2014/15 Transfer rumours in and out

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: 2014/15 Transfer rumours in and out

Post by Mellor »

dangermouse wrote:
Aces wrote:
dangermouse wrote:We need to improve our defending yet we sacked Richard Naylor from our coaching staff a few weeks ago.
He wasn't that good a defender, so who's to say he would be that good as a defensive coach?
Naylor arrived at Leeds at the end of his career and did a decent job until his legs went. In his prime he was a very good defender. I'd imagine his experience as a captain and centre half for 15 years and the coaching experience he has since would have made him a strong candidate for a defensive coach. Certainly better than what we have now.
As you say, Naylor stopped the defensive rot when Larry signed him and the whole thing was spiralling out of control under Mac. He gave us one (and a bit?) truly great season as defender and captain before his legs went. We have no one remotely as good now. Kis of course was even better until injury ended it for the bloke. No idea about their coaching abilities but both will be remembered with gratitude in our house. Oh for either of them in their pomp just now.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

No doubt kisnorbo and Naylor were the best centre halves we have had in recent times. It's a pity we only got them at the end of their careers. I think as a centre half you really only reach your potential after years of experience. I think Pearce , Lees and Wooton all have potential, but we need a strong, steady experienced leader in there alongside one or two of the others.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

dangermouse wrote:
Aces wrote:
dangermouse wrote:We need to improve our defending yet we sacked Richard Naylor from our coaching staff a few weeks ago.
He wasn't that good a defender, so who's to say he would be that good as a defensive coach?
Naylor arrived at Leeds at the end of his career and did a decent job until his legs went. In his prime he was a very good defender. I'd imagine his experience as a captain and centre half for 15 years and the coaching experience he has since would have made him a strong candidate for a defensive coach. Certainly better than what we have now.
To be fair do any of us know how good Naylor is, eems a great bloke and did a decent job as a player, is also a Leeds fan but sometimes that may blind us. Look from the other direction and think what we would all say if we appointed someone as defensive coach who had a decent playing career mainly in the lower leagues and his only coaching experience was with youth teams.
He may one day prove to be a top coach or maybe not as Hockaday may just surprise us, only thing that will answer he question is the results and performace.
Personally i cant wait for the real stuff to start.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

dangermouse wrote:No doubt kisnorbo and Naylor were the best centre halves we have had in recent times. It's a pity we only got them at the end of their careers. I think as a centre half you really only reach your potential after years of experience. I think Pearce , Lees and Wooton all have potential, but we need a strong, steady experienced leader in there alongside one or two of the others.
Agree we need a good head/organiser at the back, it can even be the goalkeeper if he is vocal enough, just someone that keeps everyone in position and concentrating.
Think the fact we haven't a clear candidate for captain indicates we are very short of natural leaders.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

to be honest I do agree that coaching play a small part but our current personnel just aren't good enough at the back and a new CB is desperately needed IMO
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

There's no doubt Naylor was a 100% er. A nice bloke as well, a decent defender in his prime, but ..... Like has been said, nothing guarantees us that he would make a good defensive coach, last year we were very poor to say the least. He might turn out to be good, I hope so for him.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

jjrgreeney wrote:to be honest I do agree that coaching play a small part but our current personnel just aren't good enough at the back and a new CB is desperately needed IMO
I think this is a must mate, if we don't get a quality CB in, we will be conceding poor goals all season.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Latest news in the Yorkshire Post - Federico Viviani’s advisors will hold a last round of talks with Leeds United today in an attempt to salvage his move to Elland Road.

Representatives of the Roma midfielder plan to speak to the Championship club as planned, despite United owner Massimo Cellino calling off the transfer over the weekend.

Cellino said Viviani was “out” after three days of talks in Leeds last week failed to secure an agreement over his season-long loan from Serie A.

The 22-year-old flew home to Rome on Saturday believing a transfer to Elland Road was still a possibility, with Nicola Salerno – Cellino’s right-hand man –promising to continue negotiations today. Viviani’s camp indicated that the Italy Under-21 international wanted to use the weekend to make a final decision over his future with a number of Italian clubs interested in signing him, but Cellino said: “I’ve already decided. He is out.”

Giovanni Ferro, one of Viviani’s representatives, said he was “surprised” by Cellino’s comments, saying: “When we left, Mr Salerno told us that we could have more contact.” Asked if he thought the deal was dead, Ferro said: “I’ll talk with director Salerno again (today).”

Let's hope he still signs, we definitely need him.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

SG90 wrote:
SiMamu wrote:Zan Benedicic - on loan from AC Milan
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... -benedicic
Dr Joe Dobbs @DrDobbsLUFC · 2m
Leeds United have now signed AC Milan youngster Zan Benedicic on loan with option to buy. No wages to be paid. #lufc pic.twitter.com/Nl7hOlLg66
Please please tell me Sky Sports' "source" for this deal is Dr Bullsh*tter's tweet :)
Anyone know much about this kid? He sounds like the sort of player I wanted us to sign (think I used Knockaert as the example) to run at defenders through the middle, but hard to find a huge amount of information on him.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

@EmaGiulianelli: Robert Acquafresca, the new striker for Leeds http://t.co/4EKO3devlS

This fella is generally a believable tweeter. Another player I've never heard of. He's not on a hot streak just now though I hear.
Last edited by Mellor on 28 Jul 2014, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente