Redders

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: Redders

Post by Aces »

What and who is an Anti Redfearn Merchant ONS?

I have only seen some who question his ability to lead us up into the premiership, most if not all think he's done well in preventing us from getting relegated.

Not having a dig, but you make it sound as though there's loads really against him, I'm sure you don't mean that.

He should have experimented more once we were safe, but I agree not today.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

onenorthernsoul wrote:IF WE HAD LOST TODAY THEN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A NEW RECORD, 6 DEFEATS IN A ROW.

THAT IS NO TIME TO 'EXPERIMENT'. AND TO EXPERIMENT WOULD ADD EVEN MORE TO THE 'ANTI' REDFEARN MERCHANTS.
I know you must think me the anti Christ ONS but I'm with Costy on this one. We are safe, the game is unimportant, the chance to see other players in a competitive match was too good to miss. I Can't add much to what my young Padawan said - I think he nailed it. I'm not a Refearn hater either, I like his honesty and clear love for the club, I just don't think he's the one. He rode his luck in our purple patch and since it ended, we have been poor, his team selection has been rigid and his tactics (one up front - even at home) frankly dull.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

phil62 wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:IF WE HAD LOST TODAY THEN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A NEW RECORD, 6 DEFEATS IN A ROW.

THAT IS NO TIME TO 'EXPERIMENT'. AND TO EXPERIMENT WOULD ADD EVEN MORE TO THE 'ANTI' REDFEARN MERCHANTS.
I know you must think me the anti Christ ONS but I'm with Costy on this one. We are safe, the game is unimportant, the chance to see other players in a competitive match was too good to miss. I Can't add much to what my young Padawan said - I think he nailed it. I'm not a Refearn hater either, I like his honesty and clear love for the club, I just don't think he's the one. He rode his luck in our purple patch and since it ended, we have been poor, his team selection has been rigid and his tactics (one up front - even at home) frankly dull.
He adopted the rigid one striker approach to steer us away from promotion, and he's sticking to the squad that helped us get out of the relegation battle out of faith, although I would like for players like Dawson and Montenegro to get a bit more of a chance. He has said his preferred formstion is 4-4-2, but the one striker system was what was needed to achieve safety. Next season, If he's still here and we make the right forward and wide acquisitions, I expect in a more fluid way, as we'll be aiming for bigger things. We tried to play a more fluid way in the first half of the season and failed, so Redfearn adapted to what was needed - that deserves a lot of credit for his ability to show the innovation to do what was required. Whilst I understand he's no tactical genius and I think his use of the bench is questionable at times (although the subs he makes have had a positive impact upon occasion), but I think, no I know, he's the best we can get, with Cellino in charge, with Redfearn being the perfect man to develop our Young players into top Championship and then premiership players, and bring further Young players into the team.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

I can understand Redfearn sticking with his so called tried and trusted players a couple of months ago, but as soon as we were assured of avoiding relegation he should have been using the remaining games to establish which fringe players are part of our future.

In my opinion Sloth, Montenegro and N'Goyi, amongst others, have the potential to be in our starting eleven next season, but he has chosen not to give them the chance to show it.
phil62

Post by phil62 »

MOT1964 wrote:I can understand Redfearn sticking with his so called tried and trusted players a couple of months ago, but as soon as we were assured of avoiding relegation he should have been using the remaining games to establish which fringe players are part of our future.

In my opinion Sloth, Montenegro and N'Goyi, amongst others, have the potential to be in our starting eleven next season, but he has chosen not to give them the chance to show it.
Couldn't agree more
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Blimey, we WON!

Sorry, this game WAS important, for the reason I stated. Redfearn was/is on a hiding to nothing.

I've asked it before, all - do you want stability or chaotic unrest? They got rid of Thompson and the lots of good work this year by he & Redfearn started to crumble. Get Thompson back in and let them have a full pre-season and more than a few bloody weeks into the new season to see how they fare. THAT is all I want, I suspect some are misinterpreting my remarks about Redfearn. Something good was happening with Thompson alongside... then they bizarrely 'suspended' him.

Come on, 'anti -Redfearn merchants' is a trivial remark - there ARE people who want him out, I don't need to back that up, surely.

And course I don't think anyone's the anti-Christ on here etc, though there are some devilish comments sometimes. :D
Deleted User 130

Sloth was disappointing from the off. Montenegro looked unfit to me, Ngoyi was injured when he got here, I believe.

I don't get this 'he has his favourites' dig at Redfearn, as if it's a big sin. Of course he has bloomin' favourites, they'll be the ones who work hard for him and who rarely let him down. We haven't been good enough all season and neither has Redfearn on his own, they were doing pretty damned well with Thompson there, so how on earth people want Redfearn OUT when it should be more about demanding Thompson be back IN really does bewilder me.
TezzaWazzaBazza

Post by TezzaWazzaBazza »

There's a lot of competition in midfield. Sloth may be pretty good, but he probably hasn't earnt a place over the current midfielders. Dawson seems more exceptional an deserving.

I think people are a little hard on Redfearn at times. Top managers don't make the right decisions constantly, and if you have a brilliant squad there is less scope for errors. If a substitution doesn't work, so what? Maybe it would have on another day. No one can manage ny hindsight. I think Redfearn will turn out well if he's allowed to continue and has the players we need. Everyone makes mistakes, that's fine. Redfearn should be allowed to grow with the club. We don't need a top name, we need the right person at the right time.
Deleted User 130

:clap: :clap: :clap:
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

I remain convinced that we are totally unable to judge Redders at this time. He knows, Cellino knows and we know this team needs strengthening -- he has been saying it for months. The time to judge hm is when he's got those four or five QUALITY new players in to finish off this jigsaw. At the moment he is working wonders with half a team. I am convinced no one would do any better and I don't think there have been many options to play other than those he's picked .