Ex-Player/Manager Watch

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: Ex-Player Watch

Post by Aces »

SiMamu wrote:
Aces wrote:
SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Fabian Delph out for up to 2 months:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29667126
I think Delph is sitting pretty at the moment. He has not only got in the England squad, I feel more by luck, due to injuries and although his last game wasn't so good, the lad has taken his chance by the scruff of the neck and actually established himself. All credit to him, he's been playing well for Villa and he got his break and showed Roy, what he can do.
Why do you keep saying that when it's false? Where has this idea originated from? The only CM injured is Carrick, and I'd rather be focusing on younger players like Delph. Barkley was injured but he's not a central midfielder, Delph isn't competing with him, Barkley will be competing with Lallana and Sterling for the CAM position.
Well he hasn't got in on form, his form was really good last year, but tapered off and he's been ok at the start of this year, but nothing special. There has been a few injuries in midfield regardless of what position he or others play and to me he only got in because of this.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Aces wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
Aces wrote:
SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Fabian Delph out for up to 2 months:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29667126
I think Delph is sitting pretty at the moment. He has not only got in the England squad, I feel more by luck, due to injuries and although his last game wasn't so good, the lad has taken his chance by the scruff of the neck and actually established himself. All credit to him, he's been playing well for Villa and he got his break and showed Roy, what he can do.
Why do you keep saying that when it's false? Where has this idea originated from? The only CM injured is Carrick, and I'd rather be focusing on younger players like Delph. Barkley was injured but he's not a central midfielder, Delph isn't competing with him, Barkley will be competing with Lallana and Sterling for the CAM position.
Well he hasn't got in on form, his form was really good last year, but tapered off and he's been ok at the start of this year, but nothing special. There has been a few injuries in midfield regardless of what position he or others play and to me he only got in because of this.
But you're wrong, we'd lack central midfield depth if that was the case and if Delph was to lose his place upon the return of other players. He earned his place based on last year's form and is in the England squad because of a lack of alternatives.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Either way Si, he isn't that good and it reflects just how poor an England side we have got at the moment. He didn't get anywhere near the World Cup squad, but like I've said, he's taken his chance when he got picked and good luck to him, being an ex Leeds player.

Here's a list of midfielders who were being considered for the WC squad, Delph wasn't mentioned.

Midfielders

Definitely on the plane: Steven Gerrard, captain (33, Liverpool, 109 caps, 21 goals), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (20, Arsenal, 14 caps, three goals), Jordan Henderson (23, Liverpool, eight caps), Adam Lallana (25, Southampton, three caps), Raheem Sterling (19, Liverpool, two caps)
Almost there: Ross Barkley (20, Everton, three caps) James Milner (28, Manchester City, 45 caps, one goal)
Facing an anxious wait: Jack Wilshere (22, Arsenal, 15 caps), Tom Cleverley (24, Manchester United, 13 caps), Frank Lampard (35, Chelsea, 103 caps, 29 goals),
Making a late charge: Gareth Barry (33, Everton, 53 caps, three goals), Adam Johnson (26, Sunderland, 12 caps, two goals)
The left-field possibility? Ashley Young (28, Manchester United, 30 caps, seven goals)
Injured: Theo Walcott (25, Arsenal, 36 caps, five goals), Andros Townsend (22, Tottenham, five caps, one goal)
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Not all of those players listed have an effect on Delph getting a callup, as they're all wingers.

Also, that is only the BBC's prediction for who was being considered for the world cup squad, it's not an official list, it's just a prediction based on likelihood due to previous squads. The BBC will have no idea if Hodgson considered Delph in passing, perhaps not as a serious case. Either way, Delph would've been a better choice than Cleverley for the squad.
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

From a footie website, a good quote from Mark Viduka:

Former Australian striker Mark Viduka is perhaps most known for his goalscoring exploits during his time at Leeds, but an extract from “The Secret Footballer”,a new book from a guardian columnist under that moniker explains that up in the North West of England, Viduka is remembered more for his response to an angry fan.

After Leeds United’s financial crisis became apparent, Viduka moved to Middlesbrough where he was the highest earner on £60,000 a week but he had a mixed time. When they were good, Viduka was very good.But when things got bad, the fans turned on him. One such occasion – when Middlesbrough had lost and Viduka was taken off at half-time and roundly booed – Viduka was confronted by angry fans, as he went to leave the stadium after the game.

The ringleader of the angry fans says to Viduka “I pay your fucking wages, Viduka”. The Australian looks him square in the eye and asks “You pay my wages?”, “That’s fucking right” says the ringleader. And with that Viduka extends his hand and says:

Fair play to you, mate. You must be one rich fucker.

It’s still spoken about at the Riverside ever since.
ben87
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by ben87 »

:lol:
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

I am keeping one eye on League 1 this season.

I have money on Preston to be Champions and get promoted and I would love to see Simon Grayson get the success he deserves - he was so close last season - one of the nicest people in football - IMHO. :thumbup:

It will be interesting to see how Notts County do as well!! :thumbup:
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Shaun Derry at Notts County is an interesting one, you normally expect young managers to have young exciting teams. Instead, he's followed the methods of his ex-manager, Neil Warnock, and filled the team with a couple of 30+ journeymen.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

SiMamu wrote:Shaun Derry at Notts County is an interesting one, you normally expect young managers to have young exciting teams. Instead, he's followed the methods of his ex-manager, Neil Warnock, and filled the team with a couple of 30+ journeymen.

One of course being Leeds' own Alan Smith. :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

SiMamu wrote:Shaun Derry at Notts County is an interesting one, you normally expect young managers to have young exciting teams. Instead, he's followed the methods of his ex-manager, Neil Warnock, and filled the team with a couple of 30+ journeymen.

Listened to Derry as a pundit on Sky awhile ago & he certainly talks a good game as does David Prutton also on Sky.
Winner of the Europa League