2015/16 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 130

Re: 2015/16 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Blimey folks, tongue in cheek suggestions that Cellino is possibly heading towards Saint status? But seriously, come on, THE reason we are enjoying a settled time is his recruitment of Adam Pearson. Rosler was a great appointment too, though plenty on here seem to have forgotten that they weren't impressed with the choice.

I definitely feared the worst about the young stars leaving if Redfearn was shunted out. I'm always 'brave' enough to admit when I'm wrong, and I was, but if people choose to ignore Cellino's attitude changing after he caused much unrest over the Thompson and then Redfearn 'sackings' then there might be a rude awakening one day.

Adam Pearson is the reason Cellino has seen the light and been behaving and making sensible choices and hiring people instead of firing, and long may it continue. He's bringing good out of Cellino, they seem to be working v well together.

The squad for me isn't there yet, but it's a solid beginning. I don't think it is a case of no ambition, more just a gentle move in the right direction. I still think the month of the re-retrials :P will be highly significant for Cellino's, Pearson's and the club's future.

Good on Cellino, I've said it loads of times, he is at last doing a good job.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP · 17m17 minutes ago
Talks to sever Ajose's #lufc contract still ongoing. Coventry and Swindon keen. Ajose could join either as a free agent outside the window.
If I told you that Ajose has the same agent as Cameron Stewart then you can imagine why neither side is rushing to do the other favours.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 130

Thank feck for him he hasn't the same agent as De Gea :P
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

I must say I am quite surprised by some of the negative comments on this thread when you look at recent years compared to now.

Nesslin in particular I think you need to have a sit down and actually think about what you are saying. Your negativity is exactly what has to stop from our fans, suggesting a lack of ambition. We paid 3 mil for a proven striker, that is ambitious, we bought a winger who had a excellent season with a rival last year, again ambitious by taking our rivals better players, we signed our best performer from the second half of last season on a permanent basis. We paid over £1mil for a young winger with pace to burn, good skills and a lot of potential. We also signed a holding midfielder who is the not too distant past was player of the year for his club and is still only 23 (loan with option to buy). I addition to that there has been no, mention of any of our prized assets leaving, not because people don't want them but because it has been made clear they are not for sale.

I struggle to see a lack of ambition in this. I look at our squad now and it is the best it has been for years and not overcrowded either and full of journeymen. As mentioned by others the only thing missing was maybe get rid of Wootton and get a proven CB as well as some LB cover, although Berardi can provide that with Byram now likely to move back to RB.

Sorry for the rant but negativity like that just riles me when you look how far we have come in the last couple of years. And I am not overly pro-Cellino as the guy is a bit of a head case but he has done us good. Before he took over we were run by the only skint Arabs in football who ran up even more debt, before that we had Bates - no explanation needed.

Anyway on a lighter note I am really looking forward to seeing what 'the wizard' can do.
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

HalifaxWhite wrote:I must say I am quite surprised by some of the negative comments on this thread when you look at recent years compared to now.

Nesslin in particular I think you need to have a sit down and actually think about what you are saying. Your negativity is exactly what has to stop from our fans, suggesting a lack of ambition. We paid 3 mil for a proven striker, that is ambitious, we bought a winger who had a excellent season with a rival last year, again ambitious by taking our rivals better players, we signed our best performer from the second half of last season on a permanent basis. We paid over £1mil for a young winger with pace to burn, good skills and a lot of potential. We also signed a holding midfielder who is the not too distant past was player of the year for his club and is still only 23 (loan with option to buy). I addition to that there has been no, mention of any of our prized assets leaving, not because people don't want them but because it has been made clear they are not for sale.

I struggle to see a lack of ambition in this. I look at our squad now and it is the best it has been for years and not overcrowded either and full of journeymen. As mentioned by others the only thing missing was maybe get rid of Wootton and get a proven CB as well as some LB cover, although Berardi can provide that with Byram now likely to move back to RB.

Sorry for the rant but negativity like that just riles me when you look how far we have come in the last couple of years. And I am not overly pro-Cellino as the guy is a bit of a head case but he has done us good. Before he took over we were run by the only skint Arabs in football who ran up even more debt, before that we had Bates - no explanation needed.

