21 years of success

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: 21 years of success

Post by Mellor »

We have lots of things to be proud of as Lufc supporters but providing players for other clubs probably isn't one of them and showing their trophies in a graphic is, for me at least, embarrassing.

The key to a successful academy is spotting the talent in the first place - in the 21 years mentioned, apart from Lennon, how many (decent) players with genuine pace have we found and developed. Kewell was pre graphic and found us from memory. I struggle to understand why players of pace continually elude us. Criminal really.

Isn't the youth trophy often won by the biggest kids (another disappointing trait of the English game).

Interesting reading Dave Brailsford this morning, arguably his team, Sky and before that GB cycling, is the most successful in any sport in the UK. He talks about complacency, settling for what you have rather than continually seeking excellence, ruffling feathers, generating a challenging atmosphere. At Lufc fans seem to prefer looking back to what we had rather than forward to what we should have. Brailsford changed his support team to regenerate. He's a master manager of course. Doubt we have anyone similar at ER, none of Rossler's team stand out from what I've read of them but you never know.

I am proud of our academy (and Lufc) by the way but it's clearly not the finished article and interestingly it seems to produce talent whoever's coaching destroying one or two recent myths. It should be in the heart of the city where kids from the estates can get involved, watching, playing and hopefully succeeding. Sticking it in the poshest part of town where players and residents all drive Range Rovers probably isn't the best location. Too cosy?
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Danny Rose also has pace, he was signed by Spurs from us when he was 16. Byram and Cook are no slouches - Cook is quicker than most central midfielders.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

Mellor wrote:We have lots of things to be proud of as Lufc supporters but providing players for other clubs probably isn't one of them and showing their trophies in a graphic is, for me at least, embarrassing.

The key to a successful academy is spotting the talent in the first place - in the 21 years mentioned, apart from Lennon, how many (decent) players with genuine pace have we found and developed. Kewell was pre graphic and found us from memory. I struggle to understand why players of pace continually elude us. Criminal really.

Isn't the youth trophy often won by the biggest kids (another disappointing trait of the English game).

Interesting reading Dave Brailsford this morning, arguably his team, Sky and before that GB cycling, is the most successful in any sport in the UK. He talks about complacency, settling for what you have rather than continually seeking excellence, ruffling feathers, generating a challenging atmosphere. At Lufc fans seem to prefer looking back to what we had rather than forward to what we should have. Brailsford changed his support team to regenerate. He's a master manager of course. Doubt we have anyone similar at ER, none of Rossler's team stand out from what I've read of them but you never know.

I am proud of our academy (and Lufc) by the way but it's clearly not the finished article and interestingly it seems to produce talent whoever's coaching destroying one or two recent myths. It should be in the heart of the city where kids from the estates can get involved, watching, playing and hopefully succeeding. Sticking it in the poshest part of town where players and residents all drive Range Rovers probably isn't the best location. Too cosy?

Now can you tell me how many quality players with or without pace, Cellino produced at Cagliari via their academy in his 20+ years? I'm guessing it must be a hell of a lot, seeing he knows what's best to do about ours :roll
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Mellor wrote:Has Cellino ever said he 'doesn't want' the academy? I realise he's questioned a number of things (he's correct about location for sure) but I don't actually recall him saying 'he doesn't want' the/an academy.

Don't know if my screen's too small but I can't see the 'Lufc trophies won during the academy years' entry ;)
Your absolutely right one flippant comment about man city poaching one of our youngsters and people jump on the band wagon that he is going to close the acadamy - nonsense. Cellino has constantly taked about developing and retaining our youngsters. He is also talking about buying a new facility. I am concerned Redfearn has gone but realistically his position was always going to be untenable once he was promoted.

Best player to come out of it - woodgate for me.
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Great shout on Woody. A fully fit Woody was genuinely world class.
attacco decente
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

We certainly have been as good if not better than most over that period, but I think the way it is now is that the stand out ones are cherry picked by the money boys prior to 16, if not, then they keep an eye on them until 18 take them then and stick them into the development squad for a couple of years then out on loan for another couple of years until they realise they are not going to be as good as the multi million pound signings they have made in the meantime.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Cellino doesn't want to close it, but I'm worried he will have a negative impact on it, with his attempts at cutting the costs of it. The players in the first team that graduated from the academy justify the running costs, as the running costs are definitely cheaper than what it would cost to sign a player of a similar level of quality to all the graduates. His attempts at streamlining the coaching also seems a bit risky. He's fixed what was broken financially with the club, but the academy was in no way broken - yet he's trying to tinker with it. With the academy, it seems sensible to appeal to the old adage of 'if ain't broke, don't fix it'.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just to add to the debate i found this list that rates the academies based on number of players performing in europes top 5 leagues (English, Spanish, Italian, German & French).

I know its a couple of years old 2013 but cant find anything more recent but it does provide an interesting snapshot.

Would imagine the four players we produced playing top level at that stage would have neen Lennon, Milner, Howson & Delph.
Can now had Rose so reckon we maybe moved up a little.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
SG90

Post by SG90 »

How many of them are actually developed by the clubs and not signed from abroad at 16? I can't imagine Arsenal have that many academy products. I don't think that's fair to compare to teams that actually develop their own.
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

That's an interesting table SW. It would be really interesting to see a £ per 'star' produced table. As it is the table suggests what we have is fine but can be improved.

Always surprises me that we seem to learn nothing (about anything) from Rhinos. Their academy, on the banks of the Aire about 4 bus stops from the town centre and in walking distance for 1000s of kids, has a great track record I think. Heart of the community, walking distance from the ground and handy for Morrison's.
attacco decente