Was Redfearn really treated badly?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 2747

Re: Was Redfearn really treated badly?

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

phil62 wrote:
Frankie wrote:
phil62 wrote:
birkybullufc wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:
Nesslin wrote:Must say little surprised about this thread and topic, more so because you seem to base your view on results.

Do I believe Redfearn was the right man for the job, probably not.
The way Cellino has walked into Leeds and treated people is awful.
Redfearn a life long Leeds fan who has done so much for this club, helping to developing our youth who were our highlight last season. To be treated by Cellino with a totally lack of dignity is shameful. :thumbdown:

No he wasn't treated badly, he was treat far worse IMHO
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Of course he was treated badly by Cellino. I've no problem with the thread idea, except all you've done is list reasons why you think he shouldn't have been given the head coach's job.
What's this? Phil62 didn't think Redfearn should be given the Head Coach's job? That must have been what he was on about in his last 50 posts. :?
Erm 51 actually. The response has been what I expected from the Redfearn fan club although interesting that most seem to agree he didn't deserve the job on a permanent basis. The argument about developing the academy players or being loyal to Leeds doesn't hold much water for me - we sacked or hounded out Eddie Gray, Alan Clarke, Billy Bremner, Gary Macallister, Simon Grayson, all of whom were 'Leeds' stalwarts through and through. The academy players have done well, but you seem to suggest this is all down to Redfearn, maybe he got lucky with a crop of young players (think O Leary).This is football, it is a business based on results, like it or not. I agree Cellino should have kept Redfearn informed out of courtesy (although we don't know for sure he didn't as far as I can see and I'm not sure I would rely on the Mirror for any information that could be considered cast iron). However, he was doing his job, a job for which he has been well paid (with Cellinos money). He did what was asked of him, kept us up, and was rewarded for doing so as promised - but his tenure didn't warrant the post full time.

Anyway, he's gone, so let's stop beating on about it and get behind the new man. I hope this thread ends the Redfearn debate as that was the intention. I was just getting a little tired of the deification of the man. I won't be posting about him again - 51 is probably enough by anyone's standards.
Bizarre train of thought that if someone may not be good enough for a job, even thought they were employed to do that job, then for some reason, it is OK to treat them badly. Why is it acceptable to treat anyone badly?? ....
That's only if you think he was treated badly which is the whole point of this thread - I don't. He was not promised the job after the end of the season so it can't have been a shock to the system. Besides which he's not a child, he's an experienced journeyman in football and knows how the game operates - like it or loathe it. I think he was aware all along that he may not be handed a new contract. It would have been bad treatment if he had and then it was withdrawn, but that wasn't the case. I don't think the wool was pulled over his eyes. In the end he was judged on results that fell short of what was expected in terms of this season and also looking forward to next. If Cellino had kept him on and he had had a poor start to the season everyone would have been complaining and blaming the owner - damned if he does, dammed if he doesn't.
Obviously my definition of someone being treated badly differs greatly from yours. You are saying that it is acceptable to treat someone like crap, cos that's how it is done! You are condoning and accepting that employees can be treated in this way. I am saying why treat anyone like crap for whatever reason - not acceptable really!
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:In answer to the the question. Yes.

That is all that needs to be said.
Exactly this above, as SL has put it. :clap:

P.S. - Thread's title is a closed question.
Closed questions are designed to evoke a yes or no answer from person(s) being asked.
If thoughts or opinions etc are required, then OP should have posed an open question, e.g. "How well, or badly, do you think Redfearn was treated, and why?"
Simples. :thumbup:
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Cellino's bonkers. I like him, but he's bonkers. Redfearn surely knew he was bonkers too. The "lack of respect" stuff Neil would have expected, I'd imagine. All part of the Cellino deal. Where he was treated badly was over Steve Thompson. With Thompson Leeds looked good, we looked like we could win (or at least not lose) every match. When Thompson was "suspended" it looked like the air had escaped from the LUFC ball. Redfearn was shafted, basically, in that one move. Whether that move was made with or without Cellino's approval we may never know.

As a caveat, I like Cellino in the same way I like Ian Holloway and Paolo Di Canio. They are interesting and colourful characters but I don't know if I'd want them at my club. ;)
tc1x23
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by tc1x23 »

Yes undoubtedly.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

YEP states that Redfearn has been offered (and accepted) his old job in charge of the Academy.
I once played against Don Revie.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

A good day at the office ----- actually the last week. All the back room staff in place two signings of potential and restoration of our best acadamy manager since Paul hart? Bamber may be on his way. Spend a good 3/4 million on forward players and we have a fighting chance.
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:In answer to the the question. Yes.

That is all that needs to be said.
Absolutely! A yes from me too and nothing to do with the question as to whether he was the right man to get the head coach job for another spell. I have just got back from hols and am slowly wading through all the posts so for the time being my answers will have to be short!
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Handled badly - yes.

Treated badly - no. Arguably out of his depth, paid for what he did, agreement to return to the academy complied with.

Interestingly NR appears to lack the ambition to back himself as a head coach, somewhere. I'm happy he's staying but that lack of ambition suggests MC was right to replace him even though he handled it badly.

MC should make a statement telling the world how glad he is NR is staying. Thank him for his achievements as caretaker. Then we can all move on. Honour preserved. In short, act like adults :thumbup:
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

Mellor wrote:Handled badly - yes.

Treated badly - no. Arguably out of his depth, paid for what he did, agreement to return to the academy complied with.

Interestingly NR appears to lack the ambition to back himself as a head coach, somewhere. I'm happy he's staying but that lack of ambition suggests MC was right to replace him even though he handled it badly.

MC should make a statement telling the world how glad he is NR is staying. Thank him for his achievements as caretaker. Then we can all move on. Honour preserved. In short, act like adults :thumbup:
I just posted on another thread how astonished I am he is staying and I really am intrigued to see how the adults all put the events of recent weeks behind them - as you say, there is no reason why they can't all shake hands and be mature about it......but that is not the Cellino we have usually seen!
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

We travel in hope DLW. Hope you had a good holiday.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente