Leeds fans views needed

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Socrates
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: Leeds fans views needed

Post by Socrates »

Leeds United has the same problem as every other club in the country. I am from an indian background and have been going to ER for over 30 years. Where you get groups of blokes ( in the case of football grounds where there are thousands!) people will say things on the terraces to opposing players, managers etc that you would never say to their face if you were walking down the street on your own and sadly racist comments still get said. What happens? A few thickos laugh and then it goes away and everyone looks round at me as if I some how missed it...
Trust me it's a lot better than the 80s but even recently at the away game at Reading in the pub prior to the game a group of lads in high spirits decided to sing a racist song - I was stood less than 2 metres away and my heart sank. One of them looked round, saw me and then they all had a laugh and that was that. The other fans did or said nothing and I just felt disappointed and let down from what I see as my Leeds family...
That experience is bound to put parents off encouraging their kids to get into football - play in the park, locally, even (rarely) a Sunday league team - but it's viewed as not worth the risk of abuse.
Socrates
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Socrates »

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to emphasise that as usual it's the 1% that ruin it for everyone's
MOT
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Good insight Socrates, cheers.Trouble is, it may only be the 1%, but they're usually a very vocal and rowdy one percent that want to intimidate people and feel powerful.
This subject reminds me of a description of a character in Catch 22: "A militant idealist who crusaded against racial bigotry by growing faint in its presence." The majority of people abhor racism but are unable to confront it because it's usually designed to intimidate.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."