Ex-Player/Manager Watch

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
dskimcbski
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Ex-Player Watch

Post by dskimcbski »

Jemsym wrote:Am I alone in wishing we had re-signed Becchio, especially since he has now gone on loan to our new 'local derby rivals" Rotherham? I always thought he was a brilliantly opportunistic player who had that instinctive knack of being in the right place at the right time and sneaking goals when we really needed them.

I'd be worried more about him when we play Rotherham than McCormack or Smith when we come up against Fulham.
Nah mate. I'm a bit gutted as well. Rumours circulating last night suggesting we only let Smith go because we thought we had either Becchio/ Pavoletti ready to come in. Sadly, our Luca choose Rotherham. :crazy: I can only assume it was due to monies as why else would he choose them over US..... :angel:
'I'd rather be hated for being who I am, than loved for being someone I'm not'.
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

Jemsym wrote:Am I alone in wishing we had re-signed Becchio, especially since he has now gone on loan to our new 'local derby rivals" Rotherham? I always thought he was a brilliantly opportunistic player who had that instinctive knack of being in the right place at the right time and sneaking goals when we really needed them.

I'd be worried more about him when we play Rotherham than McCormack or Smith when we come up against Fulham.
I reckon he won't be anywhere near match fitness plus i'm unsure whether he would fit into the new Leeds set-up
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I'm pleased we didn't sign Becchio, said it before on here I'm not a fan of bringing players back, never the same 2nd time around. Becchio is coming off a season of inactivity and doubt very much he would repeat his heroics of his time with us.
Thanks for the memory but we've now got Sharp, Antenucci, Montenegro, Doukara and Walters to support.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Jemsym
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Jemsym »

dskimcbski wrote:
Rumours circulating last night suggesting we only let Smith go because we thought we had either Becchio/ Pavoletti ready to come in. Sadly, our Luca choose Rotherham.
Sorry.... I didn't hear that we might have approached him. Like you, I'd find it hard to believe he'd turn us down. If it was for money, then good luck to him. Still don't like the thought of him up against us though. :(
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

I'm watching a program on BBC 1 right now, 21 up New Generation. It follows kids through the years as they approach their 21st birthday. One of those featured is our ex youth player Sanchez Payne. It featured him playing his way up through the Leeds system until he was released last summer. The lad has understandably had a tough year and still hasn't been picked up by anyone on a permanent deal. He came across really well, and seems like an intelligent, decent young man. It shows the other side of the football world which doesn't get the same attention as the success stories. He is a cousin of Andre Wisdom and he was also hanging out with Dom Poleon. I hope he gets signed up again soon.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

dangermouse wrote:I'm watching a program on BBC 1 right now, 21 up New Generation. It follows kids through the years as they approach their 21st birthday. One of those featured is our ex youth player Sanchez Payne. It featured him playing his way up through the Leeds system until he was released last summer. The lad has understandably had a tough year and still hasn't been picked up by anyone on a permanent deal. He came across really well, and seems like an intelligent, decent young man. It shows the other side of the football world which doesn't get the same attention as the success stories. He is a cousin of Andre Wisdom and he was also hanging out with Dom Poleon. I hope he gets signed up again soon.
I thought Payne was signed by Stockport?
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I liked Payne, I thought he looked dangerous and was quite an exciting player. I hope it works out for him, I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

He was on trial at Doncaster in the summer of 2013, shame that didn't come to anything.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

In the programme he said he was on a 2 week trial at Doncaster. 6 weeks later he was still on trial, not getting paid or even travel expenses. No one would tell him if he was being offered a contract or not so he left as he couldn't afford to keep travelling there everyday. I don't know if he was signed by Stockport, maybe since the programme was made? He is clearly still a Leeds lad. Training on his own in his Leeds training kit.
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6801240

Found this article from last week in the YEP on Sanchez Payne. He was indeed at Stockport, but is looking a new club again.