Was Redfearn really treated badly?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Was Redfearn really treated badly?

Post by phil62 »

Okay, I know that there will be some spirited comments on this one but... now the dust had settled the question needs to be asked. Here's my view for what it's worth: no.

Redfearn took over in the knowledge that his contract ran until the end of the season. It expired and was not renewed. Did Redfearn deserve an extension based on results or his management of the team? No. His win ratio was less the 33% and we had a very, very poor finish to the season. His team selections for the last 6 games or so were baffling, especially at home where he repeatedly went with one up front. It was unadventurous and boring. He has the opportunity to take his academy role up again, presumably he got his bonus for Leeds staying in the Championship, he will always be well regarded by Leeds fans BUT... was he really the man for the job long term? I think not. He got what he was entitled to under the terms of his contract, he was not screwed over.

Why post this? Everybody keeps trailing this line about him being treated disgracefully but I don't think his record warrants the post full time. I have nothing against the guy and hope he succeeds with whatever he decides to do next, but the appointment of Rosler is a step up to another level and I hope people can disembark the Redfearn pity train and move on. It might just be the start of something better. Okay, I've said it - unleash the dogs of war! :wtf:
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Was Redfearn really treated badly?

Post by SiMamu »

He wasn't treated badly because he didn't get the job full time, he was treated badly because Cellino never spoke to him, whilst searching for his replacement, to tell him where he stood. He was treated badly because of the off the field drama he had to put up with - particularly with the Steve Thompson suspension, of which no reason has yet to be officially gIvey for why Thompson was suspended. And the crowning reason for why Redfearn was treated badly was this interview that Cellino gave: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... se-5709088
How can you not consider Redfearn badly treated after being humiliated by Cellino in this interview? Being called 'weak' and 'a baby'. The complete lack of respect shown to Redfearn by Cellino is why Redfearn is considered to have been poorly treated.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I agree with both of you actually.
On reflection I don't think he did enough to get the job permanently and he - like ALL our "coaches" so far under Cellino - was not treated with much respect while he was in the job.

I guess the great unknown is would things have been different if he'd been accorded more respect by the chairman ?
He may well have shone or he might just as easily done no better whatsoever or even been worse ... we will never know.
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

Yes he was really treated badly.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

Must say little surprised about this thread and topic, more so because you seem to base your view on results.

Do I believe Redfearn was the right man for the job, probably not.
The way Cellino has walked into Leeds and treated people is awful.
Redfearn a life long Leeds fan who has done so much for this club, helping to developing our youth who were our highlight last season. To be treated by Cellino with a totally lack of dignity is shameful. :thumbdown:

No he wasn't treated badly, he was treat far worse IMHO
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

By Cellino, yes he has been treated badly.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Nesslin wrote: Redfearn a life long Leeds fan who has done so much for this club, helping to developing our youth who were our highlight last season.
That was his job though! He isn't some saint, doing it out of love for the club or as an act of selfless charity. And I imagine he was paid a damn sight more than I am for teaching children to read and write. Maybe Cellino wasn't as respectful to him following the season's end as he should have been to an employee, but the rhetoric used to describe his 'treatment' is at times a bit excessive.
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

Costy wrote:
Nesslin wrote: Redfearn a life long Leeds fan who has done so much for this club, helping to developing our youth who were our highlight last season.
That was his job though! He isn't some saint, doing it out of love for the club or as an act of selfless charity. And I imagine he was paid a damn sight more than I am for teaching children to read and write. Maybe Cellino wasn't as respectful to him following the season's end as he should have been to an employee, but the rhetoric used to describe his 'treatment' is at times a bit excessive.
I imagine Don Revie was the same. So unless our manger is successful on the pitch, its ok to treat him with a total lack of dignity regardless of them being a Leeds fan and doing great things for the club in other area's? What about Eddie Gray?

I just don't get the judge Redfearn on results as a manager after all he has done for Leeds. He deserves respect
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

The topic asks was Redfearn treated badly and in my humble opinion i would say yes he was by Cellino.

Maybe the topic should have a different heading if we want to delve deeper about it or just make it an easy to answer poll :D

I liked redders a lot by the way but did i want him as our long term manager.,....no
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Not sure Redfearn is the right man for the job, but he wasn't given a fair crack of the whip in role with the removal of Thompson. One thing is for sure Cellinos man management skills are close to non existent on occasions. I hear from informed parties within the club, that Cellino is misunderstood and a far more affable character than bates or indeed the GFH crowd, regardless of that he consistently undermines his employees which in my view has a direct impact ultimately on results.