The Cellino thread - The Football League verdict

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The Cellino thread - discussions on his running of LUFC

Post by SiMamu »

Warnock and McDermott best additions to the first team were free transfers from Leeds United U21s/18s, Byram and Mowatt.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

isrodger wrote:Some people are really dissapointed that Cellino has a better eye for a player than warnock and BMc. In time I look forward for them admitting they were wrong. I really hope we continue to progress as we have since the summer - a lot of people are going to be eating humble pie, experts, media and fans alike.
TBH I don't think there is a true fan that would be "dissapointed " that we seem to be on the up. There are a multitude to reasons for this (as there would be if it all went to pieces) more so than any of us will probably know. Some people being a little more reserved and sceptical after all that has happened to LUFC over the last decade is no surprise. I for one may be lumped into the "humble pie" section but I make no apologies for reserving my judgement, I still have concerns. Do I appreciate the 3 points, the upturn in footballing style and the excitement .... of course I do as ANYONE who loves Leeds United would. Do I admit I was wrong for reserving judgement... no way. Will i eat humble pie ? Think again!
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
david6251
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by david6251 »

hello i understand our owner went to the crowd at yesterdays game...anybody got any pics at all or was this not the case...thanx david
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

david6251 wrote:hello i understand our owner went to the crowd at yesterdays game...anybody got any pics at all or was this not the case...thanx david
See the match thread David :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

rigger wrote:Following on from my post about Redfearn yesterday, I think it's time we gave Cellino some credit for spotting a decent player or five :D

I don't know if it's purely down to him, or if he has a network of scouts in Italy and across Europe, or indeed how much Salerno is involved, or whether it's a combination of all three, but he/they have done a stonking job in bringing in players.

It's early days, I know, but I can't help but be excited about our new forward line. To think we've netted almost £10m and now have Doukara and Antenucci up top with Billy Sharp kicking his heels on the bench ! Imagine how strong we'll be when he's back to full fitness.
The defence has been shored up with plenty of options and proper quality ... and we'll need both with the number of cards we're picking up.
Midfield is more complicated in that the shackles have come off the youth team a little bit with more faith being shown in Mowatt and the emergence of Cook, while the players we have brought in have proven to be top drawer and possibly good enough to play in the Prem when we get back there.

I am quietly confident for the rest of the season.
I cannot believe how quickly it's been turned around, either.
I still think a lot of the groundwork was down to The Hock and I'm disappointed he couldn't have been kept on as a fitness coach, given the condition of the players at the moment.

All in all, great work Sig. Cellino - thank you :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I think its all three, and i agree that i would have liked the Hock to stay on board as a fitness coach because i am 100% certain that the players didnt just get fit all of a sudden under NR, he just unlocked the players freedom to play and that is the part that the Hock couldnt do with the time he had with so many new players. Either way its all paying off now but a word of warning the points were against teams really struggling except fr Bournemouth who are a good side who we caught good on the day. There is a good air of confidence flowing from the squad because of the past 4 games and thats a huge achievement considering where we were two weeks ago. When players are fit and are let loose a bit the level of their overall quality starts to shine through and there is still a lot to come yet from this squad.
Viduka95
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Viduka95 »

SiMamu wrote:Warnock and McDermott best additions to the first team were free transfers from Leeds United U21s/18s, Byram and Mowatt.
And Stephen Warnock
@MrSkorecki Twitter
LEEDS, LEEDS, LEEDS!
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

CorkWhite wrote:
rigger wrote:Following on from my post about Redfearn yesterday, I think it's time we gave Cellino some credit for spotting a decent player or five :D

I don't know if it's purely down to him, or if he has a network of scouts in Italy and across Europe, or indeed how much Salerno is involved, or whether it's a combination of all three, but he/they have done a stonking job in bringing in players.

It's early days, I know, but I can't help but be excited about our new forward line. To think we've netted almost £10m and now have Doukara and Antenucci up top with Billy Sharp kicking his heels on the bench ! Imagine how strong we'll be when he's back to full fitness.
The defence has been shored up with plenty of options and proper quality ... and we'll need both with the number of cards we're picking up.
Midfield is more complicated in that the shackles have come off the youth team a little bit with more faith being shown in Mowatt and the emergence of Cook, while the players we have brought in have proven to be top drawer and possibly good enough to play in the Prem when we get back there.

I am quietly confident for the rest of the season.
I cannot believe how quickly it's been turned around, either.
I still think a lot of the groundwork was down to The Hock and I'm disappointed he couldn't have been kept on as a fitness coach, given the condition of the players at the moment.

