Paul Madeley! One of LUFC's very best, surely?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: Paul Madeley! One of LUFC's very best, surely?

Post by Aces »

Nice to see you back Malcolm, I liked your contributions to this forum, I hope you keep posting mate.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Aces wrote:I was fortunate to see King Dons great team and Madeley was an amazing player, as were the rest. But unlike the rest who basically held down one position, Madely was used to play in several different positions, because he was that versatile. He was a Rolls Royce of a player, he just glided around, was great on the ball and deserves to be in the best starting eleven. The only problem is, who does he replace? Each of the best players held down one position and I think that's why it's hard to put Madeley in before them, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a fantastic player, but so were the others.
What was his best position ? Centre half ? Hunter & madley and better combination than charlton & another. Hunter was unlucky to be in the shadow of bobby Moore , madley unlucky to be in the shadow of hunter?
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

That's just it mate, he played CB, RB, Midfield, on the wing, just about every position. If I recall it was said the only position he didn't play in was in goal. He was simply a versatile player who didn't hold down one position and as such, he can't really oust any other of the great players. But he was a great player in his own right.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I always thought right back was his "speciality" role, if he had one.
Didn't he play there the most ?
I'm sure he covered Reaney's leg break, didn't he ?
And I think the majority of his 20-odd England caps were in that position, weren't they ?
Bit out of my age range, to be honest though ...
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

I remember a story (I don't know if it is true or not) that Sir Alf Ramsey wanted Paul to be in his squad for the world cup in Mexico in 1970. Paul who wasn't expecting a call up said he could not go as he had booked and paid for his holiday in Cornwall and was unable to get his money back.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

johnh wrote:Must be some sort of record, a response to a thread where the last post was exactly a year ago. :?
I do like a record, even if it was accidental, John.

Regarding all the other comments, I think that behind Bremner and Giles, who were the Iniesta and Xavi of their day, and possibly Allan Clarke, plus Reaney and Cooper, best fullbacks in the country, Madeley was Leeds' best player from their greatest decade. He was so good, even Sir Alf picked him at left back v Poland, although Reaney was fully fit at the time. He was such an all-round footballer.

To say he never achieved a regular starting position is incorrect. He was eventually chosen as Leeds' first choice centre half during the 1975-76 season, following Norman Hunter's suspension. Eventually, Hunter left for Ashton Gate.

Madeley marked Johan Cruyff out of the European Cup Semi-finals in 75, for 180 minutes, and then Muller in the Final, when WE (back in 75, if Leeds were in a European Final, then WE were all Leeds fans, even in Newcastle) were cheated out of a deserved win by Beckenbauer's brilliant X-Box control of the French referee....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Malcolm Stark wrote:
johnh wrote:Must be some sort of record, a response to a thread where the last post was exactly a year ago. :?
I do like a record, even if it was accidental, John.

Regarding all the other comments, I think that behind Bremner and Giles, who were the Iniesta and Xavi of their day, and possibly Allan Clarke, plus Reaney and Cooper, best fullbacks in the country, Madeley was Leeds' best player from their greatest decade. He was so good, even Sir Alf picked him at left back v Poland, although Reaney was fully fit at the time. He was such an all-round footballer.

To say he never achieved a regular starting position is incorrect. He was eventually chosen as Leeds' first choice centre half during the 1975-76 season, following Norman Hunter's suspension. Eventually, Hunter left for Ashton Gate.

Madeley marked Johan Cruyff out of the European Cup Semi-finals in 75, for 180 minutes, and then Muller in the Final, when WE (back in 75, if Leeds were in a European Final, then WE were all Leeds fans, even in Newcastle) were cheated out of a deserved win by Beckenbauer's brilliant X-Box control of the French referee....
Malcolm,
If my memory serves me right i believe Madeley started on the left wing in the 2nd leg of the semi against Barca but did drop back to Centre Half for the last 30 minutes following McQueens sending off but believe it was Hunter that in the main marked Cryuff in that match.
Agree he did play in defence in the first leg and mark Cryuff due to Hunters absence.

Due to McQueens suspension Madeley played Centre Half in Paris but many fans i know from back in the day think against the Germans we actually missed his presence in midfield.

Can't argue he was a superb player, a Rolls Royce is how he as been described many times.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I think a lot forget that Paul was one of the first footballers who invested his money wisely. He bought a shop selling sports goods & another selling DIY. He & his brothers sold the business in 1987 for £27 million. If memory serves me correctly the only other player of that era to do well after football was Francis Lee who started a business making & selling toilet rolls, as an aside Peter Kay worked in the factory before hitting it big time as a comedian.
Winner of the Europa League
Lee
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Lee »

What a great thread with some great arguments and counter arguments. I say arguments but they're not are they? Just great knowledgeable posts without having to resort in tit for tat sniping. I only wish I was old enough to have seen the players mentioned.
July 26th 2013. The day Leeds United rid themselves of an odious git.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I think a lot forget that Paul was one of the first footballers who invested his money wisely. He bought a shop selling sports goods & another selling DIY. He & his brothers sold the business in 1987 for £27 million. If memory serves me correctly the only other player of that era to do well after football was Francis Lee who started a business making & selling toilet rolls, as an aside Peter Kay worked in the factory before hitting it big time as a comedian.
Apparently, Robbie Fowler invested heavily in property and owns half of Liverpool.
I once played against Don Revie.