Would you be happy sitting alongside a Man Utd fan?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Would you be happy sitting alongside a Man Utd fan?

Post by Sheepy »

The guy on the opposite shift to me in my last job supported them, we always had a bit of good natured banter and he was a top bloke despite his poor taste in footy.

I can dislike clubs and supporters as a faceless group, but I think its hard to dislike someone purely based on who they support, it may be a case that they are a horrible person and their choice of club enhances their horribleness but generally I take people as I find em.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I dunno .. sometimes I'll just take badly to someone introduced to me as a red of either persuasion down here.
But then there's a fair few Leeds fans I'm not keen on either ;)
Southstander
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Southstander »

My closest friend from my service days in a ManUre fan. Was his best man at his wedding where more than half those there were ManUre fans as well. Lots of mutual banter and more than a few beers shared and in the end we all got on together. Would no doubt be a different proposition if we were playing them but hey thats football and I did enjoy rubbing salt into the wound after Beckford put them in their place ;)

Also visit Germany whenever I can to take in Dortmund match. Have a friend on their medical staff who invited me over once and have never looked back. Love going over to watch my second team and always made to feel welcome by the Germans and quite surprised by how many other Brits go over for matches. Some great nights in the chip shop pub after matches followed by some great hangovers. Sorry to say but it is like visiting a different planet going to watch Dortmund after watching Leeds. After all the hospitality shown to me once found myself having to defend a German Dortmund fan in a British pub once after some drunken lowlife decided to take it upon himself to have a go at the German guy and his girlfriend. Had never met them before but are now firm friends and aint that what life is about, making new friends. :thumbup:
IF THIS CLUB WAS A RACEHORSE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SHOT LONG AGO TO PUT AN END TO ITS SUFFERING
Deleted User 728

I agree completely about German football, fans and their culture for sport in general.
Marvelous country, great people.

I've drunk with Germans at an England match inside the stadium during the World Cup in South Africa - they were all wearing Bafana Bafana shirts so I thought they were Afrikaaners at first till it slowly dawned on me .. then we rapidly got p155ed together :D

I too my sister to watch her very first match - at the age of 50 - in Hamburg in November last year and was blown away by the atmosphere, the beer, the food, the stadium, the beer, the songs, the chanting, the beer, the smoke, the noise, the beer, the friendly nature of it all, the beer, the fact that there were almost as many women in the ground as men, the beer ..
At the end of the match after a particularly nail-biting hour or so with their backs-to-the-walls, HSV managed to hang on for a jammy 1-0 win (van der Vaart pen early doors) and there was a mental goalmouth scramble, real Sunday league stuff, just before the final whistle. Somehow they kept Leverkusen at bay and given one team was 3rd from bottom and the other 3rd from top, it was an epic victory. The fella next to me had been sitting nervously with his wife throughout, smoking like a chimney, and when the ref finally ended it he hugged and kissed her, jumping up and down like a loon and then he turned to me - this bear of a man - and squeezed the life out of me before shouting "ein Sheiten feiten deiten keiten leiten !!" or something ... it was way to fast for me to understand but I replied "Entschuldigung - ich bin Englander !" and he laughed, bear-hugged me again and bellowed "KEVIN KEEGAN !" and then I was his new best mate .. :D

I'm happy to see German bars slowly opening up round the country at long last. I think we're finally seeing the last vestiges of the "They bombed our chip shop" brigade disappearing back under their rocks and at last we can all enjoy currywurst and wheat beer !
There's a good one in Bristol near waterfront and another one has just opened up in Southampton too.

PROST ! :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:I agree completely about German football, fans and their culture for sport in general.
Marvelous country, great people.

I've drunk with Germans at an England match inside the stadium during the World Cup in South Africa - they were all wearing Bafana Bafana shirts so I thought they were Afrikaaners at first till it slowly dawned on me .. then we rapidly got p155ed together :D

I too my sister to watch her very first match - at the age of 50 - in Hamburg in November last year and was blown away by the atmosphere, the beer, the food, the stadium, the beer, the songs, the chanting, the beer, the smoke, the noise, the beer, the friendly nature of it all, the beer, the fact that there were almost as many women in the ground as men, the beer ..
At the end of the match after a particularly nail-biting hour or so with their backs-to-the-walls, HSV managed to hang on for a jammy 1-0 win (van der Vaart pen early doors) and there was a mental goalmouth scramble, real Sunday league stuff, just before the final whistle. Somehow they kept Leverkusen at bay and given one team was 3rd from bottom and the other 3rd from top, it was an epic victory. The fella next to me had been sitting nervously with his wife throughout, smoking like a chimney, and when the ref finally ended it he hugged and kissed her, jumping up and down like a loon and then he turned to me - this bear of a man - and squeezed the life out of me before shouting "ein Sheiten feiten deiten keiten leiten !!" or something ... it was way to fast for me to understand but I replied "Entschuldigung - ich bin Englander !" and he laughed, bear-hugged me again and bellowed "KEVIN KEEGAN !" and then I was his new best mate .. :D

I'm happy to see German bars slowly opening up round the country at long last. I think we're finally seeing the last vestiges of the "They bombed our chip shop" brigade disappearing back under their rocks and at last we can all enjoy currywurst and wheat beer !
There's a good one in Bristol near waterfront and another one has just opened up in Southampton too.

PROST ! :D
Is he not French?

:crazy:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

I'm a quarter French - my mum's parents - but totally European.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:I'm a quarter French - my mum's parents - but totally European.
Lol I know you are of a very cosmopolitan nature mate. I was referring to Prost

I'll get my coat
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote:I'm a quarter French - my mum's parents - but totally European.
Lol I know you are of a very cosmopolitan nature mate. I was referring to Prost

I'll get my coat

Ah !
You mean Alain !? :lol:

Sorry mate .. good one !

Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Been to the austerity demo today in Manchester. Happy to stand side by side with the Mancs (blue & red). Great day, sun shone and the fight back has begun.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Mellor wrote:Happy to stand side by side with the Mancs (blue & red). Great day, sun shone and the fight back has begun.
I'd rather walk the plank than stand next to the boys in red, but glad you enjoyed your day.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.