All in all, great work Sig. Cellino - thank you :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I think its all three, and i agree that i would have liked the Hock to stay on board as a fitness coach because i am 100% certain that the players didnt just get fit all of a sudden under NR, he just unlocked the players freedom to play and that is the part that the Hock couldnt do with the time he had with so many new players. Either way its all paying off now but a word of warning the points were against teams really struggling except fr Bournemouth who are a good side who we caught good on the day. There is a good air of confidence flowing from the squad because of the past 4 games and thats a huge achievement considering where we were two weeks ago. When players are fit and are let loose a bit the level of their overall quality starts to shine through and there is still a lot to come yet from this squad.
Do agree about Hock, think he was a little unlucky, Doukaras injury and a few sending offs didn't help his results. Players were still coming in and still needed to gel. He did a good job getting the squad fitness levels up, for that i thank him as we are now seeing the benefit.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

isrodger wrote:Some people are really dissapointed that Cellino has a better eye for a player than warnock and BMc. In time I look forward for them admitting they were wrong. I really hope we continue to progress as we have since the summer - a lot of people are going to be eating humble pie, experts, media and fans alike.
The thing that annoyed me the most with these types, is that they were on Cellino in a flash, picking over the bones of everything he said, or did. They never gave him a chance, it's still too early to say if he will succeed, but the signs are promising. Most don't post much on here anymore, they have little to moan about at the moment, which is good on both counts. Another thing that hacked me off, was when some of us pointed out the good Cellino had done and was doing, their stock reply was, 'Cellino Lover' like I say, it hacked me off, because I for one said over and over I didn't want Cellino to own Leeds united, but once he did, I said, we have to back him, give him a chance. As for them eating humble pie, I think like most internet warriors, they won't rear their heads again and not one of them would ever man up and admit they were wrong.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Aces wrote:
The thing that annoyed me the most with these types, is that they were on Cellino in a flash, picking over the bones of everything he said, or did. They never gave him a chance, it's still too early to say if he will succeed, but the signs are promising. Most don't post much on here anymore, they have little to moan about at the moment, which is good on both counts. Another thing thacked me off, was when some of us pointed out the good Cellino had done and was doing, their stock reply was, 'Cellino Lover' like I say, it hacked me off, because I for one said over and over I didn't want Cellino to own Leeds united, but once he did, I said, we have to back him, give him a chance. As for them eating humble pie, I think like most internet warriors, they won't rear their heads again and not one of them would ever man up and admit they were wrong.
I'm not necessarily on about posters on here. The media in general & the football world were anti Cellino. Most are ignorant about what Cellino has done or is promising to do for the club - if he buys back the ground in the next 3 months - he has proven to be a best owner than we have had since Silver - end of story - people can debate he could be a better owner - but they should add a caveat - he is the best owner we have had for 20 years. Fact his he has invested in the squad. The quality is far superior to those assembled by Warnock and McDermott. Some posters on here did herald the signings of Norris, green, hunt, etc whilst calling Bellusci, Antanucci & Bianchi Italian Journey men - they were ignorant to the quality that was being recruited - hardly surprising in the case of the Italian acquisitions. They had little faith in Cellino's eye for a player - failing to acknowledge his pedigree in Italy. If we had run a poll prior to seeing anyone play I think the majority would have said billy sharp was our best signing, drawing comfort for a degree of familiarity. Hockaday was a disastrous appointment - but not as a result of his ability. He was a lot better appointment than Warnock & BMC - our football was better under him & he cost us £50k ??? and probably £500k re Ajose. Warnock & BMC cost us millions in salary pay offs & player legacies. I do hope some of the posters on here who have disappeared return asap - the site is worse for their absence. Some of their concerns were valid & lets face it we will all become a little frustrated with our owner - because he is a bit mad isn't he. But more than that - he's passionate, stylish, aggressive & impatient & you know what he's a fan - he gets what it is to Leeds and that for me is important.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

isrodger wrote: He was a lot better appointment than Warnock & BMC - our football was better under him & he cost us £50k ???
No, we didn't play better football under Hockaday. Just because it's being played on the floor doesn't make it entertaining if it's played with no purpose and never goes past the halfway line. It was just as dull as under McDermott and Warnock, but with less purpose and no real attacking threat. Hockaday wasn't a better appointment either, he lacked the tactical nous his predecessors showed on rare occasions, whereas Hockaday showed little to none. There is a fine distinction between good football and not hoofing. Just because you play it on the floor, doesn't make it any better than hoofing if there's still no entertainment value because it's very dull and has no purpose.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."