Hockaday - SACKED BY THE CLUB

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Hockaday?

Post by johnh »

Viduka95 wrote:The only way a manager like Lennon or Pullis will take the job with Cellino's track record of firing managers is if they were sure that they would rarely lose a match and with our current quality of players that isn't going to happen. Also I can only see a coach taking over not a manager, anyway he is still in charge so lets not act like he has been fired
It depends on the contract terms. With a cast-iron 3 year contract, I wouldn't have thought many managers would be bothered about being fired after 6 months, particularly if they were paid up like McDermott.
I once played against Don Revie.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

lufctillidie61 wrote:I know its early days yet, but I think Hockaday is out of his depth at Leeds. I think MC should make a move for Tony Pulis now he has become available. I can't bear another season of false hope, empty words and p*ss poor performances. Lets get a manager on board who has been there, worn the T shirt and done it. His record speaks volumes.
I suggest your feelings are based on preconceived perceptions of the mans ability rather than how he has performed in role. I didnt want him in, but he has performed no less admirably than the previous two incumbents. Give the fella a chance. I have not seen anything to suggest he will be a roaring success or failure yet.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

lufctillidie61 wrote:I know its early days yet, but I think Hockaday is out of his depth at Leeds. I think MC should make a move for Tony Pulis now he has become available. I can't bear another season of false hope, empty words and p*ss poor performances. Lets get a manager on board who has been there, worn the T shirt and done it. His record speaks volumes.
I agree with this sentiment although Mcallister would be my choice as I've said elsewhere. I don't think Pulis could work with Cellino as he would want control over transfers (as he clearly did at Palace where he jumped ship). Lennon has proved nothing in my book - Mickey Mouse could manage Celtic and still win trophies. The Hock seems like an honest guy but so am I - I wouldn't put myself up for it either (although I'd love to have a go!). Being a nice bloke isn't enough to get a team to the premier league and that's where we all want to be. Mcd was a nice guy too but look what happened there. Sorry David but I feel, barring some fabulous results in the next few games, I think the writing is probably on the wall - I'd be happy to be proved wrong but I felt the Hocks appointment was a mistake from day 1.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

phil62 wrote:
I agree with this sentiment although Mcallister would be my choice as I've said elsewhere. I don't think Pulis could work with Cellino as he would want control over transfers (as he clearly did at Palace where he jumped ship). Lennon has proved nothing in my book - Mickey Mouse could manage Celtic and still win trophies. The Hock seems like an honest guy but so am I - I wouldn't put myself up for it either (although I'd love to have a go!). Being a nice bloke isn't enough to get a team to the premier league and that's where we all want to be. Mcd was a nice guy too but look what happened there. Sorry David but I feel, barring some fabulous results in the next few games, I think the writing is probably on the wall - I'd be happy to be proved wrong but I felt the Hocks appointment was a mistake from day 1.
I'd be happy to give him more time, and to be fair, managing such a vast influx of new players, all of whom are individual, actual, human beings (which football fans often forget in the age of FM) who need to work together, must be pretty hard. I agree he was the wrong choice, and I'd definitely have preferred Eamonn Dolan from Reading (a much more humble chap), but working under Cellino's axe, with a totally new squad, must be an awful job.

All this being said, I can't understand how he can have got the tactics so wrong last night. For somebody who allegedly had teams playing the best football in 'the division', he seems tactically bereft, on both formation, purpose and substitutions.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Holt Park Loyal
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Holt Park Loyal »

I would add to the debate that under our previous two failures [/managers] the good starts we have made before falling away at Christmas are probably the different between survival and relegation in those seasons. So going by past performances the pressure is on Hock to get us kicking on here and picking up the early points we have made in the last few years, or to avoid the traditional post Christmas slump this time around! WE, the Leeds United family, need to give the team a chance to gel, get it together and get any systems Hock wants working before we start baying for blood.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Tony Pulis isn't who we need, he's just a superior version of Neil Warnock. We need a head coach who plays passing football and has a better understanding of how to play than Hockaday - such as McAllister, who built a much better passing team here than Hockaday. If it was to be Gary Mac, we'd need to hire a defensive coach as his assistant though (maybe go for an ex-player? Fairclough, Radebe, Wetherall, Naylor?). Brighton's passing football has got them into the playoffs two years in a row, it's just they haven't been able to make that final step yet.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
ri916
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by ri916 »

Anyone who isn't waiting until at the very least the end of September to judge Hockaday is quite frankly a mess a of a human being. The people who are calling for his head now are the same ones who will be proclaiming him as the next messiah if we win our next two matches.

Also, as if Pulis or Lennon would be going anywhere near us :lol: .
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

ri916 wrote:Anyone who isn't waiting until at the very least the end of September to judge Hockaday is quite frankly a mess a of a human being.
:thumbup:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

ri916 wrote:Anyone who isn't waiting until at the very least the end of September to judge Hockaday is quite frankly a mess a of a human being. The people who are calling for his head now are the same ones who will be proclaiming him as the next messiah if we win our next two matches.

Also, as if Pulis or Lennon would be going anywhere near us :lol: .
Spot on couldn't agree more, it will take 2 or 3 months in my opinion before we should start to judge.
He is trying to introduce lots of new players and history proves some settle at new clubs quick, some take time and others not at all, he has to judge which are which. He will make mistakes (all managers do) but he will make good decisions, more as he really gets to know the squad and feel his use of substitutes have already won us one match.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

Didn't Cellino think Gary mac was in a contract when having the hocks press conference. He had that funny moment when he realised mac was free.

Maybe there is more to it, if Gary mac was at last night's match ?