2015/16 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: 2015/16 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Mellor »

Selby White wrote:
Mellor wrote:Sure I saw somewhere that Ajose's strike rate (goals per game started in Div 1 this season) is better than Beckford's. Probably nonsense but interesting nonsense all the same.
May have been true earlier in the season as Ajose got his 8 goals in his first 12 games for Crewe but they have since dried up. Still considering he was playing in a team that where struggling he did well on loan and deserves another look at on his return. He's still only 23 and could be one of them late developers bit like Beckford, remember he was nothing special at 23/24, we loaned him out to Scunny for a season where he scored 8 goals (same as Ajose at Crewe)

Beckford has done well for Preston with his goals i'll be surprised if they don't try very hard to keep him.
Ajose was flying at one point, scoring excellent goals as well I seem to remember.

If one or either return I hope they succeed.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
SG90

Post by SG90 »

HITC linking us with Pozo of Man City. I'm now convinved this site just reads posts off here and then claims they have sources to link us to players. http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/ ... eadlineday
SG90

Post by SG90 »

Re Beckford. We already have two strikers in their 30s and another one who is 29. I just don't see the point in signing another striker who'll need replacing in a year or so. Id' rather buy a young striker. Anyway the links to Beckford were probably from Redfearn, I can't see Roesler being interested in signing him.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Beckford was always a Marmite player even when here and scoring great goals, over 30 wasn't it? He clearly loved playing here but his work rate COULD have been better, as well as his finishing :D I'd have him back, I think there is a direct link to him apparently loving Leeds and therefore trying that bit more. Doesn't make it right but heyho. Also, I liked the look of Ajose when he was here so definitely have him back too. Beckford's legs are going but he still has plenty of potential impact and still has more in his so-called locker than anyone on the books. I'm quite sure that Rosler will make Leeds forwards better players anyway, whoever they are.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I dislike one dimensional poachers who need the entire team built around them and Beckford, though effective at a certain level, would not be a good signing for us unless he was only used as a plan B and kept on the bench, but I doubt he'd sign up for that.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

rigger wrote:I dislike one dimensional poachers who need the entire team built around them and Beckford, though effective at a certain level, would not be a good signing for us unless he was only used as a plan B and kept on the bench, but I doubt he'd sign up for that.
What a real goal poached strike that was from the halfway line just about :D

He can score some great goals, 'one-dimensional' isn't the Beckford I've seen.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

From The Daily Star:
And The Sun:
But Phil Hay has quashed half of this rumour:
Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP · 1h1 hour ago
A catch-all tweet to answer a million questions - Leeds haven't signed Jermaine Beckford. Paul Robinson I'm not sure about. #lufc
Last edited by SiMamu on 27 May 2015, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
NikosAGr1985
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by NikosAGr1985 »

Right. So have we or have we not signed them????
Massimo Cellino: "I 've bought garbage players with the McCormack money".
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

What was the collective conclusion re whether re-signing Paul Robinson was a good or bad idea? Although we all like the idea of a straigh-up no.1 (i.e. Bentley), provided PR wouldn't be on ludicrous wages it'd be great having him coaching/competing with Silvestri.

On the strikers front, I'm with you Rigger - Ross was the last forward we built a team around, and although he merited it, having an ever-present focal point does tend to leave the team devoid of ideas when they're not firing, or not playing. I'd much rather have a Chris Wood type striker who can score poacher's goals, but also play up top alone, or as part of a front 2 or 3.

Ajose had a great start to last season, but then went very quiet to the extent that he was dropped for much of the latter half of the season. He may still have it in him, but he's not the player we need right now.

I still naively log on here every day hoping to see some concrete news about a nippy, skillful winger...
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

The media start rumours, end rumours and sell papers as a result.

Agree with the sentiments rigger but never had Beckford down as a goal poacher - at his best, playing off the shoulder of the last man he was a constant threat. I never thought him lazy, languid would be a better description. His pace meant no defence could rest knowing he could do them in a flash. I would love the Beckford we lost back at ER. I doubt he exists.

Sharp, there's a goal poacher. To this day his signing baffles me.

Best sides vary their point of attack and do it at speed. The current Barca front 3 may be the best ever assembled. Clearly we are nowhere near that level but both Watford and AFCB attacked right across the pitch, at pace and in numbers. No role for the Sharp's of this world in the best teams for me.

If we don't recruit some attacking pace I'll be disappointed. Fans and managers all agree it's what we need.

Having said all of that I would take a young Jimmy Greaves in a flash :D
Last edited by Mellor on 27 May 2015, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente