Alex Mowatt

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Alex Mowatt

Post by LAsouthcoast »

It would be interesting to hear how he is in training, as to if he struggles in the physical stuff or it might be a developing thing still. I do think in years to come he might have to be a bit careful with his shape as he looks like one who could easily struggle a bit. Then again over the next month or two he might hit a rich vein of form and we wont be mentioning any of this, lets hope so because I think he has the talent.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

He won last season's supporters' Player of the Year award as well as the Players' POTY award so he hasn't just deteriorated, he's a great player... but players of all ages get jaded and Mowatt does look jaded to me. Hard to understand if he is, but that's for the club to resolve. Coming on as a sub isn't easy for most players, and he certainly isn't an 'impact' sub for me, that's more the role of attackers or players who have pace and take on opponents.
LAsouthcoast

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Agree with that ons, he needs us backing him while he goes through this patch so his talent will come through it.
phil62

Post by phil62 »

onenorthernsoul wrote:He won last season's supporters' Player of the Year award as well as the Players' POTY award so he hasn't just deteriorated, he's a great player... but players of all ages get jaded and Mowatt does look jaded to me. Hard to understand if he is, but that's for the club to resolve. Coming on as a sub isn't easy for most players, and he certainly isn't an 'impact' sub for me, that's more the role of attackers or players who have pace and take on opponents.
Well I didn't vote for him!
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

It's odd, I think, but keeping our home grown talent was some kind of litmus test of MCs ambition/commitment but it seems many doubt one or two of them are good enough/wouldn't play them and so on. Totems are always unhelpful.

As for Mowatt, his position (so too Byram's truth be told) in the starting 11 is clearly under threat - rotation or no rotation. Interestingly both our stars are playing out of position for me with the result that both are struggling to 'push' on. Arguably an inevitable consequence of our recruitment policy. Any more in though and they might be lucky to even see the bench. Hope not cos I'm still in the home grown team wherever possible camp.

In the wee small hours I also ask myself about our academy. Some claim it's world class, category 2 suggests otherwise I guess, but if our youngsters ability is now being questioned by fans wasn't MC right to do the same?

Complicated business running a football club. Mowatt's lack of pace always gonna be a hurdle for him to leap as many have said. Hope he succeeds cos he really was a worthy PPOTY last season, for me at least.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

This whole discussion kind of ticks me off in a way. It highlights how fickle some fans are, how short their memories are and how impatient people can be.
Mowatt is a talented young footballer. He is still learning his trade and is still growing physically. His goals last season were invaluable in us staying in the league. People are always quick to look at what players can't do before appreciating what they can.
Also, pace isn't everything in football. As far as I know none of the 100m finalists in the World Championships would be good enough to play for Leeds.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Deleted User 130

phil62 wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:He won last season's supporters' Player of the Year award as well as the Players' POTY award so he hasn't just deteriorated, he's a great player... but players of all ages get jaded and Mowatt does look jaded to me. Hard to understand if he is, but that's for the club to resolve. Coming on as a sub isn't easy for most players, and he certainly isn't an 'impact' sub for me, that's more the role of attackers or players who have pace and take on opponents.
Well I didn't vote for him!
:D I didn't vote for anyone.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

birkybullufc wrote:This whole discussion kind of ticks me off in a way. It highlights how fickle some fans are, how short their memories are and how impatient people can be.
Mowatt is a talented young footballer. He is still learning his trade and is still growing physically. His goals last season were invaluable in us staying in the league. People are always quick to look at what players can't do before appreciating what they can.
Also, pace isn't everything in football. As far as I know none of the 100m finalists in the World Championships would be good enough to play for Leeds.
Well said Birky, "form is temporary, class is permanent".
Mowatt is a very good talent and to be fair I don't think he's been as bad as some are trying to suggest.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

No surprise really Byram & Mowatt are being played in a different position - square pegs round holes possibly?
Deleted User 130

isrodger wrote:No surprise really Byram & Mowatt are being played in a different position - square pegs round holes possibly?
could well be it, let's just hope the coach knows what's best. I think it was Sheepy who said that he thinks Mowatt would be best suited playing in front of the centre-halves. I definitely WOULDN'T want him there, he should be up near the front line imo. It's all opinions :D