First Team Squad

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
GrandMasterWong
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: First Team Squad

Post by GrandMasterWong »

If MC and NS can manage to pull off the Adryan deal :crazy:

For me another attacking player with pace is needed plus the addition of a solid defensively minded player(cb/dm or possibly someone who can play in both positions). Whilst I am pleased with the options already available, I just feel that we are over reliant on going through the middle to get at the oppo goal, hence the addition of a winger(I don't actually think many exist in the modern game). With regards to the defense, I do appreciate the role Rudy plays but if we can get someone in with better technique, or the ability to play a pass :problem: , and use Rudy as a squad player coming in at the back or in midfield.
From what I've seen and heard so far this season(managed to watch both the Dundee Utd and Boro games and caught the AS game on radio) I think we've managed to improve on our defending based on last season, even if it is just a little bit. Cooper played reasonably well v Boro considering it was his debut and what not. Let's not forget Bellusci is yet to make his debut and of the two defenders signed he comes with a more cultured and experienced cv than Cooper. This team, I believe, is being built with the aim of securing promotion sooner rather than later.
If, and it's a rather big if, all the new signings can settle in the first few weeks I can see us causing most teams in this division serious problems. If we can keep close to the pack through the first half of the season, then there's no reason why we can't be challenging towards the end of the season. I am excited about this season and while I would love to be up there come the end. Having said that if you'd asked me three weeks ago about where would be a good finish?? I'd have said avoiding getting into a relegation battle would be a good season.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

The squad is starting to look really strong, a very strong first eleven and a strong subs bench. Who would have thought it after the team we had last year ? Great news Smith signing a new 3 year contract, he's definitely a constant threat and he might not be a starter, but to me, he's the best super sub in the championship.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Viduka95
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Viduka95 »

Now that we have strengthened our defense by signing Bellusci and Cooper I think we should be playing a 4-3-3 or possibly a 4-5-1 formation as I no longer see a point of using the diamond formation it doesn't give us any width.
4-3-3
Silvestri
Berardi-Bellusci-Pearce-Taylor/Warnock
Byram-Tonge-Bianchi
Ajose-Smith-Doukara

4-5-1
---------------Silvestri
Berardi--Cooper--Pearce--Taylor
---------------Cook
---Byram-------------Bianchi
------Ajose--Sharp--Doukara
@MrSkorecki Twitter
LEEDS, LEEDS, LEEDS!
ben87
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by ben87 »

im starting to think all the guys from last year should be looked over, at least most of them(except Warnock, maybe Poleon), from what im hearing and seeing, they seem to be the ones playing the worst.

Silvestri

Beradi
Bellusci
Cooper
Warnock

Bianchi
Murphy(maybe) or get Benedidic on there, cant be anyworse
Ajose
Doukara/Poleon
Sharp
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

We should return to the 4-1-4-1 we played vs. Dundee United, not this diamond. Our midfield isn't getting hold of the ball enough to allow our full backs to provide the width as they don't want to get too far forward, in fear of getting caught out when the midfield inevitably gives it away.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
JubailWhite
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by JubailWhite »

Aces wrote:The squad is starting to look really strong, a very strong first eleven and a strong subs bench. Who would have thought it after the team we had last year ? Great news Smith signing a new 3 year contract, he's definitely a constant threat and he might not be a starter, but to me, he's the best super sub in the championship.
Sorry I dont agree Aces
We have more numbers in the squad, yes, but a very strong first eleven we are yet to see.
You have to consider where all these players are coming from and for me, unless I am proven wrong we are just adding more numbers of personnel who as of yet have not proven to be any better than we already had. We shall see but results do not lie. I hope I am wrong but I fear the worst already.
One question I do have though and maybe you or someone else on the forum can answer:
In the premiership they have to have so many "home grown" players, does that apply to the Championship as well?
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

No.

Different rules regarding all that stuff - basically we're free to play whoever we want and the only restrictions are on loanees.

I think for that the limit is 5 in the squad on a matchday, while for the season there's another limit on the total number of season-long deals, while for short-term (3 months and under) I think - I could be wrong - there's no limit.

No, no. No, no, no, no.
No, no, no, no, no, no: there's no limit.

:wtf:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote: No, no. No, no, no, no.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

It's a difficult one this, we will have differing opinions, mine is based on the team and squad from last year, compared to the new signings, that none of us fully know how good, or not so good they are, so my view is at least premature and could be wrong.

Kenny ....... Silvestri ..... I would say a slight improvement.
Warnock ..... Still playing, very average
Pearce ...... Still playing, but we have Cooper as back up, which is better.
Lees ........ Bellusci .....I don't recall anyone thinking Lees was good, Bellusci apparently is quality.
Byram ....... Still playing, very average., but we also have Beradi who is a Swiss International.
Austin ....... Still playing, very average.
Murphy ...... Still Playing, very average, but we have Bennedicic, who has a lot of potential.
Mowatt ......was very average, we now have Bianchi, who has been good and just average.
Stewart ......Doukara, in the four games he has played, he's done more than Stewart did in four months.
Kebe ........ Whoever I put here, is far better than him, Ajose looks far better, if we say it's him.
McCormack ...I'm putting Billy Sharp here, I know they play in different positions, both big players.
Smith ........ Antenucci has just signed and should improve the team/squad.
Hunt ........ Closing in on Adryan, who looks real class and is raved about in Italy.

Peltier played 23 games
Brown .... 12
Wootton ...19
Pugh ...... 19
Varney ..... 11
Green ....... 7
Wickham .... 5
Other fringe players, like Zaliukus and Tonge, who we still have, Diouf was still in the squad and unfit.

It's just my opinion, but to me the defence looks stronger and we have a big, young, strong goaly who looks very capable and he's good at crosses. Midfield needs improving, we desperately need Adryan, if not we are relying on Austin and Murphy, we have Bianchi who looks a decent player, too early to say if he's real quality. Benedicic looks like a good one for the future. We lost Ross, but gained Billy Sharp, who I think fills his boots, although in slightly different positions and with Antenucci, I think our attack is better. To me, the main area we need to improve is the midfield. If you say Ross was midfield, then we are a lot weaker in that area, but like I say, if Adryan comes, I think he will make a huge difference. As for basing a team on it's results only, it's not exactly like that. Take Man utd last year, with almost the identical team that romped to the premiership the year before, they added Fellaini and Mata, in January and ...... Were 7 places worse off and didn't qualify for Europe. Hopefully this new team of ours doesn't finish 7 places lower, because that would see us in 22nd position and relegated.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Barlow Boy wrote:
rigger wrote: No, no. No, no, no, no.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shouldn't there have been at least one 'yes' in there somewhere? :D
I once played against Don Revie.