Anyway on a lighter note I am really looking forward to seeing what 'the wizard' can do.

I was sitting down when I expressed my opinion. You may call my opinion negative and has to stop, but I call it realism and why should I start being fake and pretend I'm positive about the current situation, to suit you?
Our squad maybe the best it has been for years, but this doesn't make it acceptable.
If Leeds have an average Championship squad and I believe they do, that will never be acceptable to me!!!
You can compare MC to the likes of Bates all you want, many do. The fact and I also believe he is better than Bates(but who isn't), again doesn't make him a acceptable owner.

Woods is the proven three million striker we bought? Proven, as in?
Teams in our league now are bidding more on one player than we are funding for our whole transfer budget, that's also the reality of the championship.

Every single fan has something in common, we all want Leeds to get promoted. I hope I'm proven wrong but what I have seen of Leeds already this season, I doubt I will be, and that is not acceptable to me.

MOT
Tourist
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Tourist »

HalifaxWhite wrote: Anyway on a lighter note I am really looking forward to seeing what 'the wizard' can do.
I know it's only a youtube clip, but there you go :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQUZJ2Masz0
cornishone
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by cornishone »

Would just like to point out that on the starting page of this thread - back in March a certain Simamu posted his predicted lineup for this season as thus:
On that front, my starting lineup for next season is:
---------------Silvestri
Berardi-Bamba-Bellusci-C.Taylor
---------Murphy-Cook
Byram--------Mowatt-----New Left Winger
--------------New Striker

Well done Si.... almost prophetic. Looks as though you've always had faith we would hold onto the fruits of the Academy as well as acquire a couple of players for key positions and it's happened! :clap:
p.s where do you get your inside info?
Can you post a lineup for 2016/17 please :P
AndyG15
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by AndyG15 »

HalifaxWhite wrote:I must say I am quite surprised by some of the negative comments on this thread when you look at recent years compared to now.

I too am a little surprised by some of the negativity on the transfer window but the general quick fire negativity is quite plain to see when the team doesn't perform to the stratisferic levels that is a built in requirement for all of us ;).

For me I like to take a slightly longer view and I think for anyone involved in building teams (in any walk of life) it is a time consuming process to get that team to perform to its true potential. For Leeds we have had a massive upheaval over the last 2 close seasons and in some ways I am actually quite amazed we perform at all given all these changes. Trying to get 11 people to perform well week in week out is something that takes time, a lot of time, and it does annoy me when we get comments like those directed at Chris Wood who had only had 2-3 games for us and wasn't scoring hat tricks that he needed to be dropped and why the heck did we even buy him in the first place!

Building the team is an iterative process and some of the signings will work and some won't, but knowing what you need is also a difficult task. I think UW / AP / MC have been very considered in this window and have shopped well and I feel we are, albeit, slowly moving in the right direction. This is, as we all know, a very tight league and to get out of it you need a team of 11 (good) players, playing at the top of their games for 85%+ of the season. If you have a team of 7 good players and 4 OK players you are going to be no where near but getting the right players and the right blend is not something that will be achieved overnight.

I think our squad now is much better than 12 months ago and our acquisitions have been nicely considered and thought out. We are not the finished article by quite a long way but the potential is there for this squad to develop into a team that is better than anything we have supported over the last 10 years and I think to a point (although he is a nutter at times) MC is trying to achieve his original goals of getting us back to the PL. If the bringing in of Adam Pearson is part of the success then I applaud Cellino a little for understanding some of his frailties and trying to get his house in order so club generally performs well at all levels. I would love for us to slowly bring it all together and get the world to look on approvingly at how it has been done rather than sniggering at us and thanking God it isn't their club!
Deleted User 130

HalifaxWhite, Nesslin has been on this forum for a couple of years now, whereas you have only recently joined. She and I rarely agree on stuff but her opinion is valid, it's hardly knee-jerk reacting. I'm in between, re ambition, I think the club has shown some decent foresight and ambition, but not as much as we have been promised by Cellino. I'm hopeful we're on the right, stable track, and Pearson is the main reason imo for that, after being brought in of course by Il Duce :D
Deleted User 130

Where is all this 'negativity' that's being mentioned on here?