Lewis Cook

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Lewis Cook

Post by SiMamu »

I recently wrote an article for my school's sixth form magazine on our rising star and I thought I should share it with you guys too, as you're more likely to appreciate it as you've actually seen Cook play. I'm not just sharing this with you in light of yesterday's game, it's because I've only just been made aware that it was published a month ago in the magazine without me realising it.
The title I gave it was 'The Holding Solution' but the editor of the magazine, someone else in my year, gave the article the title 'Lewis Cook: A recipe for success in England's midfield.' I'm adamant my title was better.
Lewis Cook: A recipe for success in England's midfield
Looking at the current England set-up and the options available to Roy Hodgson, it becomes clear that there isn’t an abundance of natural holding midfielders at England’s disposal. Instead, England utilise makeshift versatile defenders and box-to-box midfielders, with the current preference at the base of England’s midfield being Jack Wilshere.
A possible solution has recently emerged and claimed a place in Leeds United’s starting eleven, in seventeen year old Lewis Cook.
Lewis Cook has become a regular this season at the base of Leeds’ diamond, showing maturity and composure beyond his years – with former Leeds head coach Dave Hockaday stating that “if you chopped Lewis’ head off and put an older head on his shoulders, you wouldn’t’ be surprised.”
Cook was recently ranked 32nd by TEAMtalk on their list of the ‘top 50 wonderkids,’ with the only criteria being that they must be born in or after 1996; with Cook placing 4th out of the Englishmen on the list.
Cook has already tasted success in an England shirt, after being part of the Under 17 side’s European Championship victory in May 2014, alongside recent Chelsea debutant Dominic Solanke and Fulham’s breakthrough star last season, Patrick Roberts.
In terms of style of play, Ryan Ledson (Everton), Cook’s midfield partner for the under 17s, described him as a “hard man on the field.” Cook possesses a good passing range and a burst of pace, utilising this to start attacks from deep, whilst never shying from a tackle.
In terms of player likeness, Cook is not in the mould of traditional holding midfielders like Claude Makelele, rather he is more akin to deep-lying playmakers like Bastian Schweinsteiger.
Cook is by no means the only possible future holding midfield option for England. Other options include the nationality torn son of Gus Poyet, West Ham’s Diego Poyet, and Derby’s George Thorne, who is currently facing a season long injury layoff with a cruciate knee ligament injury.
But of these options, Cook is the only one who is guaranteed to remain English and who isn’t losing a season of development. Although it may be a year or two before Cook is playing in the Premier League, it is highly likely that Cook will be ready for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, but for now England fans need to, to quote Take That, have a little patience.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Lewis Cook

Post by SMorientes »

Pretty good. I wouldn't have used that hockaday quote though, one of the most stupid things I've ever heard come out of a Leeds manager's mouth. I realise you used it because what he meant to say demonstrated what you were on about though. Cellino's said a lot of far more eloquent things about Cook's abilities, maybe one of them instead?

You love your take that quotes.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

SMorientes wrote:Pretty good. I wouldn't have used that hockaday quote though, one of the most stupid things I've ever heard come out of a Leeds manager's mouth. I realise you used it because what he meant to say demonstrated what you were on about though. Cellino's said a lot of far more eloquent things about Cook's abilities, maybe one of them instead?

You love your take that quotes.
I included the Hockaday quote for a bit of humour, because it doesn't make any sense, I want the reader to read it again and still fail to understand what it means.

This Cellino quote on Cook in an interview with the Telegraph probably would've been better, but it's too late now:
“When I first saw this boy Cook play it was phenomenal,” Cellino says. “I wasn’t expecting to have someone so special playing for Leeds. He plays with personality and skill. When I found out he was 17, it was a fantastic surprise. But we must handle him in the right way. He is just 17 years old and we can –––– him up if we give him too much pressure.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I think what Hockaday was saying (though not very well) was that Cook has an 'old head on young shoulders', ie 'if you chopped his head off and put an older head on his shoulders, you wouldn't be surprised' - (because there wouldn't be any difference). I think. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

johnh wrote:I think what Hockaday was saying (though not very well) was that Cook has an 'old head on young shoulders', ie 'if you chopped his head off and put an older head on his shoulders, you wouldn't be surprised' - (because there wouldn't be any difference). I think. :D
That's the general gist of the quote I got from it too, but it's still ridiculous :D.
Lee

Post by Lee »

He was a real wordsmith was old Dave.
July 26th 2013. The day Leeds United rid themselves of an odious git.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Thanks for sharing that Si.

Must admit, I had not considered him a "hard man" as such. Will keep an eye on him on Friday, should he play.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SMorientes

Post by SMorientes »

Barlow Boy wrote:Thanks for sharing that Si.

Must admit, I had not considered him a "hard man" as such. Will keep an eye on him on Friday, should he play.
He's been considered a hard man in the context of under17s matches. Might be a bit more difficult to seem like a hard man in senior matches when you're still a little kid compared to most of the people you're up against.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

SMorientes wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Thanks for sharing that Si.

He's been considered a hard man in the context of under17s matches. Might be a bit more difficult to seem like a hard man in senior matches when you're still a little kid compared to most of the people you're up against.
Fair point, must admit to not having thought of it like that :oops:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Lee wrote:He was a real wordsmith was old Dave.
Not the word that springs to my mind :D
Winner of the Europa League