2015/16 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

2015/16 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by SiMamu »

Loan deadline has now passed so we are now unable to make anymore acquisitions in the 14/15 season, so I felt it was apt time to make a thread for next season's transfer rumours and dealings. The thread title encompassing 'squad discussions' also means that debate over what we need in the squad and 'wishlisting' players also fit the thread, rather than it just being an 'ins and outs' thread like the previous with, technically, off topic discussion.

On that front, my starting lineup for next season is:
---------------Silvestri
Berardi-Bamba-Bellusci-C.Taylor
---------Murphy-Cook
Byram--------Mowatt-----New Left Winger
--------------New Striker

In the summer, I think we need to make at least two, three including Bamba on a permanent, new signings for the starting lineup, whilst of course renewing the academy quartet and Austin's contracts, along with Redfearn's.

A subs bench of: New GK/S.Taylor, Cooper, Wootton, Austin/Phillips, Dawson/Walters, Sharp/Antenucci, Morison/Doukara

A second winger may also be required for depth, but I'd like Walters to be given the opportunity. Sharp, Antenucci and Doukara (Birmingham away in September) have all had impacts off the bench in the past and encompass a good set of impact subs.

Out of our large crop of loan signings, only Bamba has done enough to warrant getting a permanent contract. I'd happily take Del Fabro on a second loan, on a permanent if the fee is below 1m. I'm indifferent towards Montenegro, Parkin looked more of a threat on Monday. Dawson's got more about him than Adryan, who hasn't done enough to warrant paying 3m for him, particularly as we're not swimming in money. Benedicic and N'Goyi have done absolutely nothing and should both return to their parent clubs, although N'Goyi still has time to sway things in his favour - but I doubt he has enough time to sway favour towards paying 2m for him - a new DM may need to also be on the agenda in the summer. Cani hasn't done anything to justify being signed on a permanent either, particularly as Morison looks superior and I think we can find superior strikers with aerial prowess.

On the possible players to target front. For the striker position, Chris Wood could be available, although his wages would be high. It would not surprise me if we went back in for Pavoletti. For the left wing position, I think we need to avoid Serie B, as pace and wingers aren't really a thing in Italy, they prefer wing backs, but such a system won't work in England without sufficient cover for the full backs, as English football is very focused on its wing play. Possible left wingers to target could be James McClean if Wigan are relegated (but he won't come cheap, transfer fee or wages wise), Mustapha Carayol on a free, or Elliott Bennett. Knockaert may be available if we want to be really ambitious.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2015/16 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by SiMamu »

West Yorkshire Sport @WYSdaily · 14m 14 minutes ago
#lufc Redfearn on White: His injury is a real shame, as he would have fitted in great to the system we are playing currenty.
#lufc Redfearn on White: No decision has been made on him or any players on whether they will stay or go this summer.
lufc Redfearn on the new signings he wants: I think we are solid enough at the back and are exceptional in midfield....
#lufc Redfearn on the new signings he wants: the wide lads are doing well, but we need genuine attacking wingers, not just 2 but 4
#lufc Redfearn: Look at Bournemouth, they have 4 wingers, so can bring players off the bench to freshen it up, that's what we need
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

It shows we have turned a corner when the list of players in terms of positions that we need to strengthen is down to one or two. Some seasons it was almost half the team.

I think a wide player and a centre forward would make a huge difference.

That said, Lewis Walters and Kalvin Phillips will make more of a impact next season, could be very interesting.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm more interested in losing players than signing anyone at the moment. Our squad is so top heavy it's crazy.
Stop signing players for the sake of it, make a proper analysis of what we need and go for two or three realistic targets who will add quality to the side.
We've got an excellent academy so we have plenty of numbers, especially with the likes of Dawson and Walters bubbling under.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

rigger wrote:I'm more interested in losing players than signing anyone at the moment. Our squad is so top heavy it's crazy.
Stop signing players for the sake of it, make a proper analysis of what we need and go for two or three realistic targets who will add quality to the side.
We've got an excellent academy so we have plenty of numbers, especially with the likes of Dawson and Walters bubbling under.
We made too many signings last summer. Signing quantity over quality, to an extent. We only need 3 or 4 this summer, which Cellino himself has said.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Knockaert would be a great signing on a free, but I guess he will be very in demand. If we're sticking with 4-2-3-1, then we'd need a pacy forward up top, like Andre Gray but he'd be too expensive. Maybe Dwight Gayle if he's not in Palace's plans. Could do with an experienced CM and maybe another experienced CB, as well as another RW for competition with Byram. I don't think we need to make too many changes as we have a good base to build from.
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Aaron »

SG90 wrote:Knockaert would be a great signing on a free, but I guess he will be very in demand. If we're sticking with 4-2-3-1, then we'd need a pacy forward up top, like Andre Gray but he'd be too expensive. Maybe Dwight Gayle if he's not in Palace's plans. Could do with an experienced CM and maybe another experienced CB, as well as another RW for competition with Byram. I don't think we need to make too many changes as we have a good base to build from.
Been saying for months Gayle would be a top signing, would love it if it happened.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

SG90 wrote:Knockaert would be a great signing on a free, but I guess he will be very in demand. If we're sticking with 4-2-3-1, then we'd need a pacy forward up top, like Andre Gray but he'd be too expensive. Maybe Dwight Gayle if he's not in Palace's plans. Could do with an experienced CM and maybe another experienced CB, as well as another RW for competition with Byram. I don't think we need to make too many changes as we have a good base to build from.
The striker needs to be quick, strong and good in the air, to provide Morison-esque hold up play.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... ed-8954053
The Sun also reporting that Aston Villa are interested in Cook and Byram. I doubt they could afford Byram, let alone Cook. I doubt anything will really come of this.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

@APOPEY: #lufc Out of contract 22 yr old midfielder Zac Thompson played as a trialist for Scunthorpe Utd reserves in 3-1 win away to Mansfieldtoday.