Most memorable matches

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Most memorable matches

Post by isrodger »

I was talking to a mate about the most memorable games we attended, and we both came up with some which might be less memorable to most than say those great European nights. I would be interested to see which "alternative" games might stick in people's minds dependent upon when their own support was most fervent. I missed the Revie days so will be interested in the old timers memories. I have Missed out some glorious defeats, Watford @ Cardiff & Chelsea Chelsea what's the score stick in my memory, as well as WBA away with relegation that followed. Here's my starter for 10.

10. Middlesbourgh - home Optimism abound before opening day defeat @ Newcastle first home game, Leeds fans locked outside - Enter the gladiator Vinny. Never seen a player make such a positive impact whilst not managing to connect with the ball properly! Comedy genius.

9. Liverpool Wembley Charity Shield - finally see Leeds at Wembley and a win Coutesy of Ooh ah Cantona 

8. Man Utd  - FA Cup -  Beckford thanks for the memory, no pressure on us, it is usually us who lose at home to a side 2 divisions belw us.

7. Bournmouth away - didn't get in but me and 12,000 Yorkshire miners finally celebrated our long awaited return to the big time.

6. Sheffield united away - nearly home and hosed. Then had a great time watching the game at Anfield then it was all "Oi scum look what we've gone and done we've won division one - we are the champions" - probably our worst chant ever.

5 Charlton Home - 2nd leg of division 2 play off final - Bob Taylor making a surprise debut - the fullest I had seen Elland road for years, draw takes me down to Brum and our first pay off disaster.

4 Milan away - Dom Matteo scored from memory.

3. Coventry FA cup semifinal @ hillsbourgh. Sunshine, and nearly a journey to Wembley - just kick it out ormsby

2. Bristol Rovers Home - energy sapping, nerves frayed thanks to Gradel then elation courtesy of  Howson & Beckford. 

1.  Leicester Home - Strachens wonderful goal, Vinny in the directors box - and it was a false alarm we were promted at bournmouth. 
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Most memorable matches

Post by johnh »

In the early 1960's, Chelsea came to Elland Road. They wore an all purple strip, the wide boys from the smoke. Leeds went down to 10 men as Smith broke his leg (no subs then). Albert Johannson ran them ragged and scored both goals in a 2 - 0 win.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Southampton 3-4 Leeds

'nuff said :D
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

rigger wrote:Southampton 3-4 Leeds

'nuff said :D
My first Leeds game. :D
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Leeds 4 Liverpool 5 in I think ' 91 was pretty amazing, and Sheffield Wednesday 1 leeds 6 was probably the giddiest I've ever been, given I was 12 at the time.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

In terms of games I was at, either Liverpool purely for the yeboah volley, Leeds 3 man U 1 on Christmas eve, or the anderlecht game where bowyer scored twice to turn it round. All great memories
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Not that many due to the fact I live overseas but the ones i was at -

Bournemouth vs Leeds United 89-90 - promotion and division 2 championship sewn up - one of my favourite ever away trips

Leeds United vs Leicester City 89-90 - Strachan's winner

Leeds United vs Hull City 89-90 - Vinnie super strike, Hull's taking the lead :( then Strachan scores another winner

Leeds United vs Burnley 12-13 - not much of a game we won 1-0 Austin scored and only 17000 in the ground but it was the fact it was my first trip to Elland Road in 13 years so it was a good enough experience to be back home ;)

Live on TV -

Leeds vs Spurs 4-3 Viduka/Smith both score doubles 00-01
Leeds vs Liverpool 4-3 Viduka's 4 00-01
Chelsea vs Leeds 0-2 McPhail's double 00-01
Leeds vs Liverpool 4-3 Charity Shield 92-93
Leeds vs Bristol Rovers 2-1 09-10
Arsenal vs Leeds FA cup 1-1 10-11
Leeds vs Fulham 3-2 03-04

There probably more live games on the TV but its early in the morning and the brain's not fully awake :shock:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

My favourites:
2-0 v Carlisle in the play offs
2-0 v Preston in the play offs
4-3 v Southampton
2-1 v Bristol Rovers
1-0 v Man Utd in the FA Cup
4-3 v Liverpool when Viduka scored all 4
2-0 v Chelscum at the Bridge when McPhail scored 2
3-0 v Deportivo
1-1 v Barcelona even though I cried when Rivaldo scored in injury time
3-2 v Arsenal to stay up in the 02/03 season
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

1972 FA Cup Final as I have said before the cup used to be a domestic competition that every club wanted to win. Leaving North Yorkshire at midnight & queuing to get into the ground 12 hours later. That magic moment in our history when Sniffer scored that goal. It really annoys me these days how the cup has been devalued so much.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

7-0 win against Chelsea in the 60's was first match i remember going to, probably was taken before then but cant remember others.
3-0 v Brum in 72 semi because was a bit of a crush and us youngs uns were passed over the heads of the Leeds fans and allowed to sit pitch side.
1-2 v Bayern in Paris, not for the match but first time I'd been abroad without parents, just an adventure despite the dissapointment.
2-1 win at Arsenal in december 76, got a cheap train down there as British rail had put on a "christmas shoppers special" which got taken over by Leeds fans.
From Sgt Wilkos era the bournemouth promotion day and in the League champions season the away games at Villa and Wednesday stick out most.
For recent great days the Scum cup game along with the excitement of the Bristol rovers match are up there in the memory archives.

So many memories to be honest, Leeds Utd have played a big part in my life.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.