2013/14 - Transfer rumours and squad discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: 2013/14 - Transfer rumours and squad discussions

Post by SG90 »

Charian wrote:Remember within a few hours of Cellinos first attempt at a takeover we had a Caglari player signed (all be it void) so I think that shows more than a zero chance anyway. Ross McCormack is not worth £10 million in my opinion. I think we would be very very lucky to get over £6 million for him. Rhodes is young, has scored 25+ more than one season and is already a capped international. (And was at the time of purchase)

I do agree we lack a few creative players on the wings. Stewart has potential I think, but I would love to see us get in Matt Ritchie from Bournemouth. Someone along those lines, quick and skilful but can cross the ball. A few years back we had Snoddy and Gradel..... :shock: I think any of the centre halfs would struggle to argue they had a decent season
Those players were complete unknowns though, Tabanelli and someone else. These 'rumours' include an Italy WC defender who is wanted by Juventus and Milan amongst others and a Colombian WC winger wanted by Barcelona and worth £15m, but yeah I'm sure they'll be playing Championship football next season. It's just a con to get people to buy season tickets.

I agree about Matt Ritchie, he would be a quality signing. I think Norwood from the Dogs would be a great player to link with Murphy, as he is a more defensive minded player, but can be a box to box type as well. Although they say he goes anonymous a few times in games.
SG90

Post by SG90 »

Bogdan wrote: Rhodes v McCormack is not a like for like comparison. Saying McCormack is worth as much as him because he's had a fantastic season now is putting it well out of context. He's had 2, maybe 3 good seasons in terms of goal returns, across several years at Cardiff and Leeds, and is 27. Rhodes was 22 when he moved to Blackburn (for what everyone thought was an exaggerated fee anyway at the time), and had 3 consistent seasons at Huddersfield then. He's followed it up with two more solid scoring seasons and is a more versatile player than McC. Doubt we will have a bigger bid than what was offered for Ross in January.
I disagree, Rhodes is more of a fox in the box type finisher, but McCormack is an all rounder. Not just goals, but plenty of assists too and his goals are more creative than Rhodes' imo (Yeovil away for example) and he can also take free kicks. For me he's worth 30m, as that's the price for promotion. If we sell him, then we're going to need to find not just a goalscorer, but a matchwinner too and I can't say anyone other than McC in the current squad is.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

SG90 wrote:
Charian wrote:Remember within a few hours of Cellinos first attempt at a takeover we had a Caglari player signed (all be it void) so I think that shows more than a zero chance anyway. Ross McCormack is not worth £10 million in my opinion. I think we would be very very lucky to get over £6 million for him. Rhodes is young, has scored 25+ more than one season and is already a capped international. (And was at the time of purchase)

I do agree we lack a few creative players on the wings. Stewart has potential I think, but I would love to see us get in Matt Ritchie from Bournemouth. Someone along those lines, quick and skilful but can cross the ball. A few years back we had Snoddy and Gradel..... :shock: I think any of the centre halfs would struggle to argue they had a decent season
Those players were complete unknowns though, Tabanelli and someone else. These 'rumours' include an Italy WC defender who is wanted by Juventus and Milan amongst others and a Colombian WC winger wanted by Barcelona and worth £15m, but yeah I'm sure they'll be playing Championship football next season. It's just a con to get people to buy season tickets.

I agree about Matt Ritchie, he would be a quality signing. I think Norwood from the Dogs would be a great player to link with Murphy, as he is a more defensive minded player, but can be a box to box type as well. Although they say he goes anonymous a few times in games.
Tabanelli and Danilo Avelar.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Viduka95
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Viduka95 »

SiMamu wrote:Tabanelli and Danilo Avelar.
I don't think Tabanelli would be much better than some of our current midfielders, however Avelar would be a brilliant signing for us and an excellent replacement for Warnock.
@MrSkorecki Twitter
LEEDS, LEEDS, LEEDS!
Charian
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Charian »

SG90 wrote:

Yeh fair enough, no one knew them, but I was responding to the comment that there was zero chance of any Cagliari players coming to us. I think that proved that there is a chance, it might not be there top players, but there is a gap between serie a and the championship, and I think we are almost certain to get a few loan players in from Cagliari.

Yeh Norwood looks a good player :thumbup:
MartinC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by MartinC »

SG90 wrote:We need a tall, good tackler protecting the defence, creative midfielders on both flanks, and a flair and pacey type in the centre supporting the strikers.
To be fair so does just about every club in the Premiership as well :D

A lot depends on who the manager is and what formation and system he wants to play but lets assume its some variation of 4-4-2 I think Murphy has potential and is worth sticking with as a box to box type of player. Alongside him in the middle though we desperately need someone who is creative and who does his best work in possession. Out wide we need two new signings - they may be more inside forwards than true wingers but that depends on the system again - either way we have no one who gives us real attacking options from out wide (I see Byram as a right back). Add in a left back, a second striker who has pace and can threaten to run behind a defence, a goalkeeper and a centre half with some height and pace.

Thats 7 new starters out of 11. Tall order in one summer.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I think 7 will be roughly the amount that comes in, there's a lot of deadwood going out, at least 7 so expect a lot of activity in the transfer market, I can't wait to see it all unfold, exciting times ahead, at long last.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

Aces wrote:I think 7 will be roughly the amount that comes in, there's a lot of deadwood going out, at least 7 so expect a lot of activity in the transfer market, I can't wait to see it all unfold, exciting times ahead, at long last.

maybe even a couple more as well, I can see us bringing in a lot of new players who will mainly be starts dropping some of our current starters to the bench and getting rid of the dead wood and then giving some of the younger lads a chance here and there which I do not mind, not to mention we have already agreed to bring in Robbie Mcdaid at the end of the season the young Irish lad so not too sure what our plans for him will be but im hearing a lot of good noises.
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
MartinC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by MartinC »

Aces wrote:I think 7 will be roughly the amount that comes in, there's a lot of deadwood going out, at least 7 so expect a lot of activity in the transfer market, I can't wait to see it all unfold, exciting times ahead, at long last.
I can see us bringing more than 7 players in. But getting 7 new quality players who go into your starting 11 and improve it is more of a trick!
SG90

Post by SG90 »

Charian wrote:Yeh fair enough, no one knew them, but I was responding to the comment that there was zero chance of any Cagliari players coming to us. I think that proved that there is a chance, it might not be there top players, but there is a gap between serie a and the championship, and I think we are almost certain to get a few loan players in from Cagliari.

Yeh Norwood looks a good player :thumbup:
Yeah sorry, I just meant those players that were specifically being rumoured from Cagliari had zero chance of joining us, that's not to say we couldn't get a couple of players in from them. But I hope it wouldn't just be for the sake of it and they would improve the team. But the days of 'doing a Watford' and loaning an entire team are over, as the FL shut down that particular loophole.