you he looked a class player, a sort of Paul Madeley Ross Royce of a player. Then he had a poor game against Rochdale and then a real shocker at Wednesday where I actually had him down as culpable(not necessarily on his own but at least involved) in all six goals! (Incidentally have a read of his Wiki bio for Leeds....it mentions those Wednesday errors!!!!) He then came back in for just one game against Reading and again we got battered. Then we next saw him in the Blackpool game. Very early in the game he swept a pass across to Tom Lees without even looking who might be closing Tom down and we very nearly got caught. He appears to no longer have any awareness of what is going on around him (that was not his only faux pas in that game. So, for me he is a worry. Another player who plays OK, well even, and then as soon as we tie him down into a longer contract he falls apart! I know we have no idea what goes on but to me that suggests he's now too comfortable.
Have to say I've watched Zaliukas for a few years at Hearts, on a long term deal, and he was consistently their best performer. I think if we're to look at the players who have under performed this season Zaliukas would be further down the list than the majority. I think Lees and Pearce have had terrible second halfs of the season. I hear what your saying, and see why you say it, I just don't agree. But that's what forums are about, opinions. I think we should hang on to him for another season and see how he gets on.
Austin91
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Austin91 »

I do rate Zaliukas, what about Wooten though? I really rate it him and can't understand why he hasnt been given a proper run out in the team. He has a cooler head then Lees and everytime ive seen him play hes got good positioning and looks more solid aswell
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Austin91 wrote:I do rate Zaliukas, what about Wooten though? I really rate it him and can't understand why he hasnt been given a proper run out in the team. He has a cooler head then Lees and everytime ive seen him play hes got good positioning and looks more solid aswell
BM does seem to play him out of position a lot, so not sure we see the best. On the wing he doesn't push up, although there are times when he is released and runs up the wing and crosses the ball well, so maybe something to work on? I do think we have some good defensive players, just that there needs to be some work to get a coherent unit.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Nic wrote:
Austin91 wrote:I do rate Zaliukas, what about Wooten though? I really rate it him and can't understand why he hasnt been given a proper run out in the team. He has a cooler head then Lees and everytime ive seen him play hes got good positioning and looks more solid aswell
BM does seem to play him out of position a lot, so not sure we see the best. On the wing he doesn't push up, although there are times when he is released and runs up the wing and crosses the ball well, so maybe something to work on? I do think we have some good defensive players, just that there needs to be some work to get a coherent unit.
I agree, I've been calling for a defensive coach to be hired.
I also agree about Wootton, him and Pearce looked a promising partnership in September, but it got broken up.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

Pearce was the class of the defense. When he went out, we struggled. When he was in, he made his central defense partner look good. He's definitely worth keeping. Lees was the best of the others and worth keeping. As for Wootton and Zaliukas, both had their moments, good and bad. Either could go and I wouldn't mind. What we need most is to add another CB as good or better than Pearce. I'm not going to fuss over who goes, as long as it's not Pearce.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

USA for Leeds wrote:Pearce was the class of the defense. When he went out, we struggled. When he was in, he made his central defense partner look good. He's definitely worth keeping. Lees was the best of the others and worth keeping. As for Wootton and Zaliukas, both had their moments, good and bad. Either could go and I wouldn't mind. What we need most is to add another CB as good or better than Pearce. I'm not going to fuss over who goes, as long as it's not Pearce.
Pearce seems to have dropped off a bit since becoming a dad - probably the sleepless nights.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."