2013/14 - Transfer rumours and squad discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: 2013/14 - Transfer rumours and squad discussions

Post by SG90 »

Absolute zero chance of the Cagliari players going to us. Maybe if we get promoted they may come, but it's laughable that anyone could believe they'll be paying Championship football next season.

As for McCormack and Smith, no chance. Ross is worth more than £5.5m on his own (if Rhodes is worth £10m, then Ross certainly is) and Smith's only going to get better next season, so we'd be daft to offload him.

I really think we need a completely new midfield. This season has shown a lack of pace, lack of creativity and loss of ball retention leading to goals - Forest's first for example. We need a tall, good tackler protecting the defence, creative midfielders on both flanks, and a flair and pacey type in the centre supporting the strikers.

Defensively, I see Sean St Ledger is a free agent this summer and I like the look of Craig Dawson at WBA, as well as the rumours of Stearman coming in. I think they would be a good improvement and add competition for places. Although someone will probably have to go, but not sure who.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

SG90 wrote:Absolute zero chance of the Cagliari players going to us. Maybe if we get promoted they may come, but it's laughable that anyone could believe they'll be paying Championship football next season.

As for McCormack and Smith, no chance. Ross is worth more than £5.5m on his own (if Rhodes is worth £10m, then Ross certainly is) and Smith's only going to get better next season, so we'd be daft to offload him.
I disagree on both counts.

1. Money talks re the calgari players, I would be shocked if at least one player isn't signed from them over the next twelve months.

2. Rhodes may not be a better player but is worth more than Rmc given his age and goal return every year.

3. Smith whilst valuable, may be sacrificed like Andy Carroll, when we get a new manager, given his presence on the field of play could dictate our style of play. I am not surprised pulis sees smith as an option and worth a punt, and there could be a school of thought that the lad is worth a place on anybody's bench.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

isrodger wrote: 1. Money talks re the calgari players, I would be shocked if at least one player isn't signed from them over the next twelve months.

2. Rhodes may not be a better player but is worth more than Rmc given his age and goal return every year.
I agree somewhat on both counts. Can definitely see some of the Cagliari players quite eager to turn up here. The increase in exposure alone, and potential competitiveness of the football should be quite easy to sell to them, and they will probably be offered an increase in pay too.

Rhodes v McCormack is not a like for like comparison. Saying McCormack is worth as much as him because he's had a fantastic season now is putting it well out of context. He's had 2, maybe 3 good seasons in terms of goal returns, across several years at Cardiff and Leeds, and is 27. Rhodes was 22 when he moved to Blackburn (for what everyone thought was an exaggerated fee anyway at the time), and had 3 consistent seasons at Huddersfield then. He's followed it up with two more solid scoring seasons and is a more versatile player than McC. Doubt we will have a bigger bid than what was offered for Ross in January.
Charian
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Charian »

SG90 wrote:Absolute zero chance of the Cagliari players going to us. Maybe if we get promoted they may come, but it's laughable that anyone could believe they'll be paying Championship football next season.

I really think we need a completely new midfield. This season has shown a lack of pace, lack of creativity and loss of ball retention leading to goals - Forest's first for example. We need a tall, good tackler protecting the defence, creative midfielders on both flanks, and a flair and pacey type in the centre supporting the strikers.

Defensively, I see Sean St Ledger is a free agent this summer and I like the look of Craig Dawson at WBA, as well as the rumours of Stearman coming in. I think they would be a good improvement and add competition for places. Although someone will probably have to go, but not sure who.
Remember within a few hours of Cellinos first attempt at a takeover we had a Caglari player signed (all be it void) so I think that shows more than a zero chance anyway. Ross McCormack is not worth £10 million in my opinion. I think we would be very very lucky to get over £6 million for him. Rhodes is young, has scored 25+ more than one season and is already a capped international. (And was at the time of purchase)

I do agree we lack a few creative players on the wings. Stewart has potential I think, but I would love to see us get in Matt Ritchie from Bournemouth. Someone along those lines, quick and skilful but can cross the ball. A few years back we had Snoddy and Gradel..... :shock: I think any of the centre halfs would struggle to argue they had a decent season
Charian

Post by Charian »

Bogdan wrote:
isrodger wrote: 1. Money talks re the calgari players, I would be shocked if at least one player isn't signed from them over the next twelve months.

I agree somewhat on both counts. Can definitely see some of the Cagliari players quite eager to turn up here. The increase in exposure alone, and potential competitiveness of the football should be quite easy to sell to them, and they will probably be offered an increase in pay too.

Rhodes v McCormack is not a like for like comparison. Saying McCormack is worth as much as him because he's had a fantastic season now is putting it well out of context. He's had 2, maybe 3 good seasons in terms of goal returns, across several years at Cardiff and Leeds, and is 27. Rhodes was 22 when he moved to Blackburn (for what everyone thought was an exaggerated fee anyway at the time), and had 3 consistent seasons at Huddersfield then. He's followed it up with two more solid scoring seasons and is a more versatile player than McC. Doubt we will have a bigger bid than what was offered for Ross in January.

Do you think Rhodes is more versatile? I'd say completely the opposite. Rhodes is a sniper in front of goal, and scores all different types. But tell him he's playing on the wings, behind the strikers or in centre mid he would probably collapse. I think McCormack is one of the most versatile players on the squad. Everything else I agree with though :thumbup: as you will see in my comment above
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Yeah, fair point, I meant versatility in terms of physical attributes and the type of finishing he can deliver upfront, as you point out yourself. McCormack playing everywhere has come from necessity, he can assist a striking partner too, but as a pure forward Rhodes must seem like more of a goal guarantee to most clubs.
Charian

Post by Charian »

Bogdan wrote:Yeah, fair point, I meant versatility in terms of physical attributes and the type of finishing he can deliver upfront, as you point out yourself. McCormack playing everywhere has come from necessity, he can assist a striking partner too, but as a pure forward Rhodes must seem like more of a goal guarantee to most clubs.
Yes 100%. I think Rhodes would score 10/15 PL goals playing in a mid table team. I don't think McCormack would get that many. I think Rhodes will get picked up by a PL team in the next year or so. I think McCormack would be a squad player for most PL teams to.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

I actually believe Rhodes and Le fondra are probably more Like for like. Rhodes is a bit of an enigma like most goalscorers - could see him not getting games for a premiership outfit like west ham as he doesn't contribute enough apart from his 20 goals a season!!!
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

isrodger wrote:I actually believe Rhodes and Le fondra are probably more Like for like. Rhodes is a bit of an enigma like most goalscorers - could see him not getting games for a premiership outfit like west ham as he doesn't contribute enough apart from his 20 goals a season!!!
Likewise with Beckford.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

SiMamu wrote:
isrodger wrote:I actually believe Rhodes and Le fondra are probably more Like for like. Rhodes is a bit of an enigma like most goalscorers - could see him not getting games for a premiership outfit like west ham as he doesn't contribute enough apart from his 20 goals a season!!!
Likewise with Beckford.

Actually beckford probably has another attribute - pace that stretches defences - he makes centre halves play on the back foot. Rhodes and Le fondra are really just finishers -good ones at that. You could imagine them getting 30 goals a season at arsenal, but not getting a game at palace.